Got Some Stacking Done.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Well the weather cooperated this weekend so my wife and I gotsome stacking done this morning. The total tally from my Oak and Hickory I cut down was 3.6 cords. Now I owe my wife a DQ Blizzard since we were betting on the cordage and she almost nailed it exactly. In this case i'm glad I was wrong as I was betting under 3.2 and she said 3.75. now I just have to listen to the gloating for a while :smirk:

Attachments

• 2011-04-30_13-35-32_352.jpg
    2011-04-30_13-35-32_352.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 2011-04-30_13-34-56_820.jpg
    2011-04-30_13-34-56_820.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 366
Next I need to rearrange the left over stacks from this year.

Attachments

• 2011-04-30_13-36-07_720.jpg
    2011-04-30_13-36-07_720.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 2011-04-30_13-35-39_969.jpg
    2011-04-30_13-35-39_969.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 396
When it shrinks some from drying, in a couple of months it'll probably be right between your guesses. Honest.

The sight of stacks of fuel wood like that is better than "money in the bank" nowadays, since OPEC folks can't affect the price.

Do you catch yourself gazing admiringly as you pass by?

WE love pics of C/S/S wood.
Oak & hickory. Even better.
Is it in different piles?
I don't get that good of hard wood here, but have read here that Oak takes longer (2 yrs + ) to season than Hickory. True?

On the way home from DQ, pick up a 6 pack, sit & enjoy the view.
Good job. (to both of you)

certified106 said:
Well the weather cooperated this weekend so my wife and I gotsome stacking done this morning. The total tally from my Oak and Hickory I cut down was 3.6 cords. Now I owe my wife a DQ Blizzard since we were betting on the cordage and she almost nailed it exactly. In this case i'm glad I was wrong as I was betting under 3.2 and she said 3.75. now I just have to listen to the gloating for a while :smirk:

certified106, the stacks look great and the blizzard should taste great.

GIBIR

certified, that looks good. Now that you are done and have practiced some on the guessing I highly suggest you two come up to MI to guess how much I have. Then we could all stack it to see who is the closest. That Blizzard might have to wait a bit though because of lack of DQ in the area.

bogydave said:
I don't get that good of hard wood here, but have read here that Oak takes longer (2 yrs + ) to season than Hickory. True?

All I have around here is Oak and Hickory. My experience is that Hickory takes just as long, or longer, to season than Oak.

CTYank said:
When it shrinks some from drying, in a couple of months it'll probably be right between your guesses. Honest.

The sight of stacks of fuel wood like that is better than "money in the bank" nowadays, since OPEC folks can't affect the price.

Do you catch yourself gazing admiringly as you pass by?

As I pass by........No I don't stare at it as I pass by I stack it in plain sight so I can stare at it while eating dinner, getting up in the morning, doing dishes........I think you get the point. I am obsessed with my wood....hahaha

bogydave said:

On the way home from DQ, pick up a 6 pack, sit & enjoy the view.

The long row is 90% hickory with about a pallet and a half of white oak at the end.

Backwoods Savage said:
certified, that looks good. Now that you are done and have practiced some on the guessing I highly suggest you two come up to MI to guess how much I have. Then we could all stack it to see who is the closest. That Blizzard might have to wait a bit though because of lack of DQ in the area.

If I lived close enough I would be over there In a heartbeat to help you stack. The betting on how much is there is just our thing that we have been doing for years. Sometimes I win and some times she does but however it turns out we just feel blessed to be able to work side by side and it gives us both satisfaction to know we accomplished it together. I have offered numerous times to help get one of the guys I know ahead on wood but regardless of my offers to help him get a year or two ahead he still ends up cutting a week at a time all winter long. It frustrates me to no end to see him struggle through it that way since I have been there and done that and it stunk.

Great looking stack Certified!

3.6 cord is a great effort. I am right around there for a total for this season. Hoping the new stove will be more efficient and I will have just the right amount for this year.

Remkel said:
Great looking stack Certified!

3.6 cord is a great effort. I am right around there for a total for this season. Hoping the new stove will be more efficient and I will have just the right amount for this year.

Thanks remkel, now if I can get the last cord of bucked wood split and stacked I can take it easy on the wood processing untill this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.