GPS Navigation System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1949

Aug 12, 2008
ND
Hi All....was wondering if someone could give me advice on what type of GPS would be a wise choice for me. I plan on taking a trip to Florida within the next couple weeks and would like a reliable system that can help me make this trip a little less worrisome. I'm not good at directions and don't know what I should be looking at. Eye sight isn't that great either so voice recognition and sound would be nice. Anyone out there have one or know of what would be a good choice for me. Thanks

Do a search - we had a thread not long back on picking a GPS system - IIRC it was just before Xmas - someone was looking for gift ideas...

Gooserider

i ve used garmin and tom tom. for the mony i like tom tom. ut if money was not a problem id go with garmin ONLY because in NC tom tom goes by secondary road number instead of the road name an you can barely see the number on the signs. As soon as i get out of nc its great. Saved my rear in springfield ill several times.

Get one that talks and uses road names I have a nexstar and it works fine but the updates and detail software are lacking.
The Garmin would be my choice with uprates detail city maps and even out of country maps available to download for maximum use of the GPS.

It's not so great when on a newer road mine announces "you have left the road please make a u turn at the next available spot and return to the road".

Dont want to HY jack the original thread here and I know little to nothing about these . I had some thoughts here and this involves where and how I cut . I have no choice but to cut usualy august -october depending on rain as this is all swamp under 3 feet of water right now so a bunch of my cutting is done leaves on and I am in a very thick area . After the fact of cutting I always find trees That I should have cut when on a hike through this woods . ( 80 acres and I have 40 of it ) .
My question is are there any hand held GPS units that a guy could get relativily reasonable that I could use for marking the spots where I find these trees so the next fall cutting I could go back and locate them again . Is there anything available ? quality ? and cost ?

I just bought a Gamin Nuvi 255W yesterday. Looked at several and am wicked pleased with this one.
it has a 4.3" screen which is pretty big for a mobile unit.

I can't believe how easy it was to hook up and use. Truly, plug and play. I sat in a parking lot, and got it going. Less than 15 minutes to run trough most of the features and get used to it. What amazes me is how accurate it is. I'd say it was dead on, which makes a difference in populated areas.

This unit does talk to you - with the street name (this is important, as some just say you have a turn coming up (200 ft. etc) This says turn right on xxx street in 200 ft. - that way you can verify with a street sign). This unit also warns you well in advance of a turn, that it will be the next thing you have to do - it again tells you 500 ft before the turn, AND it tell you a 3rd time right as you approach the turn. Then it tells you what your next action will be and how far until you reach it. Also, up in the left cornor, is a icon that keeps track of this next turn, shows how many miles until you reach it AND (really nice) shows you and arrow indicating a left or right turn. - this is really nice, so you can get in the proper lane.

This unit isn't as complex as some, but wicked easy to learn and get used to and very, very accurate.

I would recommend it highly - paid $149 at Radio Shack (on-line have seen at #135).

Good luck
Dave

webie said:
Dont want to HY jack the original thread here and I know little to nothing about these . I had some thoughts here and this involves where and how I cut . I have no choice but to cut usualy august -october depending on rain as this is all swamp under 3 feet of water right now so a bunch of my cutting is done leaves on and I am in a very thick area . After the fact of cutting I always find trees That I should have cut when on a hike through this woods . ( 80 acres and I have 40 of it ) .
My question is are there any hand held GPS units that a guy could get relativily reasonable that I could use for marking the spots where I find these trees so the next fall cutting I could go back and locate them again . Is there anything available ? quality ? and cost ?

Webie - If you are not looking for one with a real cool map, any handheld gps's will work for you as most all GPS's allow "waypoints"
Basically, you get to the spot that you want to mark, and then just hit the button on the GPS...and you can usually name the waypoint what you want...such as "large Birch Tree to cut near beaver dam".
Most of them also remember your tracks, so after you go for a hike you can see your exact trail on the way home. (Well, if you have very dense tree cover it might be appx 15-20 feet off or so)
If this is all you are looking for, find a Garmin Etrex used on Craigslist or something..prob only spend $70 if that.
I picked up a Delorme PN 20 (Refurbished) with a ton of topo maps for north america, and it was appx $180 through Cabellas

Davesbehemothwoodcart said:
webie said:

Webie - If you are not looking for one with a real cool map, any handheld gps's will work for you as most all GPS's allow "waypoints"
Basically, you get to the spot that you want to mark, and then just hit the button on the GPS...and you can usually name the waypoint what you want...such as "large Birch Tree to cut near beaver dam".
Most of them also remember your tracks, so after you go for a hike you can see your exact trail on the way home. (Well, if you have very dense tree cover it might be appx 15-20 feet off or so)
If this is all you are looking for, find a Garmin Etrex used on Craigslist or something..prob only spend $70 if that.
I picked up a Delorme PN 20 (Refurbished) with a ton of topo maps for north america, and it was appx $180 through Cabellas

Thanks Dave for the return. I searched the bay for this model along with searching for handheld GPS . Big mistake I think the return was like 2300 of them . Anyways I di a little bit of reading and such and have come up with I like the idea of spending a little more but have it serve all my needs along with traveling and maybe someboating . The most important to me is the hikeing wood makeing and then street travel . Do any of you have good sugestion on a unit for this . I looked at the Delorme PN 20 like you just bought and it looks like it would fit the bill . Is there anything I should be concerned about or look for or any particular sugestions .
Thanks
Webie

Status
Not open for further replies.