Grass Pellets, Ash, and Burn Pots in M55 and St Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Burner

Dec 29, 2010
Sandhills of NC
Anyone have experience with grass pellets in St Croix stoves?

Considering Enviro M55 or St Croix Lancaster/Greenfield for burning switch or other grass pellets.

Concerned that St Croix will not handle high ash. Cornell Univ grass pellet tests and Pelheat literature really emphasize the critical nature of getting that ash out of the burn pot. Most if not all of the tested stove failures were due to this. But if St. Croix has no stirring (which apparently does well for corn) how can they burn high ash grass pellets? (Also sounds like these stove have lots of nooks and crannies - high ash nightmare?)

St Criox FAQ: Q - Why don’t St. Croix multi-fuel stoves have a stirring mechanism? A - St. Croix multi-fuel stoves burn clean and intense by not stirring the pot. This technology also eliminates mechanical parts that would have to operate in the hottest part of the stove.

Expect that M55 will work well, but it is a really big stove for our house and mild winters. Concerned that it will always be burning too low, glass cleaning....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

St. Croix doesn't mention grass pellets in their recommended fuels so I would think they are not recommended.

Where do you find grass pellets anyway?

10-4 on St Croix not including them in their recommended list. They do include distillers grain pellets, which I am not familiar with. And isn't a multi stove a multi stove (just kidding).

I have seen one current source in the midwest for switchgrass. And of course lots of talk (which I know is hard to burn!) My personal interest is more long term. I actually grow switch and other native grasses for ecological purposes, and may want to play around with pelletizing in the future. I also am hopeful that it could expand regionally as an alternative to less wildlife friendly crops. We manage alot of non-native grasses also, though we are more inclined to kill than grow them!

We like the size and looks of the St Croixes, but would hate to invest in a stove that can't burn grass, should it become a viable option.

The problem with the grass fuels and standard burnpot is the silica left over from the burn process. With out a self cleaning burnpot, Its bound to clog. What is left over is silica pebbles and very hard grainy ash.

The latest model of the St Croix Lincoln is supposed to have the same burnpot as the Revolution. Although not rated for grass, The Revolutions self cleaning feature should be able handle the grass pellet. But if they aren't recommending them, It would also void the warranty if you did burn them.

So with the warranty issue, I'd say you would be better off with the M55 as it is rated for grass pellets. Also on the M55 there are 3 burn modes to choose from. You would burn the grass in the multifuel mode and about every half hour of running it goes thru a self clean cycle. The stove goes to low and helps burn out any unburned fuel while spinning the agitator in the burnpot to rid it of the ash. This will lower the actual BTU output of the stove quite a bit. I burned the grass pellet in pellet mode and didn't have any issues with it burning poorly. Good if you need the extra BTU output. Plus the fact that the BTU rating for grass is a bit less than wood pellets. Having some extra BTU to play with is a good thing. The Enviro's don't have any problem idling along on low. Mine spends most of the day just idling in the cold to preserve my igniter. I still only clean my stove once a week. I go from Sunday to Sunday without opening the door.

Also don't forget your vent pipe has to be approved for the multifuels you going to burn.

Have you checked out the grass thread here that imacman started? Lots of good info on the grass fuel.

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
Have you checked out the grass thread here that imacman started? Lots of good info on the grass fuel.

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50637/

Pete, I had to go back and check that thread out again. It sure was fun doing all that. We gotta get some different feed stock an take a few more swings at it. I really want to try the Bamboo pellets. Did that guy ever come thru for you on the samples?

Wonder how DJ is doing?

Burn grass not gas! :)

Here's Pete and Jay checking out some 'raw materials'...

cheech-and-chong.gif

Jay, I TOLD you not to send that pic to Krooser......and get that rag off yer noggin!

Sorry, had a hippy moment! :) Doo-rag gone, Got a hair cut and a shave. Just can't fix the ugly part! ;-P

NCBurner, Keep us posted on your decision and How things go for you. Post a picture when you get it installed. We like pictures! :)

j-takeman said:
Sorry, had a hippy moment! :) Doo-rag gone, Got a hair cut and a shave. Just can't fix the ugly part! ;-P

NCBurner, Keep us posted on your decision and How things go for you. Post a picture when you get it installed. We like pictures! :)

I think the DEA would like these pictures, too!

OOOPS...wrong forum....

transvestite.gif

For the concerns that the Greenfield cannot handle ash in the pot.

There is an ash rod that you manually pull out and allow ash to drop into bottom tray for storage.
I never used it burning corn ..I just cleaned out every day at end of burn cycle.
During the price hike I switched to pellet/corn mix and now to all pellet.

Burning pellets I empty the burn pot by using the rod about every 6 hours.
You just pull the rod out about 1/2 way with pliers..since it heats up..ram close and repeat a couple of times...keeping some lit material in the pot..
Works well and I didn't switch burning pots..

The Harman PC45 is supposed to be the best stove to burn grass pellets in.

NC Burner said:

Considering Enviro M55 or St Croix Lancaster/Greenfield for burning switch or other grass pellets.

Concerned that St Croix will not handle high ash. Cornell Univ grass pellet tests and Pelheat literature really emphasize the critical nature of getting that ash out of the burn pot. Most if not all of the tested stove failures were due to this. But if St. Croix has no stirring (which apparently does well for corn) how can they burn high ash grass pellets? (Also sounds like these stove have lots of nooks and crannies - high ash nightmare?)

St Criox FAQ: Q - Why don’t St. Croix multi-fuel stoves have a stirring mechanism? A - St. Croix multi-fuel stoves burn clean and intense by not stirring the pot. This technology also eliminates mechanical parts that would have to operate in the hottest part of the stove.

Expect that M55 will work well, but it is a really big stove for our house and mild winters. Concerned that it will always be burning too low, glass cleaning....

thanks

While at Farm Days in upstate NY, Cornell Univ did state the "Only" stove that could handle the ash from the grass pellets is the Harman Pellet stove. When asked which mode,l the reply was any model because of the feeder system. I have seen the grass pellets burn and because of the feeder system of the harman stove, it did out perform most stoves. The PC 45 did burn better because of the sirring rod.

msmith66 said:
NC Burner said:

thanks

While at Farm Days in upstate NY, Cornell Univ did state the "Only" stove that could handle the ash from the grass pellets is the Harman Pellet stove. When asked which mode,l the reply was any model because of the feeder system. I have seen the grass pellets burn and because of the feeder system of the harman stove, it did out perform most stoves. The PC 45 did burn better because of the sirring rod.

Cornell Univ must not have seen the other multifuelers out there because I can burn them, so can imacman and schoondog. DJ has just got a Quad MT Vernon and he is burning his homegrow Timothy grass pellets(same grass pellet we all burned). So there are several stoves that can handle the higher ash content. Unless they meant standard pellet stove. And there are a few other bottom feeding standard stoves out there that might give them a good run for that matter.

If I rememebr right I think that one of the US stoves with the pot stirring mechanism was the runner up.

Status
Not open for further replies.