Great Weather, New Wood Cart and Moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2009
Oregon
Thanks to those on this site I "suggested" the moisture meter as a xmas gift and have been having fun with it since.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-mini-moisture-meter-67143.html I recommend it highly and feel like I've gotten almost as good as the the carnival guy guessing your weight.

So with the great weather we've been having.... it's not often we in the NW can say that this time of year, and sorry to all you folks back east, I thought I would make a little wood cart and see what effects the recent sun has. I built the cart using the $3. wheels from Harbor Freight, some 5/8" rod, and some scrap plywood. Holds 1/4 cord + as pictured.

Generally our wood doesn't seem to season much this time of year this time of year and the kids accidentally loaded some wood from the "not quite dry" stack. Since the last three days have been clear and dry, (I don't mean to rub that in %-P ) I rolled out my cart of splits that measured between 18-24%. Within 2 hours, the ends facing the sun had dropped between 3-5%. The ends in the shade were still within 1% of their original MC. so I spun the cart around and within an hour that side dropped 3-5%. Now I know the whole piece didn't drop to that level but if the moisture can get out of the ends then the moisture in the middle has a steeper gradient and will dry quicker. Anyway, after 3 days, (about 6 hours each day) MC values average about 13% and I can't get any measurement above 15% and it's easy to see the difference in how they burn in the stove. I just thought it interesting to pass on. My feeling is that the wood heats up in the sun helping to lower the EMC at the wood/air interface as well as adding some energy making it dry faster. At night I roll it into the garage as it's about 30 °F warmer than outside and according to the EMC calculator here: http://www.dpcalc.org/ that drops my EMC from 18.5 to 7.2 which means a whole lot more drying time every day at a lot faster rate.

I think ultimately I'll build a green house style of woodshed, closed up w/ South glazing and as long as a little air circulation, the sun heating the wood, the increased temperature and lower RH inside will dry my wood lots faster than leaving it an open sided shed during our long wet winters. I know that goes against a lot of postings on this site, but I'll try to prove it when I can.

Hate to see this good weather leave tonight but hope it makes its way east to give you guys a break :)

Attachments

• DSC_4658.jpg
    DSC_4658.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 452
Very cool cart,
Sounds as if it's working out well.
How do you steer it?

The middle axle is mounted on an extra piece of 3/4" plywood so it is a bit lower than the other two. As long as the cart is roughly balanced, you can pivot it around the center axle.
I think Home depot has wood carts with the same idea.

skyline said:
The middle axle is mounted on an extra piece of 3/4" plywood so it is a bit lower than the other two. As long as the cart is roughly balanced, you can pivot it around the center axle.
I think Home depot has wood carts with the same idea.

Good design ;)

Looking good - you should have posted that photo for the other post looking for photos of big splits - you've got some honkers! Cheers!

I'm still up in the air about the cart . . . but I LUV the view! Say, um, how do people make a living there? Any land for sale inexpensively?

DeadBTU's

Sorry, I was away for a while. Yeah the cart doesn't hold much in comparison to the view. I'll include a teaser. We're really lucky to have found this place. It didn't have any view at all if you can believe it, but it's amazing how pretty a chainsaw can make things. It's been almost 10 years since we cut and the trees are growing about 3-4' per year so we'll enjoy it while we can.

As far as making a living around here, it can be tough if you not in the high tech (Intel), Solar related or government. While the timber industry used to be our backbone, it has taken such a beating that along with housing, land is probably more affordable now than in any time in the last 10 years. The housing market lags around here compared to the rest of the country so while some are recovering they expect things to drop a little more before recovery. But Intel is starting an 8 Billion (with a B) project which is supposed to be complete by next year and some expect that to revive Oregon's economy all by itself. If you're thinking of relocating or just want to visit, come on over, our grass is still green, it doesn't die in the winter and we haven't seen much white stuff this year!

Cheers,

Attachments

• DSC_1803.jpg
    DSC_1803.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 252
Status
Not open for further replies.