Goslings in the Backyard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uper

Feb 5, 2010
Eastern UP, MI
Taken 10 days ago.

Attachments

• 5-14-10 Geese.jpg
    5-14-10 Geese.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 365
How many were there? You dont have muskie in that lake behind them do you? Muskies love baby ducks and geese from what I was told years ago.

Shipper

Well, it's actually a river, but flows out of a lake a short distance away. And, that lake has Pike, Walleye, and the usual assortment of Bass and pan fish. I don't think there are any muskies, but there could be. If the fish aren't predator enough, we have an abundance of fox in the neighborhood along with a stray coyote.
I didn't get a chance to count them all, but lately have seen them floating by on the river in small groupings of 3-8 with an adult in the lead and one trailing the group.

Uper said:
Well, it's actually a river, but flows out of a lake a short distance away. And, that lake has Pike, Walleye, and the usual assortment of Bass and pan fish. I don't think there are any muskies, but there could be. If the fish aren't predator enough, we have an abundance of fox in the neighborhood along with a stray coyote.
I didn't get a chance to count them all, but lately have seen them floating by on the river in small groupings of 3-8 with an adult in the lead and one trailing the group.

What? Do you mean you don't have any wolves in your area? Hang on Uper, they will come sooner or later. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Uper said:

What? Do you mean you don't have any wolves in your area? Hang on Uper, they will come sooner or later. lol

I haven't seen any, but many reports of them around. Most that mention them do so with a bit of disgust in their tone along with the assorted remedies should they run across one!
BTW, I read your vacation post. I, for one, will miss your postings. Maybe you can check in along the route and give us updates of your travels.

Thanks Uper. I'm going to try to get my wife to post a few times while I'm gone.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the wolves. It really is a sad state of affairs. Also not good for some businesses. I know of several deer camps that have either been cut in half or done away with altogether simply because of the lack of deer now. Every one of them have told me stories of the wolves too. We still talk about coming back to the UP to live but now we're not so sure. Guess we'll have to still be occasional visitors for a while yet. But our hearts are still in the UP.

Watch the mama hiss, if you go near those babies! I had one take a run at me on the local bike path. Good thing I was actually on a bike and not running, as I would usually be doing. Avoided an unfortunate situation for Mother Goose!

No problem John. You just have to grab them by the neck, right behind the head. Try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.