Greenwood insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cm67

Jun 4, 2009
Southeast CT
Found out Greenwood is out of business today when tried to contact them about some issues with my year and a half old Greenwood 100. Of course I couldn't actually talk to any one at the Greenwood number so I contacted the dealer who sold me the unit and he told me the company had gone out of business and my 20/10/1 year warantee was worthless. My issues with the Greenwood have been pretty much the same as others have mentioned, from the refractory cracking top to bottom in the first month, to build up of creosote on the inaccessible parts of the heat tubes, and the bottom edges and sides rotting out . Now the air intake tubes have broken away from the damper. The dealer told me I should remove a side skin (which is tack welded on) of the boiler to make replacing the air intake tubes easier, he told me they are 2" ID flexible auto exhaust pipe, and while I had the side off I could clean the heat tubes. The skin was so rusted on the inside that quite a bit of it remained stuck to the insulation when I pried it off. When I removed the insulation it came out in chunks and I will need to replace it when I put this thing back together. I think the insulation is kaowool and Roxul anyone have a source for this or something better?

cm67 said:
Found out Greenwood is out of business today when tried to contact them about some issues with my year and a half old Greenwood 100. Of course I couldn't actually talk to any one at the Greenwood number so I contacted the dealer who sold me the unit and he told me the company had gone out of business and my 20/10/1 year warantee was worthless. My issues with the Greenwood have been pretty much the same as others have mentioned, from the refractory cracking top to bottom in the first month, to build up of creosote on the inaccessible parts of the heat tubes, and the bottom edges and sides rotting out . Now the air intake tubes have broken away from the damper. The dealer told me I should remove a side skin (which is tack welded on) of the boiler to make replacing the air intake tubes easier, he told me they are 2" ID flexible auto exhaust pipe, and while I had the side off I could clean the heat tubes. The skin was so rusted on the inside that quite a bit of it remained stuck to the insulation when I pried it off. When I removed the insulation it came out in chunks and I will need to replace it when I put this thing back together. I think the insulation is kaowool and Roxul anyone have a source for this or something better?
http://www.indfirebrick.com/

Ceramic fiber insulation is excellent but I think they put rock wool insulation in those green wood models.

Got a link or number to call for the ceramic fiber?

I just found this on the net. Kalamazoo Boiler Company Inc. has this posted on their page. " Greenwood Industries has went out of business. However the Aspen line of outdoor wood stoves has been picked up by Empyre and will become the Empyre Pro Series" Maybe they can supply you with the replacement insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.