Got a pretty good deal on some wood in martinsville, NJ.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
Picked up a full cord from a fella on CL named mike for $180.00 the only guys on CL (close to me any way) that covers his wood and does not "season" his wood in 30 feet tall piles where it will never dry out. I ended up with a little more than a full cord maybe 1 1/4 cord of mostly seasoned (atleast 85% of it is seasoned for a year and it looks like it) red oak, white oak, a little maple, and some locust. many different sizes which is always a good thing. Below its stacked neatly in my garage. he charges 180 if you pick it up 230 delivered. http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/2148108276.html

2011-01-07155835.jpg

gotta burn it all before spring if i want to get my bike out of there, which should not be a problem. May not be much of a deal to some folks on here but in my area that's about as good as it gets for wood that is actually seasoned well mostly seasoned.

Nice.....I live on the back side of Martinsville. A three minute trip up the hill. Wood looks good. How long are the splits if you do not mind me asking. My stove takes up to 18" and if the wood is real dry, I might pick up a cord. Post also how it burns if you don,t mind.

Mike

guys name is mike.. I am still burning what i purchased from a place in warren. I will try some of the wood i got from martinsville tomorrow and report back. But from the looks of it, i would say it should burn fairly good. Only downside is that i think i purchased his last cord of stove wood that is 18" or less and seasoned. He said he has plenty of fireplace wood that has been seasoned pretty good (20-24"), and some 18" or less that was cut and split in September i believe. give him a call just dont forget to mention that you need 18" or less and tell him that the guy from North Plainfield with the big Ryder van sent you (maybe he will give me a discount on my next cord lol). Any how he seems like an honest dealer, as he fully disclosed the age of the wood he had on hand and wasnt trying to push some 2 month old stuff off on me. Ohh yeah and every piece of wood was hardwood, absolutely no softwood in there.

OK...thanks for the info. BTW...did you purchase the Warren wood from the guy who has 20ft stacks in front of his place? He charges 300 a cord I think. The other guy charges 220 if I am correct.

the guy with the 20ft stacks is Pauls i believe. i purchased mine from the guy down the street from Pauls, the guys name is john sage. they have there 20ft piles in the back, and charges 250 a cord but claims he gives more than i a cord. I cant say if i received more than i a cord or not because i did not stack it in a manner that would give me a good idea, but i feel like i have more wood this time around with mike from Martinsville. The wood i received from warren had a lot of poppler in it and poppler is not really a hardwood so if i did get extra i am sure the extra amount was pretty much all in poppler, and there wood was about 60% somewhat dry and 40% hissing wet.

Good info! I almost bought wood from both of them. I decided to scrounge and was able to score some good wood. Having a 16' landscape trailer and a truck has it's perks. :) This Mike guy sounds like he has good wood. Looks good from the pics. They all seem like nice splits. I will have to keep you in mind when my busy season in the spring comes. Some people have cleanups that require fallen tree removal. I can throw some your way if I am in that neck of the woods (lol).

Jersey, that was a good find. I've heard good wood is hard to come by in that area.

thanks mike821.

I just put a load of medium sized splits in the firebox from the wood i purchased yesterday, mostly red oak, and some white oak. The box was just cleaned out very little coals and the wood fired up pretty good. i use fire starters that i purchased from walmart broken into little pieces and a single 2" piece was able to get the whole load going in about a minute or so. Which is pretty damn good.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jersey, that was a good find. I've heard good wood is hard to come by in that area.

Yes this is true. mainly because not too many people in this area know any better so the dealers can get away with almost anything.

I have found one other dealer that sells truly seasoned wood, but the price is just unbelievably high. They offer kiln dried or air dried, and the price for either is not worth it. Would be cheaper to heat your home with gas or oil.

Just an update. My original statement about me receiving WAY more than a cord from mike in Martinsville was wrong. But What i did receive was TRUE full cord 4x4x8 128 cuft apparently the last cord i purchased (my first cord) was not a true cord so this one appeared to be an excessive amount but in fact it was only a little more than a true cord. However i can say that the wood burns great!! Driest wood i have had so far (purchased samples from lots of other places near me) other than that pricey kiln dried stuff at home depot, this seems to be the best you can purchase in my area at a reasonable price. It burns good and is easy to get going.

yes even though it was just a tiny bit over a true cord, it was and is definately a good deal. just based on the fact that it burnt well is great.

andrewdee said:
sounds like a good deal by me in central nj the rate is 200+and most is not fully seasoned Stock up for next year

Have you found any that is fully seasoned in central jersey that provides true cords? If so please do share.

Status
Not open for further replies.