Guard your wood stacks natural gasl went up $$$$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
In my area natural gas had another rate increase. This is the second year in a row. It's not a 2-10% increase more like 20.4%.
We don't worry to much, well supplied, but I work on an ambulance and get to see some pretty sad things.

With out our stoves I would really be sweatin.

Older folks from the depression still got some tricks left, I see a lot of people heating up bricks in a pot on the stove and moving them into colder rooms of the house. Newspaper jammed into every crack around doors and windows. Thermo's set at 50*. It's really a sad picture.

Here's the story: http://yourerie.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=129825

Hate the gas company.

Natural gas is so low right now its unreal. It has fallen that much from highs. Problem is our bills reflect more taxes then previous...mine does at least...

I dont have gas anymore since I moved to a new house a few years ago. PECO's rate cap is set to expire early next year i think....our electric prices are supposed to increase a lot also.

My understanding is that gas prices are really low now. And PA is the Saudi Arabia of natural gas with the Marcillus Shale gas reserve. Companies from Texas are all over the place buying gas rights, people are getting rich. Poor farmers are all of sudden multi millionares with unbelievable royalties. I heard one poor guy is now making $29,000 a day in royalties. Try $400 a month per acre for 30 to 40 years. They are drilling so much that I do not see gas prices going up much for quite awhile. But free wood is still hard to beat and alot better excersize.

If it's considered low now, I would hate to average or high!!
I know families with budget billing and newer homes paying 200-250 a month year round.
I don't do budget. This month I used about $35 in gas for the dryer and hot water tank oh and the grill.
Then I pay around 150 a month during winter and the furnace runs 8 days a month that I work and I'm not home. The wife doesn't like to run the stove so I don't push her in fear of a deadly mistake.

Now my furnace is really old so I have plans to upgrade for resale value more than savings right now. Itshard to spend money on an appliance that you know you're really not going to use.

Same in Alaska
Trying to pay for the Alaska/Canada gas line before it's even started.

I got some tax credits for upgrades, furnace & woodstove, added insulation, caulking/foam windows & doors
With credits & energy $$ savings, I almost paid for the upgrades in 1 year. This winter the $ cost should be paid for by the savings.
Then the savings ($$) will be mine, every year :) & tax free money in my pocket.

Need to hide my wood pile so they don't tax it next :bug:

The prebuy on propane this year in our area is offered at $1.99/gallon. Last year it was offered at $1.69/gal.

You guys in the midwest don't know how good you have it. The propane situation here is ridiculous. Not sure where it is in the supply chain but I am pretty happy that a 10 cord heap now sits in the space my 500 gallon tank used to occupy.

Wow 1.69-1.99 propane is almost usable, around me its 3.55 a gallon, hence my wood furnace. Natural gas just went down in South Jersey again, if they could ever be bothered to send some my way I would not bother with the wood :-O sacralidge I know, perhaps I would split and sell my scrounges :p

Uper said:
The prebuy on propane this year in our area is offered at $1.99/gallon. Last year it was offered at $1.69/gal.

Called my Propane supplier this morning.....$3.25/gallon

I don't care that it's 101* in the shade, I'm gonna cut some more wood this weekend!

ChillyGator said:
Uper said:

I don't care that it's 101* in the shade, I'm gonna cut some more wood this weekend!
That sucks, does it cost that much to get it to FL?

SolarAndWood said:
You guys in the midwest don't know how good you have it. The propane situation here is ridiculous. Not sure where it is in the supply chain but I am pretty happy that a 10 cord heap now sits in the space my 500 gallon tank used to occupy.

We got it Great without the wood furnace my gas furnace can consume 500.00+ of that cheap gas! in a month.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

We got it Great without the wood furnace my gas furnace can consume 500.00+ of that cheap gas! in a month.

In Northern New York our supplier is $2.62, I think thats down from last year.

zap

ChillyGator said:
Uper said:

I'm only one state away and cut a deal to replace my 250 gallon rental tank with a 325 gallon purchased tank last week. The propane supplier said he could fill it for me at $1.99 gallon.

oldspark said:
ChillyGator said:
Uper said:

That sucks, does it cost that much to get it to FL?

I'm not sure why the big difference in price. I'm in a rural area so delivery cost could be more and I use their tank with no rent so that could be part of it but it sure seems high. I had considered upgrading to a large stove over the summer but decided to go one more year with the mighty 7110 to see if a milder winter would work me less. I'm expecdting most of the winter to be in the teens now :lol:

Around here we get it piped right to the house, I am sure Propane is more because of the delivery. It is a racket but natural gas is the next petroleum as Boone Pickens predicts. We have more in the US (especially PA) than anywhere in the world. Don't get me wrong, we can spend $300 a month in gas here and my office building has already cost $2,000 a month. But it is going down in price and now Electric is our major expense. I spend $200 a month on electric even when the air conditioner is off. I have a heat pump but turn it off for the most part because the gas is cheaper.

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

Ha, that is why the spot formerly occupied by my gas furnace is now unoccupied.

zapny said:
In Northern New York our supplier is $2.62, I think thats down from last year.

That's a lot cheaper than the $4.25 they were extorting when I chained the tank behind the tractor and hauled it out to the end of the driveway.

I like processing my winter's wood. It's exercise, practical, green and bonding time for me, my dad and my kids.
But it's also economical. Your article proves my point. I couldn't live where and how I do if I had to pay for gas!
Happily burning wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.