Got my Wood for this winter (Finally Done)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Got all the Rack's full. These are gonna be the 3 cord I plan to burn this coming winter (6 racks/ half cord a piece). Its a mix of my half cord left over from last year. The (Almost) cord I got from lethaldose (Forum member I bought my stove from) and the wood I have managed to trade/acquire from friends and Craiglist.

I still have almost 2.5 cord left of 2 yr old seasoned wood to pick-up that I traded for.... ($250 for almost 3.5 cord of 2 yr old wood). That will be dedicated to filling up my woodshed. I wanted what I am going to burn every year, outside for the best seasoning. Will rotate out the woodshed every year when the outside stacks are empty. I am pretty sure that I will stay around 3 cord a year (using pellets too). If I need more I still have more (2.5 cord in wood shed). Along with whatever else I cut/get this year.

Everything I put up now will be for 2012-2013, but mainly for 2013-2014. Feels good to finally be able to relax a little. Been working 7 days a week at work (worked today) and have to work 10 hrs a day this week. So getting the time to do it, has been easier said than done.

I know I could have spaced the stacks further or done some things different. But this is the only spot I could get the wife to agree on. Its next to the garage (behind it actually). I have killed all the grass with weed killer and bought the mulch to lay inside the entire area and rocks for the border. If its gonna be by the house, it better look good (so says the wife). I still have the barn in the back I can fill to.

Here are some pics. The 6 racks are 12ft long x 4.5 ft tall. The metal brackets I ordered from Northline. They are the Rutland brand. Each stack is half cord. 4ft x12 ft.. (Im know there 4.5 tall, I read somewhere here to stack this tall and it will season/settle to 4 ft).

The last Pic is of the Wood I have yet to pick up (Traded). That stack is almost 20 ft long x 3 ft tall. The wood beyond the white fence is his next door neighbors (tried to get some of that too). But everything on this side of it, I have yet to get. This is what will top off the Woodshed. More pics to follow. Still a lot to do......

Attachments

• Stacks are done.jpg
    Stacks are done.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 462
  • Stacks are done #2.jpg
    Stacks are done #2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 467
  • Stacks #3.jpg
    Stacks #3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 475
  • Seasoned Wood.jpg
    Seasoned Wood.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 493
Its a nice feeling when the racks are full, but theres always next year, and the year after that and the year......

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and those racks are a thing of beauty in my eyes. That is a whole lot of warm, and you've worked hard to take care of your family and make your wife happy to boot. Here's to a great winter for you and yours!

snowleopard said:
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and those racks are a thing of beauty in my eyes. That is a whole lot of warm, and you've worked hard to take care of your family and make your wife happy to boot. Here's to a great winter for you and yours!

Thanks, If it were not for this Forum, I'm sure that the wood, would be sitting on the ground in Uneven stacks, all bundled together.

weatherguy said:
Its a nice feeling when the racks are full, but theres always next year, and the year after that and the year......

I hear ya... A lot of work. But it feels easier now... Not gonna slow down too much.

Any reason you spread those racks out so far? I have a decent size yard too but I stack all mine on pallets, 3 rows across, 20ft long, 4.5-5ft tall. (Roughly 3 cords). I hang the 2 outers over a bit so the middle row has 3-4" between the 2 rows. Plenty of air flow.
Costs me nothing for pallets dumpster picked. Just a few nails to hold the vertical ones at the bottom and a couple scraps of lumber as supports.

Nice work Dexter. I don't see where the wife would have any complaining to do on that work.

DexterDay, the wood and your setup looks great. Our first year burning we had a late start so I picked the backyard for stacking which blocked off some of the view from the porch, the stacks are not in the backyard anymore and the wife is happy.

zap

Awesome! Can't wait until I have the extra time to build stack holders like those.

fv

NATE379 said:
Any reason you spread those racks out so far? I have a decent size yard too but I stack all mine on pallets, 3 rows across, 20ft long, 4.5-5ft tall. (Roughly 3 cords). I hang the 2 outers over a bit so the middle row has 3-4" between the 2 rows. Plenty of air flow.
Costs me nothing for pallets dumpster picked. Just a few nails to hold the vertical ones at the bottom and a couple scraps of lumber as supports.

My yard is over 7 acres and I can get pallets all day long from work myself.. The Wife (And me a little bit too), wanted it to look good. Our next door neighbor has everything perfect, Which kind of forces us to not be so "Hill-Billy" (Even though I am, Own 330 acres in Kentucky, My Homeland) Also so far apart so the Sun and air can get between them really nice. We are 200 ft from the road, but not many trees in front of or beside the house. Other than the 20 some trees we have planted, there are not many Big ones. Just trying to make it look descent.

zapny said:
DexterDay, the wood and your setup looks great. Our first year burning we had a late start so I picked the backyard for stacking which blocked off some of the view from the porch, the stacks are not in the backyard anymore and the wife is happy.

zap
With your view, I wouldn't want to stack my wood anywhere near the house.. I love your set-up/lay-out. You are a lucky man.. All of this is stacked directly behind my garage. Not really blocking our view, but just enough out of the way to appease the Ol' Lady. Also blocks the Propane tank for the Garage/Shop. Garage is almost 45ft x45ft ( half is a 3 car garage and the other half is my Shop). You can see my Pellet stove vent in the 2 center photo's. Put bushes up in front of the LP Tank for the House. Gotta hide them from myself. I hate to even look at them.. Glad I Heat my home with Wood/Wood Pellets..

fireview2788 said:
Awesome! Can't wait until I have the extra time to build stack holders like those.

fv

The brackets from Rutland are less than $20. Its about $35 a Rack, when I am done. Built them 2 at a time. Took over a month and a half to get 6. Bought 2 brackets and enough wood for 2 every 2 weeks (Every Pay Day). Only takes me an hour to build 2 of them now. They are very sturdy. I have 4x4's underneath them. On each end and 2 spaced at 4 ft from ends (4 total to spread the weight).

Here are some more pics from further back to show the orientation of where the wood sits in relation to the house. I could have moved the truck and cleaned up a little bit.. But this shows you what it looks like on any given day..
1st pic from the porch of the house
2nd and 3rd from back yard
4th somewhat of an aerial shot. Standing on my mower seat..

I ordered the River Rock today to lay down throughout the entire wood area. Should be here by Friday. Thinking about either landscaping timbers or cheap Pavers, to contain and make a border for the area. Grass is dead. Need to lay-out the Weed-Blocker material, but that will wait for the Rock..

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 263
  • view 2.jpg
    view 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 281
  • View 3.jpg
    View 3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 295
  • view 4.jpg
    view 4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 292
Awesome Dex. Simply awesome job. Feels good doesnt it?

Loco Gringo said:
Awesome Dex. Simply awesome job. Feels good doesnt it?

Absolutley... It Feels Great.. Thanks, I have put a lot of work in that area. Only started about 2 months ago. (Thats the Woodshed remodel and everything) I still have 2.5 Cord left to pick up on a Trade and I have trees/wood down that needs to be C/S/S. I have learned to stay ahead on this Forum. (1st year with Wood, 3rd yr with Pellets). I have 9 tons of Pellets (2-2.5 yrs yrs without Wood) With burning wood I plan to make them last around 3-4 yrs. I am not gonna slouch. I still want to be 3 yrs ahead before the 1st snow-fall. All of you have told me to "Get Ahead".. Well I have the Room. There is NO EXCUSE why I cant do so..

Again, Thanks to EVERYONE on this Forum. No matter what one (Pellet, Hearth, Wood, Gear, Etc) Thank You. You are a in-valuable resource. Could never put a price on the knowledge and information I have taken from here. Kudo's to all who chip in, to make this place what it is.

EDIT:: Here is part of my other driving Force. My new baby and my Son.. The pic with my Son could be better. Her eyes looked like they are Bugged out

Attachments

• Mikayla (new pic).jpg
    Mikayla (new pic).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 272
  • Logan and Mikayla.jpg
    Logan and Mikayla.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 291
The brackets from Rutland are less than $20. Its about $35 a Rack, when I am done. Built them 2 at a time. Took over a month and a half to get 6. Bought 2 brackets and enough wood for 2 every 2 weeks (Every Pay Day). Only takes me an hour to build 2 of them now. They are very sturdy. I have 4x4’s underneath them. On each end and 2 spaced at 4 ft from ends (4 total to spread the weight).

Thats what I used to build my racks but I spaced them 40 inches apart so I can double up, Saved on buying the brackets and the wind can still hit both sides. You did a lot neater job than I did but mine are 100 feet from the house so I didnt have to be so finicky about looks.

weatherguy said:
The brackets from Rutland are less than $20. Its about $35 a Rack, when I am done. Built them 2 at a time. Took over a month and a half to get 6. Bought 2 brackets and enough wood for 2 every 2 weeks (Every Pay Day). Only takes me an hour to build 2 of them now. They are very sturdy. I have 4x4’s underneath them. On each end and 2 spaced at 4 ft from ends (4 total to spread the weight).

Thats what I used to build my racks but I spaced them 40 inches apart so I can double up, Saved on buying the brackets and the wind can still hit both sides. You did a lot neater job than I did but mine are 100 feet from the house so I didnt have to be so finicky about looks.

Double-Wide... Fantastic Idea..... I see more racks in my Future... I didnt think it looks all that neat right now. The landscaping timbers and the River Rock will make it look like actual landscaping.

I would like to have 12 Racks. Or 6 cord stacked like that in Racks. .. Just put the next 6 on the end of the others... They would be 24' long x 4.5 tall.. 1 cord per row... Rows are 48" apart now.. So to add another 18" to each row, would give me 30" to walk in-between. Still like the sound and looks of my LOOONG Stacks..., LOL.. Ever since I seen these on this Forum, I knew that's what I wanted. It costs more money than Pallets.... But only buying 2 at a time, makes it a lot easier... Also, with the investment I have in stoves, I think I can spend a couple bucks on accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.