Green vs Wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumster

Dec 8, 2011
Western MA
Is one better to burn than the other? What % moisture is green wood. Both suck I know. But what would you rather have?

Green is a term used to describe wood that is fresh cut from a live tree. Green wood is usually wet wood. Moisture content of green wood varies greatly by species. I'll burn "wet" seasoned wood over green anyday. I've taken splits off the stack that are saoked from a rain storm and tossed them on an established fire. They burn just fine. Just don't try starting a fire with rain soaked wood.

My splits that have been rained on just have water on the surface. They're dry inside if you split 'em. That bit of water evaporates quickly in the stove and creates little effect if any. Of course I prefer dry seasoned wood but since I top cover my stacks with tarps, I'm bound to get a couple wet ones here and there.

Green wood is problem wood and yes, usually makes lots of creosote.

Mumster said:
Is one better to burn than the other? What % moisture is green wood. Both suck I know. But what would you rather have?

Really, is this a trick question? There are skids out there you can bust up. And you can plan ahead for the future, making much better use of the wood.

With green wood the moisture seems to be inside the cells of the wood and very hard to remove. If seasoned wood gets wet the wood is on the outside of the cells or maybe in between - in either case it is a lot easier to remove, and it takes a lot of soaking to make dry seasoned wood as high in moisture as green wood. I'll take wet over green.

Mumster said:

I honestly don't like either of them as they both rob your stove of btu's if you try to burn them but wet wood will dry back out much quicker than you can season most types of wood so in my opinion wet wood is the lesser of two evil's

Try and think of it like cement.

Fresh wet cement like a just poured sidewalk -> is not ready. Try and walk on it and you're gonna sink. Too much moisture to get out of it. (Green wood)

Compared to a wet sidewalk from rain but the cement is cured seasoned, dries out just fine. You're good to go. (Wet seasoned wood).

Green wood = unseasoned wood = creosote = bad.

Wet wood = seasoned or unseasoend wood that is damp from snow, rain, ice, etc. = could be bad or just temporarily not good.

"Green vs Wet"

I prefer dry well seasoned wood over all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.