Guess I am Anal about my wood stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Yesterday, I was updating a spread sheet I created to keep track of my wood stacks. I have a diagram of my Woodland and keep track of size (H-L-W), month stacked and any notes about the stack (like "all oak" or "mixed hardwoods"). My daughters walked in the office when I was updating my file and got a good laugh at my expense. For some reason they think I'm odd....???? Could they be right? Most likely I am

BTW, up to 18.59 cords split and stacked. In Nov of last year I had 13.5 on hand. Burned 5.75 last year so I have processed close to 11 cords in the past year.

Got Wood said:
Yesterday, I was updating a spread sheet I created to keep track of my wood stacks. I have a diagram of my Woodland and keep track of size (H-L-W), month stacked and any notes about the stack (like "all oak" or "mixed hardwoods"). My daughters walked in the office when I was updating my file and got a good laugh at my expense. For some reason they think I'm odd....???? Could they be right? Most likely I am

BTW, up to 18.59 cords split and stacked. In Nov of last year I had 13.5 on hand. Burned 5.75 last year so I have processed close to 11 cords in the past year.
What is (H-L-W)?

I think anything over 11.36 cord requires a spreadsheet too to keep it all straight. :lol: 18.59 cords, that really killed me.
It's always good to know there are others more obsessed than me. It's so much better to be odd than 'normal' anyway.

gzecc said:
Got Wood said:

What is (H-L-W)?

Height, length, width

midwestcoast said:
I think anything over 11.36 cord requires a spreadsheet too to keep it all straight. :lol: 18.59 cords, that really killed me.
It's always good to know there are others more obsessed than me. It's so much better to be odd than 'normal' anyway.

I hear ya! Feel the same actually. Once you get going with this wood obsession its a dang hard habit to break (not I'm trying to break it though). This will be my 3rd year burning. I found this site just before year 1 and quickly learned to get ahead. Took a philosophy of spreading the word that I wanted wood and then never said no to an opportunity. 100% scrounged and proud of it.

Got Wood said:

There is NOTHING wrong with you, my friend, you are in great company here. Example, here's mine:

wood_diagram2.jpg

PS The boat and trailer are not to be considered firewood - they are only reference points. :)

Shari

you are not alone. I use spreadsheets for EVERYTHING. Last year I made a spreadsheet to RATION my wood because it was my first year with fairly seasoned wood and a new woodstove. I have another spreadsheet that has ALL of my gas usage since I've lived at this place and also includes daily temperature information so that I could determine what percentage of my woodstack could be used each month. you can see the spreadsheet here on this screen shot:

Attachments

• excel woodstack (Small).jpg
    excel woodstack (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 843
I subscribe to the KISS principle.
Guess I'm fortunate to have a big field to stack the firewood.
Two 96' rows, and the woodshed in the front yard. When the woodshed gets empty, I'll refiil it with the oldest wood in the field, then refill that row. Alternate every year.
If it gets more complicated than that, I'm calling Got Wood, or Shari.
I know zap has stacks all over the place, and I have no idea how he keeps THAT straight. Quads too.
Then there's Dennis, who can probably pull from almost any of his stacks for dry wood.

It almost looks like you had negative wood left by April.......

Don't be so hard on yourself. I bought a commercial scale and weigh the wood that I am about to burn and keep a running tally. Since I know the BTU value of a pound of wood I know how many BTUs I use each winter.

I "eyeball" it.

Yep, I got enough.

Nope, better get cracking. More of the latter these days.

ansehnlich1 said:
Definitely some sick individuals on here. :)

I guess I might resemble that remark! Honestly though, I'm a 'new' woodburner. When I started stacking I didn't know how long it would take different types of wood to 'season' so I kept the types of wood separate. I made my 'map' so I wouldn't forget what was stacked where. :)

Shari

NH_Wood said:
It almost looks like you had negative wood left by April.......
yes, the spreadsheet prediction was that I'd have -1.5 inches, lol. It was wrong, I actually had a good +8 inches. For the first full month I pulled the rationed amount and aimed at burning ONLY that. I didn't even end up having to hold back, that amount of wood exactly fit my needs, so i just burnt away all winter and that spreadsheet became less of a rationing tool, and more of a prediction tool. at some point over the summer here I've started thinking i burnt about 3.5 cords, looking back at that sheet is a reminder that I burnt more like 2.75 or so. that's another reason note-taking is so important. I could have changed the number to 2 cords in my head and had the wrong amount stacked for this winter. Heck, I'm gonna be a year ahead just because I had myself convinced I needed 3.5 cords. Still could use that amount if the winter is longer or colder...

I plan like hell then when the season hits I burn like crazy. At the end of the year I am always lite on wood. It seems the more you have the more you burn. I finally have 2/3 of next years already cut and split so next year will be good. Of course I say that more often then not! :lol:

mtarbert said:
Don't be so hard on yourself. I bought a commercial scale and weigh the wood that I am about to burn and keep a running tally. Since I know the BTU value of a pound of wood I know how many BTUs I use each winter.

WOW! That takes some serious dedication.

Shari said:
Got Wood said:

There is NOTHING wrong with you, my friend, you are in great company here. Example, here's mine:

wood_diagram2.jpg

PS The boat and trailer are not to be considered firewood - they are only reference points. :)

Shari

LOL very similar Shari .... I bet that Live Apple tree has nightmares

Random thoughts . . .

HehHeh . . . as soon as I saw the first post I was reminded of Shari and her diagrams that she had posted awhile back . . . and I still think she is storing wood in her boat and trailer, but just doesn't want to admit the fact to us. ;)

I'm like PapaDave . . . I am nearly three years ahead which is good enough for me . . . this year's wood is in the shed . . . next to next year's wood (which was seasoned outside for nearly a year) . . . and the wood for 2012-2013 is outside and the stacks are still being added to . . . at least until the snow comes and gets too deep for me. I have a simple system . . . the wood in my woodshed that I am going to burn this year are in six rows and are simply marked with a marker with the year I put the wood into the shed . . . although even that isn't necessarily since I can remember this simple fact. When I loaded up the empty part of the shed this Summer with the wood for next year I did the same thing -- just marked the end rows with a marker with the year I put the wood in.

PapaDave said:
Two 96' rows, and the woodshed in the front yard. When the woodshed gets empty, I'll refiil it with the oldest wood in the field, then refill that row. Alternate every year.
I know zap has stacks all over the place, and I have no idea how he keeps THAT straight. Quads too.
Then there's Dennis, who can probably pull from almost any of his stacks for dry wood.
Here is a map of my woodstacks that I drew just for this thread (hee hee):

Attachments

• woodstack diagram.jpg
    woodstack diagram.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 287
Ha! Just a couple nights ago, my wife was commenting on how we should keep track of the number of splits we burn.... I was against it, mostly because I'm too lazy for that. I'd love to have the data, I just don't want to do the work. Ideally I'd like to record mass of wood burned, average moisture content of said wood, and average temperature for the day. But I just don't think I am dedicated enough to keep up with it.

Anyone burn alot of wood on here?

My brother's inlaws burn 95-100 cords a year. The boiler does heat the house, pool, machine shed and milking parlor though.

quads said:
PapaDave said:
Here is a map of my woodstacks that I drew just for this thread (hee hee):

quads, knock it off!
I damn near gave my monitor a coffee shower.
That was freakin' hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.