Groundhog Day Poll

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What kind of weather will we see for the remainder of the winter season?

• Real winter weather is coming. Maybe a late winter blizzard.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
Since spring is right around the corner and six more weeks of winter mean pretty much the same thing, what is your prediction for Grounghog Day?

Weather channel hinted come mid Feb the El Nino or what ever is starting to break down and that means all that cold artic air in Canada will sink to the lower 48. Not sure I'm betting on this but something tells me we have been handed a gift for the first 6 weeks of Winter, so we may be in for it.

I voted real winter is coming but real winter has been here since Oct 20th.
Should have voted "early spring" but with the large cold air mass from Alaska to Russia, sometime that cold air will move, hope it goes north over the pole & into Europe :)
We got to +18°f today, 2" of snow, Jacket weather :)
10 more weeks of winter here, the groundhogs were are frozen stiff during the "Ice Age". LOL :lol:

Because there are no groundhogs in Alaska, the Marmot to become Alaska's version of Punxsutawney Phil,. No weather forecasting duties,

Marmots live in burrows, within rock piles, hibernate there . They come out around May

Attachments

• marmot.jpg
    marmot.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 293
I say go get some sausage. You get it? GROUND HOG! Once you've seen it made you'll never eat it again!!!

I still think we will see an arctic blast lasting a couple weeks and get 2 12"+ snowstorms here in the ohio valley and NE. Then, highs will get into the 70's and 80's soon thereafter in pa.

My thoughts as well. This year has been "semi" normal for winter. Do need more snow though, but it's nice that it hasn't all blow away like in years past.

Some parts of the L48 have been "normalish". My Mom said it was -30* the other day where they live in northern Maine.

bogydave said:
I voted real winter is coming but real winter has been here since Oct 20th.
Should have voted "early spring" but with the large cold air mass from Alaska to Russia, sometime that cold air will move, hope it goes north over the pole & into Europe :)
We got to +18°f today, 2" of snow, Jacket weather :)
10 more weeks of winter here, the groundhogs were are frozen stiff during the "Ice Age". LOL :lol:

Because there are no groundhogs in Alaska, the Marmot to become Alaska's version of Punxsutawney Phil,. No weather forecasting duties,

Marmots live in burrows, within rock piles, hibernate there . They come out around May

The last one, at least a couple big storms, couple cold snaps down around zero or below 3-4 nights in a row.

It would be easy to get over confident, but its only Feb 1st. In my neck of the woods Ive got another 2.5 months minimum of 24x7 burning and then regualr daily fires till mid May-ish. Plenty of time for the jet stream to change course and arctic air to wash down over much of the lower 48. I predict at least 2 12" + snowfalls before the Ides of March at my house.

While this has been a very warm winter, the precipitation has not fallen off one bit from normal...its just been mostly rain instead of snow. And I've woken up to more than a few -10 or colder mornings this season, so it aint over till its over. And it aint safe to put your tomatoes in the ground till Memorial Day.

All I know is that I'm planning on celebrating Woodchuck Day by having a Woodchuck hard cider tomorrow evening.

ive had robins in my yard for a week now, earliest ive seen thenm in several years, usually they are a harbinger but i have seen them then got snow afterwards (usually i curse them when that happens)

i think the geography of winter as wierd as that sounds differs year to year , some places will see a tough winter/spring while others will have a "winter that wasnt" so to speak

Thought about posting the same thing every day from now on at 8 am to this thread..............

We are not out of the woods yet. I think there will be a few more brief cold snaps and some more snow, but none of the cold, snow or ice will stick around very long. Gonna be mostly muddy until June.

stoveguy2esw said:
ive had robins in my yard for a week now, earliest ive seen thenm in several years, usually they are a harbinger...

I too have seen robins, but I learned years ago not to put
any faith in their appearance. I rely more on the Redwing
Blackbirds. When they show up, Spring is imminent.
Speaking of birds, the Canada Geese never left this area...

DAKSY said:
stoveguy2esw said:
ive had robins in my yard for a week now, earliest ive seen thenm in several years, usually they are a harbinger...

I too have seen robins, but I learned years ago not to put
any faith in their appearance. I rely more on the Redwing
Blackbirds. When they show up, Spring is imminent.
Speaking of birds, the Canada Geese never left this area...

Guy up in Abbot (north of me) said he was out hiking the other week and saw a bunch of robins . . . and I'm pretty sure they have snow -- a lot more snow right now in Abbot -- so I wouldn't put too much stock in the robins either.

For me it's the feline willows . . . and the mud . . . lots of mud.

I don't know if the groundhog saw his shadow, but there was a skunk up the road that will never see his again...phew!!!

Attachments

• skunk.jpg
    skunk.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 197
I've had a small flock of 8 or so robins in my side yard since Christmas.
Pretty much there every evening/afternoon.

I've seen one or two winter over before but have never seen a whole flock like that.

I watch for the red wing blackbirds, too and then peach blossoms and orioles. If I don't see either, I hear them.

Status
Not open for further replies.