growing vertical

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Here is a picture of my garden whith more vertical supports in it. In the front is netting for cucumbers. 40 ft of them. Did this last year with good results. On the right is pole beans and snow peas. In front of the cukes are tomatoes. All in those cheap cages, but soon to have post and hoizontal support added. The Cucumbers and Tomatoes are in what was some of my back lawn. About the only near level area. We can't eat the grass so under it went. We even dug up a big hydranger patch so we could plant winter squash. I planted 26 feet of yellow pole beans on the outside of the dog kennel fence. Then 26 feet of row of summer squash in front of that. Space is tight because of the woods, ledge etc.
DSCF2757 (640x480).jpg

Reactions: smoke show
I'd like to see a pic of that when the plants grow in a bit if you wouldn't mind updating this thread. When the time comes. :)

Will post updates. I'll look around for some of last years also.

DSCF2505 (640x480).jpg
I'd like to see a pic of that when the plants grow in a bit if you wouldn't mind updating this thread. When the time comes. :)

I found one from last year. Eventually, the cukes take over the entire net. When they do, they are near their end. The ones we get at the end are often odd shapes and very hit or miss. That is also when you discover those you missed hidden under the leaves. Those have grown to gigantic size.
I have moved the cucumbers patch this year to a place that was in the lawn. . They had been in the same place for two years. I don't grow things in the same spot more than two years due to bugs and disease taking over. If you keep moving them around, things like those darn striped cucumber beetles are way fewer in number.

Those big ripe cucumbers you make into sunshine pickles or if you have too many of them and chickens let the chickens process them into fertilizer.

Our chickens love stuff like that! You should see them attack cherry tomatoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.