Got the Speeco 22T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Splitters everywhere here are on sale today. Paper is loaded with them.
After a day of kicking the tires on about 10 splitters, I narrowed ti to MTD(troybuilt 27 T ) at Lowes
& Speeco 22T at local hardware store.
Got the speeco, it looks heavier made, I like the cradle so log center themselves & don't roll off, working height better for me,
more ground clearance, easier to tilt, faster cycle time (14 sec VS 19 sec), all oiled & gassed up full.
Re-conditioned, new warrantee.
After watching videos of log splitters bending over, picking up the 1/2 split, & splitting it so
I made a small table for one side. (Old man table) so less bending/lifting if I end up using it mostly horizontal.
Will give it a go after the snow either melts or freezes,

Attachments

• 100_4415.jpg
    100_4415.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 100_4416.jpg
    100_4416.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 627
nice looking splitter should work out good for ya! can beat reconditioned prices with a new gurantee.

How did you attach the table?

I think I found why it was brought back.
I had trouble getting it to start & run at full RPM.
So I figured the gas was old but the gas was yellow??
As I was draining it, I notice a smell of diesel. So I drained the carb too.
Smells like a gas/diesel mix ?? Why yellow color of the fuel ?? I don't know but glad I got rid of it.

Table (prototype) is a friction fit with a bungee to hold it in, 3" aluminum angle, 1/2" thick for supports.
Will make a better/tougher one if this is the design that works for me. Wanted one that is easy on/off.

Runs good now, starts first pull. RPM good. Now I need to get some wood to split. Sure runs quiet.
My big helper barks & attacks at any tool that has a running engine, thinks he's a real dog.

Attachments

• 100_4422.jpg
    100_4422.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 100_4421.jpg
    100_4421.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 499
  • 100_4423.jpg
    100_4423.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 488
An important thing with any splitter is that you should be sure to turn the gas off before moving it much, and definitely before towing - otherwise the float will bounce in the carb and let it over-fill which will cause starting issues. Not sure why the gas is yellow, but might be worth running some Sea Foam through on the next fillup.

The table looks nice, but I suspect your supports aren't going to be sturdy enough - I'd say the easiest fix would be to put a prop leg or two on the outboard corners.

(I'd also give vertical splitting a try... )

Gooserider

your big helper is that a rat terrier ?

webie said:
your big helper is that a rat terrier ?
Miniature Pincher, 9 lbs of bad ass, or at least he believes it.

Gooserider said:
An important thing with any splitter is that you should be sure to turn the gas off before moving it much, and definitely before towing - otherwise the float will bounce in the carb and let it over-fill which will cause starting issues. Not sure why the gas is yellow, but might be worth running some Sea Foam through on the next fillup.

The table looks nice, but I suspect your supports aren't going to be sturdy enough - I'd say the easiest fix would be to put a prop leg or two on the outboard corners.

(I'd also give vertical splitting a try... )

Gooserider

Thanks Goose:
Good points, I'll make it a habit to turn the fuel valve "off" after each use.
The yellow fuel, gas & diesel smell makes me think someone added some diesel to the tank, for what ever reason.
I don't think it hurt anything. Happens allot up here, many generators are diesel & rarely
do you see yellow cans or labels on the red fuel jugs. No "sea foam", but got some "sta-bil", will run a tank with it in it.

The table is a test to see where it should be. Holds enough to work with till I figure out what I want. Then build
a stout one & I like the idea of an outboard leg for strength. Can make it bigger with that.

I plan to try the vertical mode. Got some trees to cut so maybe tomorrow. May not be a good time of the year to
test vertical with the snow/slush, but no lifting of rounds has an great appeal to my back.

I did split a nasty birch round that my maul bounce off of several times a week ago. It went slow, but I think the pump is 2 stage
cause the engine didn't bog. From a camp fire chair to firewood pretty easy.
Gotta change my signature from hoping for a splitter to 22T Speeco :)

I got lots of great input form several folks here, read many splitter posts. So with what my options were,
I think I'll be happy with the Speeco. & 22T is allot of power for anything I'll throw in it.

Even "Quads" may get a splitter in 20 years or so when he gets old or breaks his maul handle :) LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.