Good scrounge, lousy timing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
This morning I dropped my wife off at work and, like I tend to do, I stopped to pick up a few logs that were laying by the curb waiting for the chippers. We had an early snow storm in October (you college football fans might have seen it on the news because it almost delayed the Penn State v. Minnesota football game) and tons of trees were busted up in town, so scrounging has been really easy lately. Anyhow, two guys stopped by and offered me free wood at a nearby address. I stopped by the house and found laying around in the woods probably five cords of downed White Oak, Pignut Hickory, and Red Maple, much of it already cut into four or five foot sections, perfect for fitting into the back of a Saturn SL2. Lousy part is that I am leaving town TODAY, and probably can't take more than one or two trips for the wood. I normally could spend all weekend hauling free wood. In my Saturn, two trips is not more than 1/3 of a cord or so. My only consolation is that I have already scrounged about four cords of free wood in the past six weeks.

...bummer!! Coming towards Williamsport?? I'll gladly unload your Saturn! :) I hope to pick up at least a cord of cherry today when my neighbor has a very large one taken down this weekend.

Wood Duck said:
This morning I dropped my wife off at work and, like I tend to do, I stopped to pick up a few logs that were laying by the curb waiting for the chippers. We had an early snow storm in October (you college football fans might have seen it on the news because it almost delayed the Penn State v. Minnesota football game) and tons of trees were busted up in town, so scrounging has been really easy lately. Anyhow, two guys stopped by and offered me free wood at a nearby address. I stopped by the house and found laying around in the woods probably five cords of downed White Oak, Pignut Hickory, and Red Maple, much of it already cut into four or five foot sections, perfect for fitting into the back of a Saturn SL2. Lousy part is that I am leaving town TODAY, and probably can't take more than one or two trips for the wood. I normally could spend all weekend hauling free wood. In my Saturn, two trips is not more than 1/3 of a cord or so. My only consolation is that I have already scrounged about four cords of free wood in the past six weeks.

Seems like your doing just fine Wood Duck and yes there will be more storms.

Zap

little car

That's a bunch of wood for a saturn anyway so figure you saved it from certain death ;-) Maybe by next time you will have other options

The Saturn was more than willing and, probably, able to move that wood, and so was I, but we didn't get the chance. Maybe next time. I am a couple of years ahead, but you never know when the free wood supply will dry up, so I keep collecting whatever I can scrounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.