Got started cutting wood today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
December is here so time for us to start cutting wood again. Problem so far has been that things were too wet and for a few days we could not even get to the woods with equipment due to a super heavy wet snow that brought branches and trees to the ground. Even had to cut our way out the driveway. So there were a few days we could not cut and there is also the other job of supervising the crew we have cutting off our pines and some popple.

I did not cut much today but at least got started. Sorry for no pictures. I cut up a downed ironwood plus trimmed more trees, mostly maple. I also spent a good deal of time still clearing lanes so that stole time from wood cutting. Well, this is for the winter 2016-2017 so we don't have to hurry.

I never look at cutting wood as a race . . . even a marathon . . . rather I just go out and cut until I am tired, bored, hungry or what have you . . . it's surprising how much you can do when you just do a little here and there . . . it all adds up in time.

Backwoods Savage said:
December is here so time for us to start cutting wood again. Problem so far has been that things were too wet and for a few days we could not even get to the woods with equipment due to a super heavy wet snow that brought branches and trees to the ground. Even had to cut our way out the driveway. So there were a few days we could not cut and there is also the other job of supervising the crew we have cutting off our pines and some popple.

I did not cut much today but at least got started. Sorry for no pictures. I cut up a downed ironwood plus trimmed more trees, mostly maple. I also spent a good deal of time still clearing lanes so that stole time from wood cutting. Well, this is for the winter 2016-2017 so we don't have to hurry.

Like you said Sav, that is the nice thing about being ahead you can cut at your own speed or if weather does not permit you to cut then it's not so bad. Keep that heavy wet snow for another month or so. :cheese:

zap

Dennis shot gun season just got over here so i'm gonna start up cutting too. Same problem here though is that everything is just soaked, no place for the water to go. We had 3 inches of rain last week and picked up another 1/2 inch of rain today and snowing now

firefighterjake said:
I never look at cutting wood as a race . . . even a marathon . . . rather I just go out and cut until I am tired, bored, hungry or what have you . . . it's surprising how much you can do when you just do a little here and there . . . it all adds up in time.

Same here. When it starts to feel like more work than fun, that's my cue to go quit. That's the best part of being ahead in your supply.

lukem said:
firefighterjake said:

Same here. When it starts to feel like more work than fun, that's my cue to go quit. That's the best part of being ahead in your supply.

+1!

Yes Dennis you need to start cutting again for next year, don't wait! Remember if you can get three years ahead you will be surprised how much better it burns. Some one here at hearth.com keeps telling people that :p

Given the pics you have posted, I can only assume you are now cutting for your grandchildren, so they will have "BWS seasoned wood" when they grow up?

Why wait for December? For the sap to go down? My cutting usually starts at the end of fishing. I am glad I don't hunt - because I'd never get any wood cut. This years storms (hurricane and freak Oct snow) got me into it way early.

It feels good though and I bet you enjoyed it! I do think it's a better chore to do in the winter. It's a real work out when it's hot out.

"grandkid's wood" now that's funny.

I've been itching to get some trees bucked up since they got taken down a while back.
I'm just about done working on the bathroom, so I can get out and do that soon.
Dennis, we still haven't gotten any more than just a dusting of snow. Seems to stay just south of us.

Backwoods Savage said:

Getting started is the toughest part.
Then the plan gets formulated & modified to work with the conditions you have.
Soon you'll be purring along at a maintainable pace, having fun.
Being ahead has many benefits. "Pace work" instead of "piece work" is one of them.
Enjoy ! :)

Dropped a nasty pin oak today. Found a couple more that have died too. Neighbor came to look and he plans on helping cut more of the dead ash. This is the fellow we supplied with wood last winter and now he wants to help us out. We'll let him but not before he has cut enough for next winter. He already has enough for this winter so he is coming along nicely. We have still an overabundance of dead ash to cut.

Bert, not the grandkids, but the great grandkids too.

Backwoods Savage said:
December is here so time for us to start cutting wood again. Problem so far has been that things were too wet and for a few days we could not even get to the woods with equipment due to a super heavy wet snow that brought branches and trees to the ground. Even had to cut our way out the driveway. So there were a few days we could not cut and there is also the other job of supervising the crew we have cutting off our pines and some popple. I did not cut much today but at least got started. Sorry for no pictures. I cut up a downed ironwood plus trimmed more trees, mostly maple. I also spent a good deal of time still clearing lanes so that stole time from wood cutting. Well, this is for the winter 2016-2017 so we don't have to hurry.

Dennis. Good to see you are at it already. As you already know, you have to be very careful cutting with that nasty stuff on the ground. Slippery substances and cutting wood can give us trouble. As you also know, no pics, it didn't happen. :lol: Just kidding man. Looking forward to see any pics when you have the time. It is nice to not have to worry about what you get cut because you are ahead. I am glad when I am on vacation and cutting wood. When I leave the woods for the day I always remember it will still be there for me tomorrow. I did see something that may work for you if you continue with that nasty stuff on ground. Do you have a snowmobile? I remember a few times when one of these would have come in handy. Especially if I had a snowmobile or tractor to go with it. :lol:

Attachments

• snow trailer.jpg
    snow trailer.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 243
No longer have a snowmachine but do have a nice atv. I also built a dray to haul logs out of the woods. Works like a charm with or without snow. This dray cost me about $10 and maybe an hour's work (I work slow) to put together. It pulls very easy and we use it for moving many things. Sort of like a stone boat but a stone boat has a solid bottom whereas the dray doesn't have that solid bottom.

Dray-1.jpg

Haulinglogs4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.