Greene Team....UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I went back to Lowes and bought 2 tons for the "stash". Used the moving coupon too. $219/ton. Not the best price, but not the worst either, and they are burning great. MUCH less ash than the Lig's I had been burning. Will be getting them Tuesday.

Already working on next winter. ;-)

imacman said:
I went back to Lowes and bought 2 tons for the "stash". Used the moving coupon too. $219/ton. Not the best price, but not the worst either, and they are burning great. MUCH less ash than the Lig's I had been burning. Will be getting them Tuesday.

That's not a bad price at all. Some lowes around here are charging 280 a ton. I grabbed half a ton while down in CT. I agree, burning good.

imacman said:

Lowe's is selling them for $275/ton up here in Maine. They justified it by telling the stores that the Platinums are a better pellet, even though Robbie says all their products are the same. I see all the low prices posted on here that people are paying and its killing me!!!

Nice haul pete. GT's are hard to snag my way. Best pellet Lowes has in my area when they got them. About the only one I'll choose over them is Somerset, But they never get them either. I hoping Lowes will get some GT's soon, so I can add a ton to the pile.

j-takeman said:
Nice haul pete. GT's are hard to snag my way. Best pellet Lowes has in my area when they got them. About the only one I'll choose over them is Somerset, But they never get them either. I hoping Lowes will get some GT's soon, so I can add a ton to the pile.

Come and gone in SE CT.
But I got some. ;-)

1D

1Dtml said:
j-takeman said:

Come and gone in SE CT.
But I got some. ;-)

1D

Torrington had 22 tons delivered. By weeks end all they had was an open pallet in the store. Maybe 20 bags left. Plenty of North Americans though!

j-takeman said:
1Dtml said:
j-takeman said:

Come and gone in SE CT.
But I got some. ;-)

1D

Torrington had 22 tons delivered. By weeks end all they had was an open pallet in the store. Maybe 20 bags left. Plenty of North Americans though!

Yuph, I went back early this week and Lowes was out of GT, so I did pick up some NA, and they indicated this was the last batch this season.

I also got some AWF at Home Depot, but other Home Depots were already out of pellets for the year, or so they say.

I hit TSC for some MWP, but alas they only had GS left, so I took a pass.

Trying to stock up for next season, for I'm paranoid because of other inflation now and in the near future. As gasoline goes so does inflation :eek:hh:

1D

oldmountvernon said:
have you tired green supreme imac? curious how they par against green team and ya thats a good price they took quite a jump this year it appears

I've read a little on the forum about the GS, but I'm not going that route...they are just re-named NEWP's....and I've had enough of their poor pellets. Lowes had a few tons of those too, and a few of the crappy North American (Curran) hardwoods left.

These GT's seem VERY nice, and so far, the ash level is WAY down compared to the Lig. hardwoods. One of these days, after a stove cleaning, I'm going to finally burn some of the Lig's Hardwood/Conifer blend and see if the ash level changes any.

j-takeman said:
....About the only one I'll choose over them is Somerset, But they never get them either......

Yep, have never seen the Somersets again after that one time they had them in the fall of '10....they are a NICE pellet.

GTs were the best pellets I burned this year. I've burned them every year for the past 4 or 5 and they are consistently good. I've not had a bad bag. Somersets are indeed better. I managed to get some during their ghost appearance during '10 and haven't seen them since or before for that matter. I would by either of these two brands over any stove shop 'boutique' brands that I have tried and that's a bunch over the past years. YMMV etc.

oldmountvernon said:
true imac had a brain fart for a second almost forgot they were newp just called lowes for the hell of it $275 per ton here for GT ill pass

OMV, Don't you have enough yet?

imacman said:

ORANGEBURG ny lowes has them for 197.00 use your moving discount and bonus

petemal said:
ORANGEBURG ny lowes has them for 197.00 use your moving discount and bonus

That's a VERY good price for the GT's....I'd load-up on them if I were you.

I like the GT's. My local Lowes is at 285 a ton! 219 gives me a case of Pellet envy

subsailor said:
imacman said:

I see all the low prices posted on here that people are paying and its killing me!!!

Same here...... :-/

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
true imac had a brain fart for a second almost forgot they were newp just called lowes for the hell of it $275 per ton here for GT ill pass

OMV, Don't you have enough yet?

come on J ...

OMV is Down With The Sickness.... way cool !! :coolsmile:

Glad to see the GT's being that good this year. I might be able to get some around 220 and need more shoulder stuff.

stellep said:
GTs were the best pellets I burned this year. I've burned them every year for the past 4 or 5 and they are consistently good. I've not had a bad bag. Somersets are indeed better. I managed to get some during their ghost appearance during '10 and haven't seen them since or before for that matter. I would by either of these two brands over any stove shop 'boutique' brands that I have tried and that's a bunch over the past years. YMMV etc.

I hauled 2+ tons of the Somersets last year from Lowes in CT and they are/were the bomb. Good news is I have yet to burn a bag this year! All shoulder stuff. Went through 2.5 tons of Fireside Supreme and they were surprisingly good. A bit extra ash but the heat was fine during this mild winter. Maybe burned another 20 bags of some two year old Barefoots on the few very cold days.

Just scored two tons of GT in CT. February has proven to be the best time for me to pick up pellets! Hauled those 2 tons too. $219 and no complaints. I agree with a previous post that pellets will be more expensive with transportation costs next year and inflation will bite us all in the ash! Right now, I am all set for next year. If I find anything cheap, I will wrap it tarps and store outside. Did that with 2009 Barefoots and they burned PERFECT! Keep the manufacturers outer cover on an get a nice big cheap tarp from Ocean State Job lot and wrap it tight!

I am envious of all you that can just go buy a bunch of tons.

We have the storage space but not the money.

so 1 ton a month for us to stock up for next winter.

bbfarm said:
....so 1 ton a month for us to stock up for next winter.

Don't worry....1 ton/month will do you just fine. And the spring buys haven't started yet. My guess is that with this mild winter, many pellet dealers will have some excess stock.....might be some good deals to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.