Got to see a Garn today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
I will not bother posting photo's, plenty have been posted in other threads and there was no real dfference.

I was pretty much sold, I did quiz the owners.

They wish they had put in electrical back-up, something I intend to do.
They were having to fill it every couple of hours. But were using green wood, they had not stocked up, did comment on how much quicker it came up to temperature with dry wood.
They were using Propane forced air as back up, a pre existing system.
They have vertical exhaust, the installer mentioned that this was a new design variant, not as shown in the manuals, it was installed last November.
They had space limitations, we have an old root cellar to rebuild, 16ft x 32ft, which I intend to make into our plant room.

So current plans are:

WHS 2000 with ultimate electric back up.
Backed up/supplememted by Froling (or Windhager if they come to the US) pellet boiler with a hopper.

At a later point I would like to add Solar - evacuated tubes.

This way we should get enough heat to stop the building freezing just using the pellet boiler when we are not around, we will be using Glycol, probably 70/30 for disitibution. We have had minor electricty failures, so need to look at the cost/practicality of propane generator.

The SWMBO came along, she like most I guess is much easier persuaded of the logic by the pro's. She played around with the door, saw no issue loading it, just not regularly.

Durango
Glad to hear you got to see and touch the garn. I need to make the trip to Minn to pick up my garn ws-2000. I didn't buy the electic back up the electic rates around hear are not the best. I will just use our propane furanace for a back up freeze protection. I did buy the horzinal four foot chimmey.

Propane hot ar?

We have 3 of those, none any good, so I was thinking long term I would be better with a pellet?

I will follow you progress, sounds like you are a fe months ahead of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.