Got my new stove pipe installed. Question about door seals now. PICS Included!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
OK,
I braved a trip up the ladder and installed my new stove pipe. I ran a test two nights ago to see how well this worked. I shut the stove off with a flame still going and it burned for about 5 minutes well and then died out and then the smoke started. I had some coming out of the top of my door gasket (as far as I can tell this was the only place). Is this were one would expect it to back into the house or would it come back out the pellet hopper?

I am wondering if now I need a new door gasket again. I would think that I should not be getting any kind of smoke escape from the stove with that addtional almost 6ft of rise with the pipes.

I sure hope this keeps the strong wind problems at bay this winter. This was a small fortune in pipe!

Here is a before shot:

IMAG0175.jpg

Here is the "redesign"

IMAG0179.jpg

Angles in stove pipe can be problematic over the years, (creosote buildup = fire potential) but.........if you keep it clean, you'll be alright.
It's interesting that the original venting opening points DOWN, and that you chose to point DOWN again, with the NEW venting?!

-Soupy1957

Do the dollar bill test on the door gasket.

Smoke should not be coming out between the door and the stove.

I would expect smoke to come out the hopper, the air intake, or air wash if there is one. This is assuming smoke will still exit other than the vent.

What does the your stove's manual say about venting?

soupy1957 said:
Angles in stove pipe can be problematic over the years, (creosote buildup = fire potential) but.........if you keep it clean, you'll be alright.
It's interesting that the original venting opening points DOWN, and that you chose to point DOWN again, with the NEW venting?!

-Soupy1957

It keeps water out of the venting, and acts as a wind block, otherwise he would have to go higher in order to put a different termination cap on.

The thing that normally accumulates on the cap is fly ash, creosote tends accumulate in the combustion fan area, fire box walls, heat exchanger, or in the ash pan area. This is dependent upon the stove and the combustion air/fuel mixture.

It is important to clean the venting and combustion fan area about every ton of pellets burned. Failure to do this will result in an improper fuel/air mixture. Creosote will form because of this.

I'm not familiar with the MP35/50, but on some stoves the "airwash" is actually just a section of the door glass that doesn't have a gasket in place, so when the uit runs it sucks air from that space along the top of the glass to keep it clean. any chance you have smoke leaking from this spot?

The air wash system on this stove is at the front of the firepot. It blows air up towards the glass.

Im not a vent expert, but shouldnt there be a bonnet of some sort on the end of the pipe? The old vent had one. Looks like a good wind will blow right into that pipe. same with rain.

Hey I have a quick question for you. Do you get any ash build up on your satellite dishes that might mess up the reception? I am sure rain water would rinse it off, but was wondering if a thin layer might change reception.

Nicholas440 said:
Im not a vent expert, but shouldnt there be a bonnet of some sort on the end of the pipe? The old vent had one. Looks like a good wind will blow right into that pipe. same with rain.

If you look at the OP's picture of the new venting you should note that you'd need a wind that blows upward to enter the venting as that front portion of the vent is below the bottom of the "horizontal" run out to the cap.

The only question about his venting I have is it tall enough to have a natural draft effect given the rest of his stove innards, his installation manual should speak to that.

The Radiator said:
Hey I have a quick question for you. Do you get any ash build up on your satellite dishes that might mess up the reception? I am sure rain water would rinse it off, but was wondering if a thin layer might change reception.

Never a problem. I never noticed any accumulation on the dishes.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Nicholas440 said:

If you look at the OP's picture of the new venting you should note that you'd need a wind that blows upward to enter the venting as that front portion of the vent is below the bottom of the "horizontal" run out to the cap.

The only question about his venting I have is it tall enough to have a natural draft effect given the rest of his stove innards, his installation manual should speak to that.

It doesn't mention it. :(

I went by several things that I read online and in heard from some local installers. My biggest concern is that the wind is stopped from getting back to the stove on strong gusts...We shall see I guess. If this does not work I will probably add more pipe next year and take it over the roof. LOL.

EarthStove said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Nicholas440 said:

It doesn't mention it. :(

I went by several things that I read online and in heard from some local installers. My biggest concern is that the wind is stopped from getting back to the stove on strong gusts...We shall see I guess. If this does not work I will probably add more pipe next year and take it over the roof. LOL.

Earthstove, after looking at the pic of the new exhaust set-up, I think the concerns about wind/rain getting pushed back into the new cap are somewhat valid. IMO, I think you should swap out the new cap for the original one you had before.

If he shut the stove completely off then yes it will smoke, If you simply shut off the feed then you have an issue. which did you do??? If you were tring just to see if the smoke would just rise out the exhaust then it would never work with out something helping it to exhaust. There will always be "some" smoke.

woodsman23 said:
If he shut the stove completely off then yes it will smoke, If you simply shut off the feed then you have an issue. which did you do??? If you were tring just to see if the smoke would just rise out the exhaust then it would never work with out something helping it to exhaust. There will always be "some" smoke.

Even if the stove is in full high burn as long as there is enough natural draft there should be no smoke from the stove enter the room the stove is in even pulling the plug shouldn't make it dump smoke into the house.

That is the reason that the OP added vertical length to his vent

SmokeyTheBear said:
woodsman23 said:

Even if the stove is in full high burn as long as there is enough natural draft there should be no smoke from the stove enter the room the stove is in even pulling the plug shouldn't make it dump smoke into the house.

That is the reason that the OP added vertical length to his vent

Yeah that was part of the reason I did that. The other was to reduce/eliminate the amount of smoke blown back into the feeder bin when we have high winds.

Status
Not open for further replies.