Got part of my wood supply under roof today w/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I had a new roof put on my house yesterday ( gotta love a good hail storm when your roof is pushing 20 years old and you have good insurance.) :) The dumpster was due to be picked up today and scrounger that I am, I started poking around and found a bunch of extra shingles. Always thinking in terms of wood, supply, stove etc. I naturally found a good use for them.

I never covered my wood before but I've seen Backwood Savage say many times that he covers his wood after the first year of seasoning. This is part of a Red Oak scrounge last year so it is a year old now and I don't see that I'll need to touch it until next year at the earliest. Deferring to experience greater than mine, I decided to start covering my wood from last year with whatever I can find that I don't have to pay for and this was easy enough. This is not a particularly wind area so I don't anticipate any issues there but we'll see. The less in the landfill the better too.

Attachments

• wood under roof-1.jpg
    wood under roof-1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 527
  • wood under roof-2.jpg
    wood under roof-2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 514
Very resourceful. My wife would have a cow if she saw me rooting through a dumpster. She wouldn't be surprised, she would just have a cow.

Best answer I can give you right now it "Because Dennis says to" so I figured I'd give it a try for a couple of years and see if I can see any difference. Didn't take me any time to speak of and I figure it can't hurt anything that's for sure.

This seems to be an age old thread theme here and I've never covered my wood but if its easy and doesn't cost me anything, I'll see how it goes.

Some folks don't like to cover their wood and that is okay. We still think it makes a difference. However, I am usually open to experimenting and it has been a long, long time, many moons, since we left a stack uncovered over winter. So, the little bit of wood we cut last winter is going to be left uncovered, just for kicks. It won't be burned for a couple more years and we'll see how it does.

Looks like a good idea to me,you can staple those shingles to the wood and the wind will play hell to remove em.

Constrictor said:
im just curious as to why you would cover your wood?

Some cover some don't, I don't-- some like Snakes some don't, I don't

Backwoods Savage said:
Some folks don't like to cover their wood and that is okay. We still think it makes a difference. However, I am usually open to experimenting and it has been a long, long time, many moons, since we left a stack uncovered over winter. So, the little bit of wood we cut last winter is going to be left uncovered, just for kicks. It won't be burned for a couple more years and we'll see how it does.

Yea, that's what I'm doing, experimenting. Never done it before so I figured since I had some good material to do it with, I'd give it a try. I have some more of the same wood from the same scrounge that I'll leave uncovered and see if I tell any difference this time next year.

Good work woodpile. That will work well for you. I cover the tops of my piles with clear plastic, if I have some available. I have also left it uncovered and it dried just fine. Mine does go in under the covered porch in the middle of September though. If your wood is not under a roof, I would definitely recommend covering the top around the same time to keep it from getting unnecessarily wet just before the burning season. No since burning more water than what is still in the wood when it is "seasoned". ;-)

i guess it never hurts for one to learn about covering themselves. i did that experiment years ago and like my proceedures. carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.