Got my liner - how to attach it to the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
Got my chimney liner from the fellas at ChimneySweep today, and she (along with the 30-NC) is pretty much installed. Break in fire pics tomorrow!

Question, though: I went with the "insert" connection from the liner to the stove - basically an adapter that terminates the liner in a "male" connection, which fits inside the flue connector on top of the stove. What is the recommended way to firmly affix this thing in the stove? Stove cement, or is there a better method? I didn't want to drill holes for sheet metal screws in the flue collar of the stove if I don't have to. Both the stove and liner manuals were pretty vague. What to do?

Put furnace cement around the inside of the flue collar and then insert the liner adapter. Then drill three holes in the flue collar and put in three stainless steel screws. The flue collar drills easily with a good bit.

BrotherBart said:
Put furnace cement around the inside of the flue collar and then insert the liner adapter. Then drill three holes in the flue collar and put in three stainless steel screws. The flue collar drills easily with a good bit.

Thanks BB. I thought I had read about using stainless screws somewhere, but it just seemed like that flue collar is pretty substantial to go drilling through and sticking screws in. I'll get it taken care of tomorrow though. I would just like to say one more time that for $1000 this is one damn fine looking stove. Basic, yes, with no fancy frills, but I like it. If the thing heats half as well as you say it does I'm going to be in seventh heaven this winter.

You ain't gonna believe the heat from that sucker when it is rolling. If you are putting it in a fireplace put the block-off plate even with the lentil so that the convection heat does not bump up against the back of the front wall of the fireplace. Let it just roll out into the room. The convection air comes out of the rear heat shield across the top of the stove.

See, now I think I'm going to have to make a new block-off plate. I had to check three big-box stores today just to find some 24 guage galvanized, and spent a half hour with some tin snips and a pair of power nibblers, but what you posted makes sense. I can see lots of heat getting trapped up in the "triangle" made from the back/front of the fireplace where it meets the damper and the block-off plate. Looks like I'm going to miss the 1:00 games tomorrow...

I trashed one myself after the first year burning the stove and replaced it with one down lower.

BrotherBart said:
You ain't gonna believe the heat from that sucker when it is rolling.

Good god, man. You're not kidding. My break in fires have been with some bone-dry willow. Put out some decent heat, but then our lows were in the mid 60's. High of 65 today, and getting into the 40's tonight (I know - a far cry from Michigan winter) so of course I broke out the big guns and stuck in a few medium splits of oak. My 25x25 living room is currently 89 degrees. No fans set up yet (aside from the two ceiling fans in the room) to disperse the heat, but I have a feeling that the 2200 SF rating is a bit undersized, even for my semi-drafty house. Can't wait for some zero degree days, which is funny, because last year I dreaded every day that was under 60. $450/mo. propane bills will do that you...

If we don't see pics, it ain't happening. ;-)

Ask and ye shall receive...

Attachments

• P1060031.jpg
    P1060031.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 216
And one more that shows more stove and less fire. Photos taken at the same time, but one with flash and one without. Both are fairly poor quality, but I have a heck of a time taking photos of this secondary burn. I see it with my eyes and elbow the wife ("Good god, honey, it's like the damn Northern Lights!") and then I take a photo and it looks like a red blur. I'll figure it out eventually...

Attachments

• P1060032.jpg
    P1060032.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 209
That's how the pup looks when it is rockin.

Attachments

• nc-30kickin.JPG
    nc-30kickin.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 200
No comments on the custom short leg kit, so it must not be that noticable... 5 minutes with a torch, 10 with a welder, and 15 witha grinder - add a little paint, and voila! The stove now fits in my fireplace! :zip:

Creek-Chub said:
No comments on the custom short leg kit, so it must not be that noticable... 5 minutes with a torch, 10 with a welder, and 15 witha grinder - add a little paint, and voila! The stove now fits in my fireplace! :zip:

Oh I saw it alright. I just didn't want to get Mike all excited again. :) They ought to go back to shipping the damned thing with six inch legs again.

In fact the Forum users buying 13-NC's and using the pedestal and not using the six inch legs they come with should start listing them for sale cheap in the For Sale section of the Forum.

Hint. Hint.

Or at least trading out the 9 inch legs for the 6 inch legs. I offered to trade my 9" legs and the pedestal for the 6" legs, and I would pay shipping both ways. No dice. I understand why the gal I spoke with wasn't able to make that call, but I still have trouble disregarding plain old common sense. Regardless, the stove now fits, and it is a heating monster. I'm still singing praises to the Englander gods, at least until this Michigan weather hits 20 below, and then we'll see. For now, I'm sweating my cojones off and loving it... I mean, uh, just "getting used to the new stove, honey, so that I know how to work it when it gets real cold..."

Status
Not open for further replies.