got most of my wood out just in time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2010
Northern Maine
I have been busy getting my wood out of the woods lately just a gut feeling, like cutting all winter to have done for summer,July will bring another round of Mohs surgery for skin cancer on my nose.I know Dr will keep me out of the woods for a bit hope its not as bad this time around but am prepared for the worst .Ok back on the wood my 2 year old and I have been working hard hauling out all my cut and split piles just finished this stack 9 eight foot sections 4 ft high .Last night and today we got hit with some severe storms logging trails shut down for a bit it still wasnt dry from sping but was workable not now lol.Oh yes one more thing I created a monster,, the wood pile is no longer mine they belong to my 2 year old daughter.

Attachments

• looking out.jpg
    looking out.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 462
  • closed trail.jpg
    closed trail.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 445
  • new stack.jpg
    new stack.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 459
shouldntbesocomplicated said:
I have been busy getting my wood out of the woods lately just a gut feeling, like cutting all winter to have done for summer,July will bring another round of Mohs surgery for skin cancer on my nose.I know Dr will keep me out of the woods for a bit hope its not as bad this time around but am prepared for the worst .Ok back on the wood my 2 year old and I have been working hard hauling out all my cut and split piles just finished this stack 9 eight foot sections 4 ft high .Last night and today we got hit with some severe storms logging trails shut down for a bit it still wasnt dry from sping but was workable not now lol.Oh yes one more thing I created a monster,, the wood pile is no longer mine they belond to my 2 year old daghter.

shouldntbesocomplicated, your stacks of wood look great. Hope the surgery goes well.

Zap

gibir said:
I have been busy getting my wood out of the woods lately just a gut feeling, like cutting all winter to have done for summer,July will bring another round of Mohs surgery for skin cancer on my nose.I know Dr will keep me out of the woods for a bit hope its not as bad this time around but am prepared for the worst .Ok back on the wood my 2 year old and I have been working hard hauling out all my cut and split piles just finished this stack 9 eight foot sections 4 ft high .Last night and today we got hit with some severe storms logging trails shut down for a bit it still wasnt dry from sping but was workable not now lol.Oh yes one more thing I created a monster,, the wood pile is no longer mine they belond to my 2 year old daghter.

shouldntbesocomplicated, your stacks of wood look great. Hope the surgery goes well.

Thanks ,as for surgery well been there done that before ,and am prepared for more cosmetic surgery to put me back together dont think I am atall excited about it ,would rather be bucking and splitting

Zap

Looks like you're stocked on wood for now so just take care of the skin! The trees will still be there when you've recovered! I am high risk for skin cancer...lots of moles etc. and don't miss an annual check up with the dermatologist. Just thankful for the knowledge they have of this stuff these says, he's caught more than one situation in the very early stage.

muncybob said:
Looks like you're stocked on wood for now so just take care of the skin! The trees will still be there when you've recovered! I am high risk for skin cancer...lots of moles etc. and don't miss an annual check up with the dermatologist. Just thankful for the knowledge they have of this stuff these says, he's caught more than one situation in the very early stage.

I need to get on next years wood lol, the skin well I have had my share of spots cut off .I have a cut first ask ? later, so far all spots that concerned me or wife have come back as basal cell but I see the dermatologist at least twice a year.Being a red head I am pretty high on the list too and I got lots of bad burns in my younger days.I wouldnt wish the ordeal I had with my nose the last time on an anemy but am prepared to do it all over now ,hopefully I am wrong but gut says no such luck.

Yes, being a redhead seems to accelerate those things. Being married to a redhead, we have those same problems. I hope it goes well for you.

Looks like it gets really sloppy there when it rains.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, being a redhead seems to accelerate those things. Being married to a redhead, we have those same problems. I hope it goes well for you.

Looks like it gets really sloppy there when it rains.

Thanks Dennis ,I would rather be doing my firewood ,from the past ordeal I am ready for the worse again since the DR appoint and biospy another spot has appeared on that side of the nose so want it all dealt with at once .I wont give up the wood as I enjoy it, last time it was fishing for stripers on Great bay,got lots of attention being all bandaged up

I understand. With my wife I have set limits when she can be outdoors. Of course this morning there is not much problem as it is cloudy. It also will be raining in about 10 minutes by the looks of the radar. She went to work early and I just told her to head to the house.

I also remember I had a brother who was a redhead. Dang, I never figured anyone could get sunburn as easy as he could. Now I understand that is a problem with all redheads; just be careful out there. That is not fun getting that stuff off. I had some taken off too so now I know what the wife goes through and I really feel for her and others like you.

Backwoods Savage said:
I understand. With my wife I have set limits when she can be outdoors. Of course this morning there is not much problem as it is cloudy. It also will be raining in about 10 minutes by the looks of the radar. She went to work early and I just told her to head to the house.

I also remember I had a brother who was a redhead. Dang, I never figured anyone could get sunburn as easy as he could. Now I understand that is a problem with all redheads; just be careful out there. That is not fun getting that stuff off. I had some taken off too so now I know what the wife goes through and I really feel for her and others like you.

I try to be good but it really puts a damper on life ,cloudy is not always safe either ,no beverages on days prior to and including days working in the sun it lowers your resistance not like I need help there lol.For me the hassle is the reconstructive surgery ,the spots on neck ,back and arms cut and forget, scares add character lol,railroad tracks across my back you can see I had my fun lol.Dont mis understand that but I dont take it lightly but keep the attitude higher rather than dwell on it .

You have the right key there. Attitude makes a huge difference. Lots of us have scars and in time most don't even think of them. Heck, I have some scars from some barbed wire I was stretching and that was back in the 1950's. People still ask me about how I got those X marks. lol

I look at attitude sort of differently than most. Many times we have situations or circumstances we don't like....but we can't change either. So, if you can't change the situation or the circumstance, the best thing to do it so change your attitude towards it. Same goes for those scars. You didn't choose it but you have it. You don't have to like it but you have to live with it. You have the right attitude.

Speaking of people, I recall one time my wife and I had to attend some meetings. One lady there was, well, she perhaps might have a problem winning a beauty contest. But it did not take long and we found she was one of the most beautiful person we had ever met. What a joy to talk with her and her bubbly personality was nothing short of fantastically beautiful. But think how that situation could have turned out as we know some folks who are not really that good looking and their personality makes them nothing short of awful and you don't want to be around them. But then, I also know a couple ladies who are real knockouts....until they start talking.....

Whoops, sometimes I get carried away. I'll stop now.

Backwoods Savage said:
You have the right key there. Attitude makes a huge difference. Lots of us have scars and in time most don't even think of them. Heck, I have some scars from some barbed wire I was stretching and that was back in the 1950's. People still ask me about how I got those X marks. lol

I look at attitude sort of differently than most. Many times we have situations or circumstances we don't like....but we can't change either. So, if you can't change the situation or the circumstance, the best thing to do it so change your attitude towards it. Same goes for those scars. You didn't choose it but you have it. You don't have to like it but you have to live with it. You have the right attitude.

Speaking of people, I recall one time my wife and I had to attend some meetings. One lady there was, well, she perhaps might have a problem winning a beauty contest. But it did not take long and we found she was one of the most beautiful person we had ever met. What a joy to talk with her and her bubbly personality was nothing short of fantastically beautiful. But think how that situation could have turned out as we know some folks who are not really that good looking and their personality makes them nothing short of awful and you don't want to be around them. But then, I also know a couple ladies who are real knockouts....until they start talking.....

Whoops, sometimes I get carried away. I'll stop now.

Sometimes my Drs dont agree with my tude , as last time the cancer had advanced well into the cartildge in the nose they said a few months longer without treatment it would have got to my brain and well ,I said it would have starved to death , not even a chuckle some people lol

:lol: Some folks don't have a sense of humor.

Great Looking stacks complicated.... Looks like it gets sloppy there when it rains. We have a Pond in our back yard (1/3rd acre) and when it rains really hard, there is another pond that seems to present itself. Right next mto where the 1st one is...

On the Treatment and surgery, Good Luck. You have many thoughts and prayers from this site...

As far as Skin goes...My Wife is a Blondy, but she has a fair complexion. Gets burned just by looking at the sun. After 2 hrs in the Sun. She will literally have Blisters on her. I feel so Bad for her sometimes. I am the exact opposite. I cant burn..I keep a Tan through the dead of winter. My skin laughs at the Sun. I have some of the darkest skin I have seen. The Indian in me, probably helps. Hope it holds up.

Here recently my Wife has been making me wear SPF 50. I don't notice a difference (Other than it being sticky) in with or with-out. But she says it will help me out years down the Road. We just had another baby and I went in for A "Full Check-up" a few weeks before she was born. To make sure I was healthy and Cancer free. I quit smoking 2 months ago. Many people in my family and my Wifes have been lost to Cancer. Its real... The more you educate yourself and the earlier the detection, the better off you are. My Grandfather lived 13 yrs after half of his left lung was removed. Had to be on Oxygen the rest of his life. But that didn't stop him from doing anything. He carried that portable unit everywhere.

Good luck with everything..... and Great Stacks again. Beautiful site to see that much wood.

DexterDay said:
Great Looking stacks complicated.... Looks like it gets sloppy there when it rains. We have a Pond in our back yard (1/3rd acre) and when it rains really hard, there is another pond that seems to present itself. Right next mto where the 1st one is...

On the Treatment and surgery, Good Luck. You have many thoughts and prayers from this site...

As far as Skin goes...My Wife is a Blondy, but she has a fair complexion. Gets burned just by looking at the sun. After 2 hrs in the Sun. She will literally have Blisters on her. I feel so Bad for her sometimes. I am the exact opposite. I cant burn..I keep a Tan through the dead of winter. My skin laughs at the Sun. I have some of the darkest skin I have seen. The Indian in me, probably helps. Hope it holds up.

Here recently my Wife has been making me wear SPF 50. I don't notice a difference (Other than it being sticky) in with or with-out. But she says it will help me out years down the Road. We just had another baby and I went in for A "Full Check-up" a few weeks before she was born. To make sure I was healthy and Cancer free. I quit smoking 2 months ago. Many people in my family and my Wifes have been lost to Cancer. Its real... The more you educate yourself and the earlier the detection, the better off you are. My Grandfather lived 13 yrs after half of his left lung was removed. Had to be on Oxygen the rest of his life. But that didn't stop him from doing anything. He carried that portable unit everywhere.

Good luck with everything..... and Great Stacks again. Beautiful site to see that much wood.

Thanks, as for the sloppy thats not normal I do get a lot of runnoff from the potatoe fields but yesterday was a really bad storm.I heard that a tordado was 2 miles away .As for sun block I hate it, I do use it but so far none of it is strong enuff for me ,just keep my burns to a min .Congrats on the baby my youngest is two oldest is 22 so I have to stick around a few more years lol.

Sometimes my Drs dont agree with my tude , as last time the cancer had advanced well into the cartildge in the nose they said a few months longer without treatment it would have got to my brain and well ,I said it would have starved to death , not even a chuckle some people lol
Where do you get the surgery done? Another Mainer with skin problems, see my dermatologist every 6 months, had stage 3 melanoma taken off my back 6 or 7 years . Red head also. Sucks to be us :) . Good luck and nice wood pile. You guys got some rain the other night, eh?.

Wallyworld said:
Where do you get the surgery done? Another Mainer with skin problems, see my dermatologist every 6 months, had stage 3 melanoma taken off my back 6 or 7 years . Red head also. Sucks to be us :) . Good luck and nice wood pile. You guys got some rain the other night, eh?.

Not a native Mainer moved here from NH 5 years ago ,the big one was done in NH with reconstruct at Newburyport Mass, so far I have only had basal cell .You would think with all the teasing us redheads got our skin would be thicker lol, Thanks on wood pile , if it wernt for bad luck I would have none .Some rain and some of the farmers potatoe field lots of wind too
I did a walkabout yesterday and found a clump of 4 cedars up rooted ,not my choice wood to burn , but will start burning it here this year.

Your skin might not be thicker but if you are like my wife, your head is pretty thick and hard to get through some times..... Danged bull-headed redheads....

Backwoods Savage said:
Your skin might not be thicker but if you are like my wife, your head is pretty thick and hard to get through some times..... Danged bull-headed redheads....

Ok you got me there and how bout our quick temper lol

Nothing quick about my wife. The temper is always there....

Backwoods Savage said:
Nothing quick about my wife. The temper is always there....

I might feel bad for you but I am sure you were warned about redheads well before you went and fell in love with her ,lol

I can usually only get wood out in the middle of the summer during a dry spell or in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen so I cut and stack it, untill opertunity Knocks.

[quote author="woodsmaster" date="1307825029"]I can usually only get wood out in the middle of the summer during a dry spell or in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen so I cut and stack it, untill opertunity Knocks.[/quote

I normally have a couple ways in and out it wasnt dry from spring out there yet but getting it done was more important than the damage at this point ,was a gut feeling glad I did it or it would be another year of washing wood before stacking ,this is the second time in 5 years that we have had this bad a storm last time wood was in the wrong spot and rode the wave 200 ftt was a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.