Got some homework!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Billy

Minister of Fire
Dec 10, 2008
Britton MI
I had a small intense thunderstorm come through saturday evening. It knocked down a few trees in the pasture and left me with some cleanup to do like I needed another project! I also lost power for 16 hrs which had me running around finding parts to finish getting my 14 hp lister diesel generator going.

Sure is going to be fun to clean up. All but one tree fell across the creek and my horse fencing. Luckily none of them hit Dancer as one of them was next to his favorite place to stand and nap.

252089_1734756023673_1681757389_1197343_5268504_n.jpg

252089_1734756063674_1681757389_1197344_3865051_n.jpg

252089_1734756183677_1681757389_1197347_8345139_n.jpg

One of them pretty well smashed my bridge so now I'll have to go all the way around when I need to get to the other side of the creek.

224529_1734781504310_1681757389_1197388_4918640_n.jpg

224529_1734781624313_1681757389_1197391_3093191_n.jpg

The lister diesel showed its stuff too. This was the first time I used it to make power. And it had no problem running the well, A/C, fridge, microwave computer and everything else in the house and garage. Its a low speed 14hp diesel and nothing I threw at it slowed it down and with the massive flywheels on it it didn't have any problem starting the A/C or air compressor. Being low speed its very fuel efficient as it uses more of the thermal energy of the fuel. It only burns 1/4 pint of fuel per 1000 KW put out per hour. Its liquid cooled but doesn't have a water pump and uses a thermal siphon cooling with a cooling tank. I am using a milk can that my Grandma gave me for now its a little small but it works!

284705_1735812450083_1681757389_1198809_5926469_n.jpg

I wish I could post a video of it running so you could hear it run as I love the sound of it! This new ULSD diesel fuel melted my fuel line and it took me a while to find fitting to change it from a compressing fitting steel braid line to a barb end fuel line then longer still to get the injector bled. But it is a awesome engine and will run on old motor oil bio diesel or vegetable oil.

Billy

Nasty touch of weather you had. Interesting pictures. Thanks for the post.

Your Diesel cooling setup is very interesting. The diameter of the lines leading to the milk can must have limited flow. And the surface area of the five gallon milk can can only reject so much heat. The IR temperature readings on the setup would tell the tale. But the fact that it works is the bottom line.

Oh Boy, Wished you had smell-a-vision for cutting that one its a real treat! ;-)

Billy, I wonder if that was the same storm my son drove through. I was talking to him on the phone as he passed Cabela's and he said there was a solid white wall up ahead. He shortly had to get off the phone so he could concentrate fully on his driving. I guess it really came down and some wind with it. btw, how far from Cabela do you live?

JimboM said:
Nasty touch of weather you had. Interesting pictures. Thanks for the post.

Your Diesel cooling setup is very interesting. The diameter of the lines leading to the milk can must have limited flow. And the surface area of the five gallon milk can can only reject so much heat. The IR temperature readings on the setup would tell the tale. But the fact that it works is the bottom line.

I believe these systems work at atmospheric pressure and simply boil off the water. (Then you keep refilling it.) The open can doesn't really radiate much heat as we've all become familiar with using pressure systems. You can see these more simply on antique ag engines.

Correct me please Billy if I'm wrong.

[quote author="Cowboy Billy" date="1311611185"]I had a small intense thunderstorm come through saturday evening. It knocked down a few trees in the pasture and left me with some cleanup to do like I needed another project! I also lost power for 16 hrs which had me running around finding parts to finish getting my 14 hp lister diesel generator going.

Sure is going to be fun to clean up. All but one tree fell across the creek and my horse fencing. Luckily none of them hit Dancer as one of them was next to his favorite place to stand and nap.

Fill the saw with gas and oil then get some of that big equipment and do it the easy way. Looks like a what we call a micro burst went through, how is the base of the bridge or did you get a chance to check that out.

Be safe, Zap

Howdy Jimbo

As GrandpaJohn said the water can't get much past 212 F. One of the bigger problems with these is running them in cold weather as there's no thermostat and when they run cold they carbon up badly. Eventually it is going to get a radiator fan, and thermostat but I have had so many other things going on I just don't have time to work on it. I was told to use a 55 gal drum for a cooling tank but the tank has to be higher than the head to work and I didn't have time to make a stand for one I would have liked to check the temp while it was running under the load but I left my temp gun at the farm.

Thanks Jay

Maybe I could dump some air freshener in the tank of the saw?

Thanks Jags

I don't have kids so I have to have something to keep me busy.

Howdy Dennis

If it was around 5:00 pm it was probably it. I'm 10 miles west of Cabela's. I was driving home from my sisters house and missed most of it but I cought the tail end of the storm and could only drive 10 mph for the last 1/2 mile.

You're right GrandPaJohn!

Billy

Must be nice to have rain. Hasn't had more than just enough to keep some of the dust down in weeks. Apparently, it's been pretty close. I actually don't remember the last time I cut grass, so it's not all bad, but corn sure is looking rough.

Hi Zap

I didn't look at it yet. But there's no foundation it was built on what looks like steel gas pipe laid on the ground. I've been planing on moving it for a few years. Looks like I get to now.

Hi Jeff

Definitely needed the rain. The pasture was really getting dried out. But it sent the humidity through the roof.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Howdy Jimbo

As GrandpaJohn said the water can't get much past 212 F. One of the bigger problems with these is running them in cold weather as there's no thermostat and when they run cold they carbon up badly. Eventually it is going to get a radiator fan, and thermostat but I have had so many other things going on I just don't have time to work on it. I was told to use a 55 gal drum for a cooling tank but the tank has to be higher than the head to work and I didn't have time to make a stand for one I would have liked to check the temp while it was running under the load but I left my temp gun at the farm.

Thanks Jay

Maybe I could dump some air freshener in the tank of the saw?

Thanks Jags

I don't have kids so I have to have something to keep me busy.

Howdy Dennis

If it was around 5:00 pm it was probably it. I'm 10 miles west of Cabela's. I was driving home from my sisters house and missed most of it but I cought the tail end of the storm and could only drive 10 mph for the last 1/2 mile.

You're right GrandPaJohn!

Billy

Sounds like you better get a patten quick! ;-)

Nice genny!! Those things are supposed to run forever. I don't think they are available anymore (thanks to the EPA I believe).

I'm glad to see everyone (Dancer) made out of the storm safe. That looks like a big willow that fell down. Too bad the low BTUs won't make up for the bridge being destroyed. Let's buck it up anyway.

k9brain said:
I'm glad to see everyone (Dancer) made out of the storm safe. That looks like a big willow that fell down. Too bad the low BTUs won't make up for the bridge being destroyed. Let's buck it up anyway.

Looks like all the downers are willow. Too bad for you. Soooo much water in the stuff. PITA no matter where it ends up.

As I understand, there are Chinese companies selling Lister-lookalikes. Just saying.

Cowboy Billy said:
I wish I could post a video of it running so you could hear it run as I love the sound of it!

Sounds like heaven to me, an excuse to fire up an old Lister, and plenty of unexpected wood to chop up.

We have a rally here every year when loads of people bring their stationary engines along for display, I love going along ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL2VqFQYkT4

On the chainsaw air freshener Jay?

Hi Mark

Its actually a lister clone and not as well built as the original ones. The real listers were known to run for over a 100,000 hrs with little maintenance. The only way to get one now is in parts and you put it together or one that was documented to have been built before the epa ban.

Thanks K9

The bridge has been needing a new deck for a while. Now that it got busted up I am going to move it to a better spot.

Hi CTYank

Actually the lister clones were coming from India. The chingfa's were coming from china. Yep the willows are a pain but they will be burnt.

Thanks WoodChip

Great video wish I could have been there!

Billy

Well I was able to the the tree off of the bridge without breaking the beams. I did have my neighbor come over and watch me so if the bridge broke while I was cutting it off I would have someone that could get help.

285078_1739915312652_1681757389_1203853_1290014_n.jpg

Its times like this that the 2186 and 32" bar come in handy.

228876_1739935273151_1681757389_1203882_5171158_n.jpg

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had planed on. The county had the road closed so I couldn't get to the other side of the creek.

Billy

CTYank said:
[Looks like all the downers are willow. Too bad for you. Soooo much water in the stuff. PITA no matter where it ends up.

Although a very wet wood, it dries out surprisingly quickly over here, and burns well too.

Hybrid willows are now planted for high speed growth and quick harvesting for biofuels.

Must admit, I'd prefer someone to clone a very fast growing oak tree that could season in a year ;-)

Cowboy Billy said:
Well I was able to the the tree off of the bridge without breaking the beams.

That's cool. Could have been a lot worse than repairing the railings.

Must admit, I’d prefer someone to clone a very fast growing oak tree that could season in a year

Me too WoodChip!

No doubt about that S&W

Billy

CB
You have a good attitude toward it all.
Get-r-done.
Needed a new deck on the bridge! LOL

Thanks Dave

Its all in how you look at it. The more challenges we take on the more challenges we can over come.

Glad I am just about done with the branches and limbs. I forgot how much more work it is when you can't just leave them lay there. I like to get all the little stuff cut up and out of the way before I start on the big stuff. Save the best for last.

I got soaked twice yesterday. The first time it started out as a light rain and I worked in it 1.5 hrs before I gave up and went in. The second time I was setup on the big popple stem I had the tractor worked between it and the creek so I could push it against the lean to keep it from going in to. Just got the notch started and it started pouring but I finished my cuts and pushed it over.

I got almost 2" of rain last nite and this morning. I'm glad I got all but one branch out of the creek.

283992_1742711542556_1681757389_1206905_8172553_n.jpg

283073_1742714822638_1681757389_1206909_6842089_n.jpg

Starting to look a little cleaner.

283073_1742714702635_1681757389_1206906_6564206_n.jpg

And the brush piles are getting bigger.

283073_1742714742636_1681757389_1206907_769614_n.jpg

And the fun part blocking up the trunks with the 2186.

283073_1742714782637_1681757389_1206908_4140555_n.jpg

Billy

Nice work Billy. Send that rain this way, the brook is way down along with the river. We have been getting cooler weather at night (60-65) so thats been nice.

zap

Chainsaw Heaven right there! ;-)

Sorry Zap I tried but it came back here instead. Be careful what you wish for!

Jay

It will when I get back. It looks like time to take a break. I'm going to go plant some deer feed plots and maybe run the sawmill some. Good thing I didn't pick up all the trees yet that's all thats stopping some of my wood from floating down stream!

253282_1744081656808_1681757389_1208741_6163510_n.jpg

189329_1744085936915_1681757389_1208748_4557361_n.jpg

Wood ain't going to dry much like this!!!

189329_1744086056918_1681757389_1208751_4011022_n.jpg

Oh well the creek comes up fast and goes down fast. Ya just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.