Grease or oil for bar tip?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
Back when I got my first Stihl, the bar had a hole in the tip and the dealer sold me a small greasing tool that you placed in the hole and pushed down and this pumped a small amount of grease into the sprocket. The next bar I got didn’t have the hole so I didn’t worry about it. I just got a new bar/chain combo from Baileys and the bar has a lubrication hole in the tip. The picture (no words) on the back of the bar packaging shows what looks an oil can and one of my friends said he thought you were supposed to use oil.
So grease or oil?

i spray mine down with penatrating oil to clean it out, then use a little bit of white lithium grease..

loon

If the oiler on the machine is set properly you shouldn't have to do anything. That is why many of the bars don't have grease ports anymore, or are "permanently" greased. One thing that IS recommended though, is that if you DO decide to grease it, continue to do so. The grease will have a tendency to hold on to small particles, so continue to grease to push out the junk (I think, was the logic).

It used to be that none came with that hole. I get bars both ways and have never had a problem with either.

Jags said:
If the oiler on the machine is set properly you shouldn't have to do anything. That is why many of the bars don't have grease ports anymore, or are "permanently" greased. One thing that IS recommended though, is that if you DO decide to grease it, continue to do so. The grease will have a tendency to hold on to small particles, so continue to grease to push out the junk (I think, was the logic).

Jags is correct, as usual. If you've started greasing, you need to continue but there is no need to use grease, even if your bar has a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.