good or bad insulation use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrador

Jul 19, 2008
upstate New York
road runner
Will the insulation 6" fiberglass create more heat.than losing it to the side walls of the fireplace? The other photo is of the flue closed off by a block off plate which is above the fiberglass. The white is stove insulation on the flex pipe side.

Attachments

• Jotel 001-small.jpg
    Jotel 001-small.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 291
Here is the second photo. (Thanks,Jake) :)

Attachments

• Jotel 003-small.jpg
    Jotel 003-small.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 301
Only one photo made it. Is this a double-sided fireplace? If yes, I don't think I would insulate at all. A damper block-off plate should be sufficient.

BeGreen said:
Only one photo made it. Is this a double-sided fireplace? If yes, I don't think I would insulate at all. A damper block-off plate should be sufficient.
BeGreen, It is a double sided fireplace, with lots of room. I think the second photo did come through. :roll:

Now I see it... But I don't see any need for the insulation. There isn't a mass of exterior masonry on the backside of the insert.

BeGreen said:
Now I see it... But I don't see any need for the insulation. There isn't a mass of exterior masonry on the backside of the insert.
+1. Any brick that warms up is just going to release heat to the rooms anyway. I wouldn't have insulation stuffed right up against the unit regardless.

midwestcoast said:
BeGreen said:
+1. Any brick that warms up is just going to release heat to the rooms anyway. I wouldn't have insulation stuffed right up against the unit regardless.
Thanks for the advice. I will remove the insulation on the sides of the stove. It has to heat more of the brick surrounding the fireplace, and through it into the house.

You might want to put a nice expanded or stamped metal grillework on the backside for a cleaner look. That will let heat from the back of the insert into the living space.

Status
Not open for further replies.