Good deal on a used Huskee 22?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I think I might have found the splitter I've been looking for. One year old Huskee 22 ton. The owner said he has split less than a cord of wood. He doesn't even heat his house with wood. He uses it to split a little wood for his barbecues. He paid $1200 and is asking $900. I pointed out that TSC has them on sale for $1000 right now, with a warranty. I said that, providing everything checks out, $800 would be more to my liking. He said he'd take $800 if I come get it today. It's a two hour drive but I think it'll be worth it.

One of my potential partners says he's in if the third guy comes on board. I'll need to run to the bank to get cash before noon if I'm going to do this today.

What do you folks think?

If you recall, in another thread I was contemplating an almost new Cub Cadet 27 ton at a Pawn Shop (asking $900). Most replies in that thread were nudging me toward the Huskee.

Thanks,
Ken

Its a toss up. With the 2 hour drive I would lean towards the 27-ton cub. I have my 27-ton troy built running quite a bit quicker these days.

Jay, the Cub looks brand new. I really don't know what the Pawn Shop will take. It wasn't even priced when I saw it. They're keeping it in a storage building, not on the showroom. It's been in default on the loan for over two months. The store manager said they'd 'probably' ask $900. They may have half of that amount into it. If I could get the Cub for the same price as the Huskee, do you think that's the way I should go? I know the Cub is more power but it seems from what I've been reading that reliability and customer support are better with the Huskee.

Kenster said:
Jay, the Cub looks brand new. I really don't know what the Pawn Shop will take. It wasn't even priced when I saw it. They're keeping it in a storage building, not on the showroom. It's been in default on the loan for over two months. The store manager said they'd 'probably' ask $900. They may have half of that amount into it. If I could get the Cub for the same price as the Huskee, do you think that's the way I should go? I know the Cub is more power but it seems from what I've been reading that reliability and customer support are better with the Huskee.

Short answer YES! Its kinda of a toss up. I like the 27-ton's in big hard to split wood and the 22 ton in the easier to split wood. Now I have not ran side by side with the husky since I upgraded a few items, and it is faster. (with no upgrades it ran dead even with the 22 ton) I am pounding 35+ cords a year with mine. Never one issue. If your splitting 3 ways 27 ton make more sense to me.

Well, my potential third partner backed out and the other one can't quite swing going half with me so I guess I'll be in the rental market until I find a killer deal sometime. Guy nearby rents his Iron and oak 20 ton for $50 a day or $75 for the weekend. I guess that really makes the most sense anyway.

Kenster said:
Well, my potential third partner backed out and the other one can't quite swing going half with me so I guess I'll be in the rental market until I find a killer deal sometime. Guy nearby rents his Iron and oak 20 ton for $50 a day or $75 for the weekend. I guess that really makes the most sense anyway.

Yep, and keep looking there will be a good deal. out there 1000.00 new and a lot of them husky sold. The used market with good deals cant be far away!

I may take a stab at the Cub at the Pawnshop. See if I can steal it with a real low ball. Use it to split my current crop: probably three cords in rounds and another half cord in a recently downed tree back in my woods. Then try to resale it for a profit.

If I could get it for $700 to $750 then resell it for $1000, I could be happy with that. The thing looks brand new. Not the slightest scratch or scuff or trace of dirt or chips.

Kenster said:
I may take a stab at the Cub at the Pawnshop. See if I can steal it with a real low ball. Use it to split my current crop: probably three cords in rounds and another half cord in a recently downed tree back in my woods. Then try to resale it for a profit.

If I could get it for $700 to $750 then resell it for $1000, I could be happy with that. The thing looks brand new. Not the slightest scratch or scuff or trace of dirt or chips.

I done in the ball park of 135 cords with mine. It needs a bath but still looks great!

Two hour drive? Remember that these splitters aren't really meant for long hauls (no leaf springs). The Huskees are rated for 45 mph max, but I wasn't comfortable going much over 30 mph on the 15 mile drive home from Tractor Supply. I'd much prefer putting it in the bed of a pickup or on a trailer.

TreePointer. I had no intention of dragging it home. I would have trailered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.