Got my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colin.p

Burning Hunk
Feb 26, 2011
Ottawa Canada
now to start piling it. I got 10 cords (10 cords Canadian which is roughly 3 and a bit cords American) of ash, maple, birch, ironwood and the odd stick of oak. The F3 will soon be humming. Of course, I hope not too soon.

Is 3 cords all you use through the season or is this just the start of your wood stash?

I usually go through 3 1/2 cords for the winter and this is starting my 5th burning season. I also have a few "old" pieces of silver maple I burn in cool weather and save the harder stuff for the cold weather. I also have a central oil furnace that kicks on during real cold weather. I live in a 110 year old eastern Ontario farm house that has excellent fresh air exchange, so we won't have to worry about bringing in an outside air supply (very heavy sarcasm). The stove is used as a supplement, however, if I had my "druthers", I would have gotten a bigger stove, but this is what I got and what I'll keep.

I was just curious as I usually go through about 4 cords depending on the tempurature. I figure most folks with a modern stove probably go through the same amount of wood. I have a well insulated 2,200 sq. ft. colonial style home and heat with wood about 85% of the time. Maybe more so this winter to offset the high price of oil, although oil prices have been coming down. I'm keeping an eye on the daily price and will try to fill my 2 tanks (600 gallons total) when its at the low point.

Nice going Colin. Just wondering if that is the wood you will burn this year or is it for next year?

Nope, it's for this year. The fella I got it from cut it last August, and because the bulk of it is ash, should be good to go.

Sounds good and you'll be a happy camper when cold weather gets here.

Pics!

colin.p said:
now to start piling it. I got 10 cords (10 cords Canadian which is roughly 3 and a bit cords American) of ash, maple, birch, ironwood and the odd stick of oak. The F3 will soon be humming. Of course, I hope not too soon.

lol

I too live in Canada but "my" cords are 128 cubic feet (with air gaps). I think "your" 10 cords are typically called face cords and are often sold like that in cities since most people don't heat with wood full time, it's more of a pass time.

Are you in ottawa or the outskirts?

Andrew

I live south of Ottawa, near Mountain (between Winchester and Kemptville). I have heated with wood since '79 and not once has a firewood seller sold cut and split wood by the full (or bush cord) always by the face cord. The only time a full cord is mentioned is if I buy it by the tractor trailer load, in 8 foot lengths. But if I say on a wood forum that I burn 10 cords a year, they think the full cord, not a face cord. I'm just happy that I was able to scratch the cash for it this year, however next year......

Oh, and just in case some may have missed it, it was a joke. It's in fact a "metric" cord ;)

Ahhhh. Gotcha. Perhaps on Ontario it's a face cord thing.. lol

In eastern QC, you rarely hear about facecords: some people would burn 15 face cords a winter! lol

Andrew

Swedishchef said:
some people would burn 15 face cords a winter! lol

Some people have burned as many as 30 :mad: Face cords seem to be pretty prevalent on both sides of the border above Montreal.

SolarAndWood said:
Swedishchef said:
some people would burn 15 face cords a winter! lol

Some people have burned as many as 30 :mad: Face cords seem to be pretty prevalent on both sides of the border above Montreal.

30 is my Avg!

smokinjay said:
30 is my Avg!

Feelin for ya, I was there before I started the house mods. I'm just about done with felt/foam/tyvek/protecto/wood siding on the windward side of the house. Looking forward to seeing how much less I burn this year.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
30 is my Avg!

Feelin for ya, I was there before I started the house mods. I'm just about done with felt/foam/tyvek/protecto/wood siding on the windward side of the house. Looking forward to seeing how much less I burn this year.

I am running a furnace and hot water I heat 2700sqft full wind! My ash trees and landscape have came a ways in 6 years. (Cant think of one thing to improve on insulation at this point)

Full wind has been the killer for me. Two stories of glass with a 20 mile view of the prevailing winds was brutal with 50 yo 4x6 single panes you could see around the edges of.

SolarAndWood said:
Full wind has been the killer for me. Two stories of glass with a 20 mile view of the prevailing winds was brutal with 50 yo 4x6 single panes you could see around the edges of.

You Know lol 30 +mph wind with temp under about 22 degrees and its on!

Solar, I imagine that you get some serious winter weather there. Hopefully this year you'll see a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.