Got my first complaint about the firewood I'm selling...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Had a customer tell me that he liked the wood I sold him (Cherry/Ash/Elm/Mulberry, seasoned for a year) but he had a complaint about it being too dry...
Says it burns too fast.
Turns out he has an outdoor fireplace with no way to control intake air.

Hope I get more complaints like this! ;-)

Rob

That aint no complaint that is a compliment.

Shawn

Sell them a bucket of water!

Gabe

:lol: That is good Rob. Quite a complaint.

Out of curiousity. How much do you get for a cord of wood when you sell it our where you live? Is it a full cord or face cord? Do you only sell seasoned wood, or offer both just cut and seasoned?

Rob, good to hear you are selling some of that wood. Better yet to hear you are selling good wood.

Don't try to sell me any of that old, grey, cracked junk you sell to city folks and newbies. I want the fresh stuff.

I had the same thing happen to me last winter. Customer wanted to know if I had any green wood to sell him because my wood was too dry and didn't last long enough. I don't cut green trees unless they are brought down by a storm, but I told him I would see what I could do for him. I went out and cut him a few nice fresh dead trees with plenty of moisture in the trunks and he was as happy as could be. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67683/

Just goes to show you that you cant make them all happy. Heck I am just the bartender! ;-)

Must be I'm gettin' old . . . seems like a waste - either of money of bodily effort - to burn 'good' wood in an outdoor fireplace.

There are alot of people that think firewood should have moisture in it to control the rate of burn. I even knew of a guy who burned wet wood in the stove so in his words wouldn't burn up so fast.

Dear Rob,

You suck as a wood seller!

1st of all I requested a cord. You delivered at least three times what I wanted. This leads me to believe your cord prices are too high. If I wanted 128 cu. ft. I would have said so in my first email.

2nd, this stuff you delivered is way to light! Obviously it is rotted. Please come get it and replace it with the heavy stuff I am used to using.

Sincerely,

Dum Bass

I've started selling my excess wood to a local Marina/bar/restaurant, mostly the lower quality firewoods like siberian elm, box elder and cottonwood. I was hesitant at first because this stuff only has been split since July but they assured me they were not too picky. Delivered 5 loads this last weekend and they started burning in their fireplace right away. After delivering several loads I asked the manager how it was burning for them... she says "just fine, starts right up and doesn't fill the place with smoke". I guess they're use to buring really green stuff. ;-) I suspect my usual 2 year seasoned stuff would burn up way to fast for them too.

Out of curiousity. How much do you get for a cord of wood when you sell it our where you live? Is it a full cord or face cord? Do you only sell seasoned wood, or offer both just cut and seasoned?

Hi,

I only have wood seasoned for 1 year.
I'd rather wait for two years to sell it, but my employers want to see a return on their money now, not next year...
I'm selling it in face cord size (1 third cord, rick/42.66 cubic feet) for $75.00 in Central Illinois.

I guess I'd sell unseasoned wood, but haven't had any requests for it.
Not sure we could afford to either, we're just breaking even at the current pricing.
We're doing firewood for a few years while we develop a wooded property, to keep one of the guys busy (steady paycheck) during the winters.

Rob
I do have some 2 year seasoned wood...but it is being fed to my stove this season...

Must be I’m gettin’ old . . . seems like a waste - either of money of bodily effort - to burn ‘good’ wood in an outdoor fireplace.

I am with you on that. The firepit is for the yard debris and uglies. And latly around here there is a plenty.

KC

Cascade Failure said:
Dear Rob,

1st of all I requested a cord. You delivered at least three times what I wanted. This leads me to believe your cord prices are too high. If I wanted 128 cu. ft. I would have said so in my first email.

2nd, this stuff you delivered is way to light! Obviously it is rotted. Please come get it and replace it with the heavy stuff I am used to using.

Sincerely,

Dum Bass

LOL. Very good...

dave11 said:
Cascade Failure said:
Dear Rob,

Sincerely,

Dum Bass

LOL. Very good...

+1

There are at least two types of wood burning experiences and there is a market for both of them. Now you know to ask questions about the kind of appliance they use, what is their preferred loading style and burning method. What you do with the knowledge gleaned from the answers is another whole ball of wax. But I suggest you find the ones who really know about dry wood.

Wood Duck said:
Don't try to sell me any of that old, grey, cracked junk you sell to city folks and newbies. I want the fresh stuff.

Funny you mention fresh. My neighbor loves his wood guy because he always gives him "good fresh oak"

I bet you have plenty of satisfied customers.
Next time you know you can sell him some un-seasoned stuff & save some on the good dry stuff for indoor burners. :)
Very good post.
You are doing a Great job!

Dave,

I don't have many customers yet, but we'll start advertising next week.
Then the wood will start flying out the door!

I did deliver some Sugar Maple to him a couple days ago though, as a bonus, that isn't quite as dry (22%) so his fires will last longer...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.