Great News Regarding Too-Tight Gas Caps on Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
Or at least on my chainsaw. I have an 18", 42-cc Craftsman chainsaw that's about 8 years old. (Pause here for derogatory comments about Craftsman, Poulan, etc., chainsaws). After the first year or so, it became increasingly difficult to remove and replace the gas cap. I eventually resorted to using pliers. Then I read on this website that some believed it might be due to the ethanol added to most gasoline and that "perhaps" letting the caps dry out for a while would shrink them to their original size.

Well, about a year ago I replaced the original gas cap with a new one. Instead of discarding the old one, however, I set it on the shelf. A few days ago, I took it out to try on the chainsaw (because the new one was getting difficult to use). Lo and behold, the old one went on easy-squeezee, just like new!

Lesson learned: have two gas caps and alternate them. (What I don't know is the minimum time it takes for one to dry out and shrink; mine sat for a year).

The information I get on this site is priceless. I never would have guessed that would happen. If some one I know has that problem I'll have the answer they will think that I am really smart.

The seasoning time on gascaps all depends on the brand of saw being used. I'm just sayin....... :coolgrin:

But my hard to turn cap is my oil cap, not my gas cap! So what's up with that?

Oak caps take forever to dry out.

bpirger said:
But my hard to turn cap is my oil cap, not my gas cap! So what's up with that?

You put it on to tight :lol: LOL
Have a small paint brush in the saw tool box, (or on a string attached to the jug) brush off the wood chips before you take the caps off to fill up.
Helps keep any chips from falling in the tanks & keeps the threads clean.

Yep it is the ethanol. When these saws were made corn liquor was only moonshine. Not a gas additive. I have a second cap inbound that I bought on eBay yesterday so I can rotate putting my caps on the 405+ into rehab to dry out.

I'll have to ad gas caps as another reason I burn Avgas in my saws. I've never experienced the stuck cap sindrome on my saws but I have on others.

I'll buy a cap every five years rather than run out to the airport to buy my gas. Of course you just bring it home from work with ya. :cheese:

oldspark said:
I sure am glad they dont make us buy that crap here.

But that is where the damn corn comes from!!

BrotherBart said:
I'll buy a cap every five years rather than run out to the airport to buy my gas. Of course you just bring it home from work with ya. :cheese:
Well I wouldn'd either if that were the only benefit. I just addded that to my long list of reasons. One trip to the airport with a couple 5 gallon cans and most people would be good for a year or more. And since it keeps for who knows how long (I've got some over 3 yrs old) it might actually save a trip or 2 somewhere. But yes you are right it is very convienent for me. That and Jet A for the tractor.

DanCorcoran said:
Or at least on my chainsaw. I have an 18", 42-cc Craftsman chainsaw that's about 8 years old. (Pause here for derogatory comments about Craftsman, Poulan, etc., chainsaws). After the first year or so, it became increasingly difficult to remove and replace the gas cap. I eventually resorted to using pliers.

Had that exact same saw for about 15 years of faithful service. Also had the exact same issue with the gas cap, b&c oiler cap did the same thing so I'm pretty skeptical it has anything to do wiht ethanol.

For what its worth, the gas cap on that saw is specifically designed so that the shaft of the scrench can be inserted between the two lobes on the cap and you can turn it very easily with the extra 6" of leverage. Pliers not required and you won't mess up the gas cap that way.

7300830.jpg

Joey said:
The seasoning time on gascaps all depends on the brand of saw being used. I'm just sayin....... :coolgrin:
cygnus said:
Oak caps take forever to dry out.

Hey do you guys stack your caps in single rows, top-covered or just throw 'em all in a corner pile like me? %-P :snake:

I have never burned anything other than Ethanol Free gas in my Stihl Chainsaws and I've never had a single problem with gas caps, fuel lines, or any other plastic or rubberized part becoming brittle, swelling, breaking, or clogging.

All I know is that this will be cap number three for the 405+ and the original 20 year old oil cap spins off without a problem. The first gas cap finally got so bad that it took channel locks to get it off and it ripped the threads off coming out.

mayhem said:
DanCorcoran said:
Or at least on my chainsaw. I have an 18", 42-cc Craftsman chainsaw that's about 8 years old. (Pause here for derogatory comments about Craftsman, Poulan, etc., chainsaws). After the first year or so, it became increasingly difficult to remove and replace the gas cap. I eventually resorted to using pliers.

Had that exact same saw for about 15 years of faithful service. Also had the exact same issue with the gas cap, b&c oiler cap did the same thing so I'm pretty skeptical it has anything to do wiht ethanol.

For what its worth, the gas cap on that saw is specifically designed so that the shaft of the scrench can be inserted between the two lobes on the cap and you can turn it very easily with the extra 6" of leverage. Pliers not required and you won't mess up the gas cap that way.

7300830.jpg

I'm aware that the cap can be removed with the "scrench", but unfortunately it can't be installed that way, hence the pliers. (But now I just use my fingers, because the new "old" cap fits just fine).

Last summer I heard or read somewhere that if you put the plastic gas caps that had expanded due to ethanol, out in the sun for a day it will shrink them. Thought, sure urban myth, tried it. Damn if it didn't work.

DanCorcoran said:
mayhem said:
I'm aware that the cap can be removed with the "scrench", but unfortunately it can't be installed that way, hence the pliers. (But now I just use my fingers, because the new "old" cap fits just fine).

Wait, you have trouble putting your cap back on too? I guess I missed that part...I've never experienced that with any of my saws. They all are always on the ahrd side to remove the caps by hand but I have never had an issue screwing the cap back on.

mayhem said:
Wait, you have trouble putting your cap back on too? I guess I missed that part...I've never experienced that with any of my saws. They all are always on the ahrd side to remove the caps by hand but I have never had an issue screwing the cap back on.

The ethanol makes the cap swell and become physically too tight to screw into or out of the tank. It's not merely a case of an overtightened or vacuum-locked cap.

MasterMech: correct.

The ethanol makes the cap swell and become physically too tight to screw into or out of the tank. It’s not merely a case of an overtightened or vacuum-locked cap.

The cap itself swells up? Not the seals but the actual plastic of the cap?

Weird. I can't get anything other than E10 here, been that way for almost as long as we've been unable to get leaded gas. How come I've never run into this before?

Funny, I have the same exact saw as the OP, and run into the same issues with both the gas cap and the oil fill cap. Actually, the oil fill is the really bothersome one, but know I know what to use the scrench for :)

Yes, my oil fill cap has the same problem. I just haven't bothered buying a new one...I use pliers on it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.