Got the new Englander 30 (Summers Heat) burning, WOW.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sourbeer

Jan 27, 2009
MD
This thing throws some serious heat. I got it in place this morning, started the fire a little before noon. It was a little difficult to start, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but once it was going it really went. I'm not used to such a large glass front seeing the secondary burn going thermonuclear like it does. I have been burning a Jotul 118cb which is a great stove but just not quite big enough to heat my entire house on the colder days.

I did a bunch of searches and read up a good bit on the Englander stoves, great information here for sure. I'll try to post some observations after I've had the opportunity to burn it for some time. My logs are a little long as I was used to the deep firebox of the 118cb. I'll be cutting shorter chunks in the future for sure.

oh yeah, stove top thermometer reads around 600 and the flue thermometer is less than 250. How does that sound?

Hey Sourbeer,

Congrats on you new and larger stove. Enjoy it.

Welcome to Hearth.com! You will love it here.

I'm glad that you are happy with your stove, but aren't you supposed to break it in with a few small fires first? I'd check the manual, but you may have to do that; I'm not familiar with this brand of stove except what I've read on here. Good luck with it!

PA. Woodsman said:
I'm glad that you are happy with your stove, but aren't you supposed to break it in with a few small fires first?

Nah ya just load it and go.

PA, a real good point!

Those steel things don't need no break in, just go 0 to 600F at the first start-up. ;>)

Sourbeer,

What does the Owner's Manual say for break-in on your new stove?

i just got a Englander NC13 which is the kid brother of the 30 and it puts out ignorant heat for its size ,once its burning some dry oak and secondarys come on its almost diffcult to get near the stove to feed the dang thing lol , a 30NC must really burn the paint off the walls ,lowes has them on clearance this week for around 500 bucks right now in NW PA. for anyone interested,from what ive seen dollar for dollar size for size quality for quality i dont think there is any stove company that compares to englander

The manual says for the first fire....

Allow stove to cure before burning for long periods of time at high temperatures.

so, when i first got the fire going, i had a window open and the ceiling fans whirling. got a little stinky from the paint as have other new stoves or freshly painted ones that I've been around. After it cured, seems fine. I was actually surprised at how easily it hit 600F temps after I put a few splits in it. I still haven't really loaded it full, have been using lesser loads trying to get used to the burn characteristics and control of the stove. I am impressed thus far. I was not comfortable putting a full load in it before heading to bed, so I'll likely get up and check it/feed it at some point. My thermometer (weather station on the wall), reads 26F outside and 67F inside upstairs.

lexybird said:
i just got a Englander NC13 which is the kid brother of the 30 and it puts out ignorant heat for its size ,once its burning some dry oak and secondarys come on its almost diffcult to get near the stove to feed the dang thing lol , a 30NC must really burn the paint off the walls ,lowes has them on clearance this week for around 500 bucks right now in NW PA. for anyone interested,from what ive seen dollar for dollar size for size quality for quality i dont think there is any stove company that compares to englander

What kind of burn times are you finding with the 13? What size wood does it take? What are you heating with it? I have a VC resolute and every so often I get a bug up my butt to change it out. I have a 30 and I love the simplicity of it. Just curious how you were finding the 13. thanks

michaelthomas said:
lexybird said:

What kind of burn times are you finding with the 13? What size wood does it take? What are you heating with it? I have a VC resolute and every so often I get a bug up my butt to change it out. I have a 30 and I love the simplicity of it. Just curious how you were finding the 13. thanks

keep in mind i just got mine so i cant really speak with authority over a period of time ,to give yo uan idea
i got my stove burning friday night id say around 10:30 with 18-20' long splits ,saw everything was working great and putting out heat so i locked it down secondarys took off and started charring the wood ,my setup is safe where i have it so i went to bed the next morning my cousin came over knocking , got me out of bed to check out my stove that i jsut got a screaming deal on and when i showed him it..it was still burning a good size hunk of wood and there was more than enough hot coals to easily light off another charge quickly. i was shocked so if you damper it down it will hold and put off heat for a long time ,definitly get the englander blower ..i use a box fan behind it for now but il lbe getting the blower to get even more effecint heat out of her soon. i heat my 24x24 garage with this one and its not insulated al lthat great but i had it about 70 degrees in a fair amount of time.very showy flames through the glass door and well thought out stove design for the money .the epa ratings stand for something i may have used 6 -8 medium splits ot heat my building most of the day

This thing does throw off some serious heat for a long time with a few sticks of wood. I love the burn times and the fire show(secondary burn) seen through the large glass door. I'm actually looking forward to some colder weather to burn through now as it got up to 45 or so today and i'm trying to coast along without running us out of the house.

I'm thinking of looking for one of the blower attachments while they are on sale, didn't even look for one before. Wondering if that makes a big difference and is worth adding to distribute the heat.

I started a load of pine in my 30 this morning at about 10:00, since it was supposed to get up to about 40 degrees today. Here it is 9:30pm and it's still 81 degrees in my stove room.

Looks like it'll just be a small load right at bed time to keep the furnace from kicking on by morning.

-SF

michaelthomas said:
lexybird said:

Hopefully.... I will be able to report on the 13 soon.
http://i40.tinypic.com/11rgcif.jpg

My englander burns the stovepipe at usually between 250 & 400 degrees with average being 300. I believe the best temp for not making creosote is at least 230. Ive had mine up to 500 a few times. Your going to love this stove.

lexybird said:
michaelthomas said:
lexybird said:

keep in mind i just got mine so i cant really speak with authority over a period of time ,to give yo uan idea
i got my stove burning friday night id say around 10:30 with 18-20' long splits ,saw everything was working great and putting out heat so i locked it down secondarys took off and started charring the wood ,my setup is safe where i have it so i went to bed the next morning my cousin came over knocking , got me out of bed to check out my stove that i jsut got a screaming deal on and when i showed him it..it was still burning a good size hunk of wood and there was more than enough hot coals to easily light off another charge quickly. i was shocked so if you damper it down it will hold and put off heat for a long time ,definitly get the englander blower ..i use a box fan behind it for now but il lbe getting the blower to get even more effecint heat out of her soon. i heat my 24x24 garage with this one and its not insulated al lthat great but i had it about 70 degrees in a fair amount of time.very showy flames through the glass door and well thought out stove design for the money .the epa ratings stand for something i may have used 6 -8 medium splits ot heat my building most of the day

I have a 13 which I put in last fall. I love the stove but can't get the over night burns you are talking about. I'll load it up about 10 PM and at 6:30 AM it is out with basically no coals. Any suggestions?

lexybird said:

Seriously?

3.0 CF for 500 bucks?

PA is low cost of living compared to here, but that's an incredible deal for any stove IMO. This is an EPA certified unit, right?

blel said:
lexybird said:
michaelthomas said:
lexybird said:

I have a 13 which I put in last fall. I love the stove but can't get the over night burns you are talking about. I'll load it up about 10 PM and at 6:30 AM it is out with basically no coals. Any suggestions?

Use large splits compared to multiple smaller splits and you may want to open the air a little more.
I noticed on the 30 if you put one or two monster logs in it get way more time than 3 or 4 big splits.

karri0n said:
Seriously?

3.0 CF for 500 bucks?

PA is low cost of living compared to here, but that's an incredible deal for any stove IMO. This is an EPA certified unit, right?

Without looking at the specs again, I believe it is actually a 3.5 cu ft firebox. Yep, its EPA cert. and Yep, 500 bucks is a heck of a deal for a stove with that kind of heating power and functionality.

Edit:
30-NC SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions:

23 1/4" W x 27 3/4" H x 24 1/2" D
Weight:
455 lbs.
Window opening: 10" x 13"
AC-G30 glass: 11 1/4" x 15 1/8"
Firebox size: 3.5 cu. ft.
Flue size ID: 6"
Flue height to top exhaust: 28 1/4"
Door opening size: 11" x 15"
Ash drawer:Standard

clicky here

lowes lists the NC30 for 1,099 ...for the next week or so they are 50% off for the seasonal clearance special alteast in nw PA> they are ...that means your stove would be 549$ brand new, now if your fortunate enough and can find a dented or scratched englander like i did you can trim a hundred or two even off that price

Don't forget the ash drawer, it fills up FAST. I have to empty mine almost everyday with 24/7 burning.

Shipper

OPPS wrong stove. :red:

Wonder how much it would cost to have one shipped to kansas. That's a good deal but the "clicky" only takes me to my local Lowes. I'm jelous. Sigh!

realstihl said:
Wonder how much it would cost to have one shipped to kansas. That's a good deal but the "clicky" only takes me to my local Lowes. I'm jelous. Sigh!

oh sorry bout that.. guess i just assumed that was everybodies price

Send them an email. I bet they just haven't changed the status on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.