Granite vanity countertop material cutting and finishing basin cutouts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjr23

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
Can the DIYer cut the granite counter top material. I've been offered what sounds like pretty decent deals on the material for a 60" two sink vanity. The kicker is the the labor to cut out and drill holes for two basins and $150 per basin. These would be the style to glue on bowls from underneath. Is it possible for a homeowner to cut with a 4-1/2" angle grinder witha Diamond blade and buff out for the bowls? I'm not sure what kind of drill or hole saw (possibly rent) to drill out for faucet valves? Any one got any experience doing this? It would mean having something that looks nice or just using plain ol' premade vinyl laminate cover tops. bjr23

If you want,I'll give ya the # of a marble/granite place here in NC that will tell you the truth.The main problem I think would be polishing the lip where is cut.I'm not sure how you would do it.

Installer have a myriad of very special tools for the job. If you have any curves to cut and polish (oval or round sinks) the task becomes more that most DIY folks can handle.

Not sure what kind of deal you are getting on the granite. Many stone places have remnants that you can get for a very good price, including cut outs and sink install. I bet there are some folks just dying to do a quick little job like that with one of their 'scrap' pieces sitting around doing nothing.

$130 for a 58" piece that needs trim both length ways an width the guy said 2 cm thick. He had other deals also, but the $150 a basiin cutout-cutting and finishing was the deal breaker. I seen a youtube video of guy in his front yard cutting out a pretty decent piece of granite, it didn't look too compicated. Haven't found any otta work stone cutters around here, there's no recession in this part of the world and the contractors get the price they want and ignore the small jobs ($1000 or less). I a limited income person so's I have really count my nickels. bjr23

When we did new sinks and counters last year I bought a pre-hung sink on a piece of granite. I needed to trim about an inch off of both ends. I bought a diamond blade for my circular saw and it was really quite easy. Go slow and do it outdoors as it makes a huge amount of dust. Cutting interior holes will be tougher, but the blade is the key. I'd be more hesitant to try the inside holes vs. trimming the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.