Greene Team wants my phone number - UPDATED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I sent Robbie Galis at Greene Team an e-mail asking who set the pricing on their pellets, GT or Lowes, because some people were able to buy their pellets at $219 and in Maine it's $275? I received a reply today that was also sent to Andy Galis and a Michael@greeneteam. It was short and sweet: "Can you provide your phone number?" I don't know if this is good or bad!

UPDATE:

I did talk to Robbie Galis, and the conversation went pretty much like I expected. He assured me that Lowes sets the pricing on their pellets, not Greene Team. What’s interesting is this price increase occurred when Lowes started selling the Platinum pellets. In fact, for a brief period they had the regular Greene Team they were selling for $219 and Platinum’s they were selling for $275. They told me Greene Team said they were a much better pellet. He also attributed the price disparity between regions to higher freight costs. While some of this is accurate, it doesn’t cost an additional $50/ton to ship to Maine vs NYC area. So basically it was just a PR call on his part. I did tell him that most people on this site won’t pay $275/ton for his product.

I already sent it. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Bet ya won the Nigerian lottery for a gazillion dollars, and you get free oil for life

j-takeman said:
I send it along, Maybe they have an inside deal for you!

No guts no glory!!!! ;-)
a true pig, always looking for the inside track...lol

hossthehermit said:
Bet ya won the Nigerian lottery for a gazillion dollars, and you get free oil for life

As long as I send a $50000 processing fee.

maybe he doesnt want to put what he has to say in writing.......

Salty said:

That's what I'm thinking.

Salty said:
i agree also, some dealers might not like that

Maybe he wants to ask you to a date :cheese:

I emailed the Lowes's Corporate Office in Jan. to complain of the price gouging at the local Bangor, Me. Lowe's and essentially got no-where with them. I got their typical canned format letter back stating that they are " competitive " and do " price match " other competitor's prices... I spent my money at Home Depot and TSC rather than Lowes. Lowes isn't going to get any of my hard earned money if they won't even come close to the other retailers.
I can buy equal quality pellets at a few of my local pellet suppliers and have been doing that. Maybe if Lowes monitors this forum they'll get the message... I really like Green Team pellets and consider them one of the best and I'll buy them again next year. Maybe they'll find some other retail stores and local retailers to market their pellets rather than Lowes.

lorne41 said:
I emailed the Lowes's Corporate Office in Jan. to complain of the price gouging at the local Bangor, Me. Lowe's and essentially got no-where with them. I got their typical canned format letter back stating that they are " competitive " and do " price match " other competitor's prices... I spent my money at Home Depot and TSC rather than Lowes. Lowes isn't going to get any of my hard earned money if they won't even come close to the other retailers.
I can buy equal quality pellets at a few of my local pellet suppliers and have been doing that. Maybe if Lowes monitors this forum they'll get the message... I really like Green Team pellets and consider them one of the best and I'll buy them again next year. Maybe they'll find some other retail stores and local retailers to market their pellets rather than Lowes.

There is such a disaprity by location. Where I am Lowes and TSC are in the $199-$217 for pretty decent pellets, and HD is $279 for crappy Fireside Ultras.

I would expect local market and shipping costs all play into this.
Kinda how there are several gas stations in town here... "Town" is maybe 1.5-2 miles long. There is usually somthing around a $0.15-0.20 per gallon difference from the cheaper place to the more expensive. The more expensive place has been like that for years. YET still it's usually pretty busy. I never did figure that one out!

Up in Northern Maine rice coal is all the rage now. My Dad put in a coal burner in this summer, and I think at this point half the town has put one in or is planning to. I'm sure you know how fast word spreads in a small town. (They live in Van Buren if you ever heard of it)

So far seems to be about a ton of coal = a cord of wood, so a bit better than pellets. The coal is sold in bulk or in bags just like pellets.

I did talk to Robbie Galis, and the conversation went pretty much like I expected. He assured me that Lowes sets the pricing on their pellets, not Greene Team. What's interesting is this price increase occurred when Lowes started selling the Platinum pellets. In fact, for a brief period they had the regular Greene Team they were selling for $219 and Platinum's they were selling for $275. They told me Greene Team said they were a much better pellet. He also attributed the price disparity between regions to higher freight costs. While some of this is accurate, it doesn't cost an additional $50/ton to ship to Maine vs NYC area. So basically it was just a PR call on his point. I did tell him that most people on this site won't pay $275/ton for his product.

He blew it off. Like he know's there are enough stupid people around that will pay the price and Lowe's can probably handle all their capacity, so it doesn't matter.

SXIPro said:
lorne41 said:

There is such a disaprity by location. Where I am Lowes and TSC are in the $199-$217 for pretty decent pellets, and HD is $279 for crappy Fireside Ultras.

It's basically what the market will support this late in the season. My local HD and TSC both have pellets at or around $219.95 a ton. I'm still pissed at Lowes attitude so I haven't even checked them lately. Most if not all of the local Big Box stores will be selling their existing stock in the next few weeks and moving the Spring and Summer stuff in so we might find a few deals. Some of our local smaller pellet suppliers will just keep their stock and wait for next Fall to sell them. I have 2 tons left so I think I'm all set but I'm always looking for more pellets, like the other forum members all say, " you can never have enough pellets" ! LOL

Attachments

• smiling-pig-clipart.jpg
    smiling-pig-clipart.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 470
What really sucks is we're sitting here in Maine with a very large forest resource, and at least 4 pellet mills and none, with the possible exception of MWP, make a high quality product. Corinth complains they are only running at half capacity. The last time I burned them they were garbage. Northeast in Ashland sells for around $265/ton in Augusta, which is more that I'll pay. The last bag of Maine Choice I opened was half sawdust. Very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.