GreenWay pellet review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

I'm in the process of test burning 2 bags of GreenWay pellets I got from Lowe's last weekend. Their made by Hassell & Hughes in Tenn., and are listed as 100% hardwood. The color is very light, like oak.

They have a nice, clean, wood smell......I'd say they are mostly, if not all, oak. The fines I found after running through the pellet cleaner was a very acceptable 1/4 cup. Remember, I guestimate that probably about the same amount goes into the vacuum, and I do this the same way w/ all the pellets I "test".

One nice thing I did notice in the fines was a lack of any clumps, chunks, splinters, or stringy wood fibers that I've found in previous pellets......these had virtually none!

I have read in other posts that these had very long pellets, but my experience after looking at 2 bags, was that the average pellet was from 1/4" - 3/4", with the occasional 1"or 1 1/4" ones.

As for burning, they have good heat output, acceptable ash, and don't dirty the glass any more (and maybe less), than other pellets.

All in all, if I were in the market for pellets, and could get these with the quantity deal that Lowes has again, I'd buy them in a heartbeat!!

we don't seem to have much choice in pellets here . I can go to Rona and get Winnipeg forest products for $5.49 a bag .Or I can go to Canadian Tire and get Winnipeg forest products for $6.99 a bag . They are premium grade and seem to burn all right but I have nothing to compare them with . I think I will go to the plant and see what they are putting in to them .

Macman, I was just out to diner last night in Newburgh on 300, at the Friday's. As you know that restaurant is in the same plaza as the Lowes, so right after diner we leisurely ventured over to Lowes and I picked up 15 bags of those Greenways. I burnt one bag last night and I was pleasantly surprised on how little fines they had. My buddy highly recommended those.

KatWill said:
Macman, I was just out to diner last night in Newburgh on 300, at the Friday's. As you know that restaurant is in the same plaza as the Lowes, so right after diner we leisurely ventured over to Lowes and I picked up 15 bags of those Greenways. I burnt one bag last night and I was pleasantly surprised on how little fines they had. My buddy highly recommended those.

You were about 1 1/2 miles from my house.

Glad you liked the Greenways too....I was also pleasantly surprised by them, after hearing bad things in the past. With the exception of the awful Infernos and ACP, it pays to try a few bags of a "new" pellet. Hope they have them again next year, as I'd buy them by the ton no problem.

Jay, I think you'll like them. Take a nice smell of them in your hands...great wood smell....I love it!

My dealer is carrying Henry County (out of TN) pellets right now @ $200.00/ton...100% oak... I really like the Uncle Jed's that I'm burning but I'm going to buy a couple bags just to try 'em.

macman said:
KatWill said:

You were about 1 1/2 miles from my house.

Glad you liked the Greenways too....I was also pleasantly surprised by them, after hearing bad things in the past. With the exception of the awful Infernos and ACP, it pays to try a few bags of a "new" pellet. Hope they have them again next year, as I'd buy them by the ton no problem.

Jay, I think you'll like them. Take a nice smell of them in your hands...great wood smell....I love it!

Macman,

Next time come and join us. Try that new stake house on 300 called LongHorns, they are pretty good. An ofcourse after that run into Lowes and get you some Pellets. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.