Gotta love an honest guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newstove

Mar 25, 2009
Central MA
I figured that with all the bad press many firewood sellers get (shorting people, green wood when they say seasoned, etc.) I would post about one of the honest ones.

I had found someone who would deliver unsplit wood mostly already cut to length for $100 per cord. After the first pickup truck load, we realized there was only 1/3 cord after we stacked it up. I had already paid him 1/2, and he was going to drop off the other 1/2 sometime in the next few days.

So I dropped him a quick email, and he says no problem, he'll fix it.

I didn't hear from him for a few days (but I wasn't worried) until today. I got an email in the middle of the day from him saying he just dropped two more loads and there should be a cord there now (I was at work) and I can pay him whenever.

I got home and there it was. And, about half was already cut and split! I had him swing by and paid him (he wouldn't take any extra) thanked him and told him to keep it coming - he was more than happy as he just sells his leftovers of his tree jobs on the side anyway.

So, here's one for all the honest ones out there - they do exist. ;-)

Found an ad on the bulliten board at the local gas station in VT for firewood. I called the number; turns out, the guy lives on our road. He came on time and delivered what I estimate to be a bit over a cord of wood. Said he was clearning some land he and his dad owned and to call him if we needed more. He also offered to plow our driveway this winter for a very reasonable price.

newstove said:
I figured that with all the bad press many firewood sellers get (shorting people, green wood when they say seasoned, etc.) I would post about one of the honest ones.

I had found someone who would deliver unsplit wood mostly already cut to length for $100 per cord. After the first pickup truck load, we realized there was only 1/3 cord after we stacked it up. I had already paid him 1/2, and he was going to drop off the other 1/2 sometime in the next few days.

So I dropped him a quick email, and he says no problem, he'll fix it.
That's great how he made up for the shortage!

However, there is the matter that he shorted you in the first place. Honest mistake? Maybe.

Yup it was an honest mistake - at least I believe it was. He had no idea how much wood his truck held and just assumed it was 1/2 cord since he really doesn't do firewood. He's a tree guy with leftover wood and decided to sell some of it off as firewood.

As soon as I told him he was perfectly happy to make it right and now knows how much his truck holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.