Got some red oak. More later this weekend too.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scroungerjeff

Burning Hunk
Feb 4, 2012
S Jersey
This is my new used F250 with a cap. Was not sure if the cap would be a pain, but so far not too bad if I take it easy. Plus I only had to haul them a few hundred feet from my buddy's farm where the wood was dropped to my yard.
splits in truck.JPG

The other picture is some quarters i droped off by the side of my house. This is about 1/3 of what I still need to cut and split. They generally split nicely with just a sledge and a wedge or two. I have to make some new racks for this wood. I have about at least half a cord either split or quartered. The wood came in large clean logs from a friend who dropped them off in a big dump truck. They were killed by the derecho storm back in June. It's been too hot to really tackle the logs until recently
splits pile.JPG .

Nice oak score!
Is the truck used for anything other than wood hauling/house projects?
If not the cap would off that sucker and some side boards added to load that 3/4T like it should be.

Nice oak score!
Is the truck used for anything other than wood hauling/house projects?
If not the cap would off that sucker and some side boards added to load that 3/4T like it should be.
basod
The truck is my primary vehicle and i use it for a variety of other things. I also help my mom haul her horse and trailer to shows. I am still on the fence about keeping the cap. The truck is very clean and low mileage and the cap is a perfect match so I am leaning toward keeping it on.

nice oak score...a couple years from now that will be some serious heat

Nice score - get a long handled pickaroon for getting the pieces from the back - I have a cap too and it makes it a lot easier (don't have to jump in the bed). Cheers!

Nice load.

I love the smell of freshly split red oak and cage master is right it will take 3 years to be optimal fuel.

Very nice!!

You one tough fellow if you split that Oak with that blue 8lb sledg

Ah...yes the smell of fresh split red oak ! One of my favorites.

Reactions: Senatormofo
The rounds were so straight that it was not that tough splitting them into quarters. I used a four pound wedge and that ten pound sledge. I split a few quarters today with the fiskars X27 and it was effortless. I should have tried to have had the logs milled instead of bucked. Seriously they were flawless.

The rounds were so straight that it was not that tough splitting them into quarters. I used a four pound wedge and that ten pound sledge. I split a few quarters today with the fiskars X27 and it was effortless. I should have tried to have had the logs milled instead of bucked. Seriously they were flawless.

Yes that's pretty much what I use, except I just have a regular splitting maul instead of the fiskars. Plus if you split it small enough, you could just let is season in the bed of your truck since it's already covered!

A load of serious BTUs there.
Easier to handle them split into 1/4s ;)
Even the 1/4s look pretty heavy to me.

Quarters were pretty heavy. No way I was picking up those rounds or even halves. There is so much water in red oak. It does smell pretty good but nothing beats white oak. I am making the extra effort to split them small to see if they season faster. Plus my wife does not want to pick up large splits.

Quarters were pretty heavy. No way I was picking up those rounds or even halves. There is so much water in red oak. It does smell pretty good but nothing beats white oak. I am making the extra effort to split them small to see if they season faster. Plus my wife does not want to pick up large splits.

Just think, in 2 or 3 years, they will be allot lighter.
I noticed when I moved the birch to the woodshed, how much lighter the splits were ;)

Red Oak is my favorite! Nice Scrounge!

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Red Oak is my favorite! Nice Scrounge!
Thanks I am lucky to have so much of it around here. I tell you those straight grained quarters split like a dream with the Fisksrs X27. It is fun to to just pop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.