Got me some Hickory!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
A friend called me and told me he was standing by a blown over Hickory. It was just across the highway from me but out of my sight of travel so I never saw it. The next day I called my dad and sent him over to talk with the property manager. They were in the process of taking bids to have it removed. He told them it would be a lot cheaper if we took most of it, left the branches and stump and then they just could have that removed. He took my dad's phone number and said he'd make some phone calls. By the time my dad got home, about 5 minutes later the property manager had called and said the tree was ours. We set up a time frame for removal. These pics show what I ended up with. It's mostly c/s/s, a little more to go. At this point my guess is around 2 cord. I hope it seasons well. Hickory is something that we don't run into around here very often.

Attachments

• rsz_dscn1045.jpg
    rsz_dscn1045.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 436
  • rsz_dscn1046.jpg
    rsz_dscn1046.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 444
  • rsz_dscn1064.jpg
    rsz_dscn1064.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 430
  • rsz_dscn1065.jpg
    rsz_dscn1065.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 432
  • rsz_dscn1066.jpg
    rsz_dscn1066.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 441
Gotta love it when wood of that caliber falls in your lap that close to home, nice score.

Nice ! that will make some great firewood for next winter.

Cool Andy

It don't get much better than that!

Billy

Hit! Great wood and nearby, to boot. Doesn't get much better than that! :coolsmile:
The consensus here seems to be one-year drying time. I've got some Pignut, and a neighbor is giving me a Shagbark...not a two-corder though. :bug: I plan to get it split and stacked in the next few weeks, along with some Sugar Maple, and that'll be the bulk of our 2012 stack.

Andy, that is fantastic! However, I'm wondering where you are going to stack this? Seems to be that I remember your yard being pretty full. But, for this I'm sure you'll find a place.

Nice Score.... If all else fails, it can be used for BBQ.

I scored some last year, best wood I had, your gonna love it on those frigid winter nights.

Great score. It might be ready by next winter. Two years for sure. I have some huge pignuts on my property, well over 60-70 feet tall. I won't cut them but did get a storm downed one a few years ago. I split most of it right away. I didn't touch it for almost three years and it made wonderful overnight burns. For some reason there were about four rounds, about eight inch diameter, that I didn't split. Three years later those rounds just laughed at my ten pound maul and my Fiskers SS, both of which just bounced off without making a dent in the round. I just burned them whole.

So, good on you for getting them split right away!

Great Score! :)

I have to cut one down this Fall.....hate to do it but its better then falling on the house?

Cheers Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.