Grubs in my cotton wood tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I have a medium size cotton wood tree in my yard. The last couple of storms I've had some limbs come down due to grubs making them weak. Should I cut the whole tree down ?
They seem to be eating in the limbs and not the trunk, but don't Know for sure. One limb came down and broke a smaller pine tree in half. Another came down and broke a limb out of my hickory tree. It Is by power lines and when the tree service for the power company trimmed it they didn't trim the limbs flush with the trunk. I think that may be what invited the grubs.

woodsmaster said:
Should I cut the hole tree down ?

Seems like a lot of work for a cotton wood. If it isn't hurting anything, I'd let time have its way with it.

The only thing it is hurting is my other trees. It could land on the house if it fell over ,but I'm not to cocerned about that. I do construction and if it fell on my house I'd be way ahead after a payment from the insurance company. Id hate for it to take out a nice evergreen or my hickery.

Cottonwood only gets bigger and not worth gowing in your yard..I would bring it down asap!

Cottonwood is a nasty yard tree...my neighbor has a monster one and it leaves white crap all over everything in the spring. I would drop it.

woodsmaster said:
The only thing it is hurting is my other trees.

You have a good reason to take the tree down, so take it down, it's probably ugly now anyway.

You will have to dispose of it somehow, so you may as well burn it........

Sounds like a load of free btu's from where I'm sitting ;-)

woodsmaster said:
I have a medium size cotton wood tree in my yard. The last couple of storms I've had some limbs come down due to grubs making them weak. Should I cut the whole tree down ?
They seem to be eating in the limbs and not the trunk, but don't Know for sure. One limb came down and broke a smaller pine tree in half. Another came down and broke a limb out of my hickory tree. It Is by power lines and when the tree service for the power company trimmed it they didn't trim the limbs flush with the trunk. I think that may be what invited the grubs.

Cottonwood is well noted for that and have you ever noticed after they've been cut or fell down how many are rotten in the center? They can be messy in the yard but they are also great shade trees. However, if they appear to be dead or decaying and by the house or may harm other things, including other trees, it may be time to get it down. However, even with them turning rotten so much they can live for many, many years.

Get rid of it.Once a few larger limbs are broken off,it can be a safety hazard very quickly.They arent known for withstanding high winds and heavy ice/snow either.

The local tree warden uses a rubber mallet to rap on city tree trunks. If it makes a "whunk", it is usually rotted in the middle. If it is a solid sound, should be okay. Where it is dropping limbs, I would probably take it down. Seems like a liability waiting to happen. Just my .02.

Sounds like a tuning fork...

Status
Not open for further replies.