Green hedge/Osage orange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK1950

Oct 13, 2011
Wichita, KS
Hey everyone,

I have a question about burning green hedge wood, I am new to a wood stove and just got a cord of hedge and it is not seasoned. I've read a couple places that green hedge burns the same as seasoned. Is it ok to burn green hedge? Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,
Cliff

No it doesnt, but seasons very fast.

That is my all time favorate firewood. Osage Orange or OO is better than oak. I wouldn't turn down oak but if I had a choice in which to go after OO is where I would go.

I've never burned Hedge, but I would try to find some dead standing trees, preferably with the smaller branches and/or the bark fallen off, for burning this Winter. It may well be ready to burn or close to it, especially if it's not Oak. Let the Hedge dry properly and enjoy its full potential next season. It's no fun trying to burn wet wood...

I've heard that too. I'd error on the safer of the two side. Let it season and then burn it.

smokinjay said:
No it doesnt, but seasons very fast.

I'm with Jay on this one. Don't do it in an EPA stove. It is a low moisture wood and will season pretty fast, but don't burn it green. Just one dudes opinion.

Never burned hedge but I know it is the holy grail of firewood, I would not burn it green, maybe because it's rare where I live but I wouldn't want to waste it by burning it green, I know it supposedly seasons fast but I'm willing to bet you wont see that great heating potential if u burn it green. To quote my grandpop. " you don't make sausage outta backstraps"

I would process it fairly soon though as OO can get mighty hard with age. I know people with 50yr old fence posts made from OO. Its pretty common around here, mostly in fence rows. Yes it is the holy grail.

Status
Not open for further replies.