Got wood for stove 'n' some for pizza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
My wood guy delivered two cords of locust yesterday.

I mentioned my plans to try a pizza in my new stove, and he added an armload of apple to the last load he delivered. He says the pizza would taste funny if I used my regular firewood, but the apple will do fine.

And I think he said cherry also is good for baking pizza. I have some splits of cherry that I could set aside for pizza nights.

Nancy

I think if you're making pizza in your stove, it's going to be coaled and way past the smoking stage and probably won't matter much what kind of wood you use. Good idea though, locust is way to stinky to take a chance.

Do you prefer Chianti or Cab/savs with your pie? I'll be right over.

Currently drinking a fantastic Carmenere after a big flavor skirt steak and chimichuri sauce with sauted 'spergus and fingerling potate's with blue cheese sauce. (maybe even one too many, but I won't tell, if you don't :cheese: )

Good grief, Jags! I'm a Coors Light girl. Such cosmopolitan taste you've got there...

Nancy

Jags said:

Currently drinking a fantastic Carmenere after a big flavor skirt steak and chimichuri sauce with sauted 'spergus and fingerling potate's with blue cheese sauce. (maybe even one too many, but I won't tell, if you don't :cheese: )

Jags is making good use of his Christmas gift subscriptions to Wine Spectator and Bon Appetit! Cheers!

Jags said:

Mmmmm. I love a good carmenere. We have some good vineyard in Walla Walla that are producing some nice vintages, though they can be pricey.

FWIW, I didn't note any bad taste in our last stove fired pizza with doug fir. The wood is all coals by that point and with no smoke to speak of. But I have some peach and some cherry wood, so this winter I will try some different wood to see if his theory holds up.

I spare no expense when it is on the Company card. :coolsmile:

Been offsite for a few days and over the weekend and into next week. At least I am gonna eat good.

Seems like a shame to use what's some really fine smoking wood for cooking a pizza. As has been noted, you're gonna let the fire get into coaling before you put the pizza in...so the character of the wood is already gone, and it's just a bunch of hot stuff. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.