Guess we're buyin' a house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Real estate agent called today,sez fannie mae accepted the latest offer we made, closing 12/27/11 , I guess. Pretty excited, got a lot of work to be done before any move, but, couldn't pass up the chance. Hopefully move within the next couple years, gotta figure out first whether to fix up the house or donate it to the local fire department for a burn excersize, and start from scratch.

Congratulations Hoss.

4.7 acres, town road frontage, stream frontage, electric, well, septic system, house w/ attatched garage, woodshed, chicken coop, apple trees, deer tracks all over the place. Small town, pop. 800 - 1000, but the place I'm buyin' ain't right in the middle of town, it's out back a ways.

Webmaster said:
Damn gobment - redistributing my money and credit again...to HOss yet!
:coolsmile:
!

Yea , whatever, love you too.

Congrats Hoss. Sounds nice :)

Sounds like 99% of Maine, well other than the "small" yard. My brother bought a place like that this spring, not far from Houlton. His yard is around 300 acres though.

hossthehermit said:
4.7 acres, town road frontage, stream frontage, electric, well, septic system, house w/ attatched garage, woodshed, chicken coop, apple trees, deer tracks all over the place. Small town, pop. 800 - 1000, but the place I'm buyin' ain't right in the middle of town, it's out back a ways.

Apple trees are a good sign. About the only thing I can grow is moss.

Congrats! But I have to ask, how did you get things moving along so quickly? We've been under contract since the end of October and we still don't have a closing date.

Other than normal situation?

When I bought my place offer got accepted and I closed 2 or 3 weeks later.

Battenkiller said:
Congrats! But I have to ask, how did you get things moving along so quickly? We've been under contract since the end of October and we still don't have a closing date.

Maybe because it's a foreclosure? Originally in our offer we talked about closing in January, fannie mae countered with before the end of the year. Realtor sez probably a quota thing. She also said it was scheduled to go to auction in January if it didn't sell before.

hossthehermit said:
gotta figure out first whether to fix up the house or donate it to the local fire department for a burn excersize, and start from scratch.

How are property taxes there? From what I have seen, if you fix it up you fly under the radar while 1 sq foot of new construction puts a target on you. I am on my 3rd fix up (total rebuild) but would enjoy the opportunity to build from scratch some day.

Congrats . . . which town if you don't mind me asking . . . if I was a betting man and knowing where you live I would guess Orland or Orrington . . . possibly Frankfort or Stockton Springs.

SolarAndWood said:
hossthehermit said:
gotta figure out first whether to fix up the house or donate it to the local fire department for a burn excersize, and start from scratch.

How are property taxes there? From what I have seen, if you fix it up you fly under the radar while 1 sq foot of new construction puts a target on you. I am on my 3rd fix up (total rebuild) but would enjoy the opportunity to build from scratch some day.

Property taxes aren't bad, but the house is trashed. If we give it to the FD for an exercise, we'll probably put in a used mobile home. We're looking for smaller, simpler, one floor living when I retire in a year or two, late spring, summer, and early fall in Maine, same sort of place in Nevada or Arizona for the other 5-6 months.

Battenkiller said:

Maybe also because it's a cash sale, we're not waiting on financing.

firefighterjake said:
Congrats . . . which town if you don't mind me asking . . . if I was a betting man and knowing where you live I would guess Orland or Orrington . . . possibly Frankfort or Stockton Springs.

You'd be wrong, Jake........ Greenbush. Olamon, not Cardville.

Congrats hoss! All that and a wood shed! :ahhh: :coolsmile:

Congrats hoss,

You know what we say in the mill! No pic? didn't happen! Sounds ducky though!

Gonna miss the old place? I'll miss the sunset's and sunrise's you where posting for us!

Edit:

You gonna take the Revolution with you?

Good for you Hoss....I do some interior decorating on the side.....if you need me....I will give you a good discount.... :)

Good thing I'm not a betting man Hoss . . . nice area . . . one of our co-workers has a place up in
Greenbush . . . not exactly sure where though.

I'm sure its a good area. As long as you can keep out the Irish- OW! Dang! Stop hittin' me woman!

Good luck with the new home.

btuser said:
I'm sure its a good area. As long as you can keep out the Irish- OW! Dang! Stop hittin' me woman!

Good luck with the new home.

My wife is Irish, I learned a long time ago to avoid that sort of remark. I feel your pain.

Good fer ya Hoss. My sons are half Irish.

Finally closed on it Tuesday, gotta say, I highly recommend Consumer Title in Bangor, if anyone in the area is looking to buy property, they found several issues that caused 3 postponements on this, stuff that Fannie Mae had apparently simply ignored. Nice to find a company that takes pride in their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.