Gotta love Craigslist!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
I did all of my wood cutting this last summer and have all my wood dried and ready for the winter. But always on the prowl for a good deal I was looking for a some free extra wood(can never have enough) or a splitter( The eucalyptus I have was way hard to split by hand ) or whatever else craig has to part with. So I come across this estate sale and they are looking to unload a splitter! I head on down and when I get there there is hardly anything left, including the splitter that they sold the day before for $100.00. :coolgrin: I was a bit dejected until I saw a couple of chainsaw's sitting on the ground I inquired about them and $50 ea. is the asking price. I take a closer look at the larger one and ask the guy if he will take $40. He says no maybe tomorrow. I weighed my frustration coming back tomorrow only to find out it sold to shelling out the asking price of $50. So I bought it...er should say stole it! The reason I say its stolen is the saw is a Homelite Super XL 925 with a 28" bar! and that baby started on the 3rd pull once fuel was added(not bad after sitting for 3yrs) And man does that baby sound throaty, a lot heavier sound than my 18" Craftsman I'll tell you that. The mods may move this post to Gear room but I thought I would post it here as its more about the love of wood burning, saving money and getting a great deal! I'll post pics later of the saw as I bought it then after I clean it up. I can hardly wait to mod the muffler and really see what this baby can do. Only problem is, I will have to wait till next spring when I again go out foraging for wood again.

Congratulations on a great find. I hope it is worth even more than you feel it is worth now! If so, you are set for many, many years.

On that wood though...... How on earth can one cut wood in the summer and say it is all dried and ready for the winter? Maybe some folks will burn wood that way but that certainly is not the ideal. If I cut any wood during the summer of 2010 I would not burn it until the winter of 2011-2012 at the earliest. Time is wood's best friend and summer until winter is not enough time. It is a very rare case indeed where this could be done.

Backwoods Savage said:
Congratulations on a great find. I hope it is worth even more than you feel it is worth now! If so, you are set for many, many years.

On that wood though...... How on earth can one cut wood in the summer and say it is all dried and ready for the winter? Maybe some folks will burn wood that way but that certainly is not the ideal. If I cut any wood during the summer of 2010 I would not burn it until the winter of 2011-2012 at the earliest. Time is wood's best friend and summer until winter is not enough time. It is a very rare case indeed where this could be done.

I agree. And I am in one of those places that it can be done. Arid central california. over 90 degrees in the summer for 3+ months I split some of the eucalyptus last week just to make sure they were in fact ready to burn and the meter read 15-21 % moisture. Seems dry enough form me. Not to mention the Pine that I have that stuff is like 9%.

Good deal... should be great for blocking up big & tough scrounged wood... maybe you won't need that splitter after all!

Not sure about the muffler mod; some of those old Homies were pretty free-flowing from the factory...

Good score...the part I don't get is waiting until next spring to cut more! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.