Greenhouse Window Glazing Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intc97

Apr 24, 2008
Churubusco, NY
I was just given several older 4' by 6' double insulated windows. With the two panes of glass and the air space, they are about one inch thick. I have enough to build a greenhouse. I was thinking of making it a pit type. I live in a very cold climate and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a glazing system that would protect the glass from the movement of the structure due to temperature change. I saw a few aluminum systems online but the cost was $2.00 per foot which is way two high. I plan on using white cedar lumber to resist rotting. Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks

Moved to the DIY area, with a link left to the Green room - both areas are reasonably apropriate, but I think the DIY area will get a better response...

Gooserider

Install the windows the same way you would into the wall of a house.

I'm probably not picturing what you've got for materials right, though.

I built a small 'pit' greenhouse against a barn years ago from cedar and single pane glass. The lites of glass were just placed in the routed out channels with strips of wood and overlapped about an inch. no glazing at all. about a eith inch on each side of the 16 inch wide lites for expansion.

100 percent silicone will seal them up and act as an adhesive to a point.,..

Status
Not open for further replies.