Gum Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Neighbor called this a gum tree, says it burns good just cain't split it. Well I gave up and cut ito about 6" pieces Ill burn it someday, It's in the middle of my future garden :zip:

Anyone ever dealt with these things?

Attachments

• SDC10184.jpg
    SDC10184.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 444
  • SDC10185.jpg
    SDC10185.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 478
I think Gum Tree is a name for some types of Eucalyptus? That sure ain't Eucalyptus.
Looks like Elm, splits like Elm...

Nope...that's gum. It's a b**** to split....just like elm is.

Liquidambar styraciflua

Well I did't show pictures of me trying to split it, only tried one gave up. Took foreever.

Looks like American Elm to me too and I hate that crap! Took all of it and tossed out of my woodstack, doesn't dry very good, sucks up water like a sponge.. Gonna get a burning permit and get rid of it.. Wasted lots of time and effort on that garbage wood!

Ray

raybonz said:
Looks like American Elm to me too and I hate that crap! Took all of it and tossed out of my woodstack, doesn't dry very good, sucks up water like a sponge.. Gonna get a burning permit and get rid of it.. Wasted lots of time and effort on that garbage wood!

Ray

I'm not going to waste anytime splitting it I'll give it 2 or 3 yrs see if it will burn I will try. Thanks I think that Gum is just a nickname because it wom't split :zip:

lukem said:
Nope...that's gum. It's a b**** to split....just like elm is.

Liquidambar styraciflua

Corrected. I should stay out of wood ID's from the South.

cptoneleg said:
Neighbor called this a gum tree, says it burns good just cain't split it. Well I gave up and cut ito about 6" pieces Ill burn it someday, It's in the middle of my future garden :zip:

Where abouts are you in north-west Virginia? I've never seen Sweet Gum west of the Blue Ridge. East of the Blue Ridge its plentiful. Its a bear to split, splits best when green, but even then its a pain.

FLINT said:
cptoneleg said:

Where abouts are you in north-west Virginia? I've never seen Sweet Gum west of the Blue Ridge. East of the Blue Ridge its plentiful. Its a bear to split, splits best when green, but even then its a pain.

Well I am south Of I-66 east of I-81 12 miles from Front Royal 16 miles from Winchester, and far enough from D C that I cain't smell that *hit hole. So that stuff is sweet gum?

cptoneleg said:
FLINT said:
cptoneleg said:

Well I am south Of I-66 east of I-81 12 miles from Front Royal 16 miles from Winchester, and far enough from D C that I cain't smell that *hit hole. So that stuff is sweet gum?

Winchester? Get outta here! My family is from Berkeley Springs. I love Winchester - the older, Civil War-era areas, that is.

The 2nd shot next to the wagon shows the bark better. I'm also thinking Gum. Not sure if it's the Black Gum like I have in my yard. Black Gum is difficult to split by hand, but I've done it with a maul. A hydraulic splitter may handle it fine. This bark sure looks like Black Gum to me.

I've dealt with it, and it is a pain. As a scrounger, I'm trying to get smarter with my wood ID so I can avoid stuff like this. Your solution sounds as good as any, saw it up and don't kill yourself trying to split it.

That trunk looks like it could be either Sweet Gum (Liquidamber styraciflua) or Black Gum (Nyssa sylvatica) or a couple of other trees. A Sweet Gum that size should have had some balls hanging on it. I think the wood is similar although the trees aren't related.

The top pic looks more like Black gum and the bottom one seems more like Sweet gum, but it really doesn't matter. You will never be able to split either one of the very effectively. The sweet gum tends to spark pretty bad when you do burn it also. I have never had any black gum to burn so I can't speak to that part of it. If you have to have wood then its ok but if you can do something different I would be looking at that.

cptoneleg said:
FLINT said:
cptoneleg said:

So what is that, like Strasburg area? You shouldn't have sweetgum there unless its been planted - probably black gum. Fine wood if you can split it. Try taking off an edge instead of trying to split them down the middle. its a lot of work for the wood, but if its already cut, might as well finish the job.

FLINT said:
cptoneleg said:
FLINT said:
cptoneleg said:

So what is that, like Strasburg area? You shouldn't have sweetgum there unless its been planted - probably black gum. Fine wood if you can split it. Try taking off an edge instead of trying to split them down the middle. its a lot of work for the wood, but if its already cut, might as well finish the job.

Mailing address Front Royal - Linden - Blue Mtn. area

I've been burning some Black Gum this winter. It was a relatively small tree, maybe 8in dia trunk on average. It was difficult but doable to hand split with a maul. Seasoned pretty fast. My verdict: worth it, and I'd do it again, but I just wouldn't go out of my way to get more. Maple is much easier to work with, for about the same BTU's.

Looks like sweet gum to me, I've got a couple of cords and it was a pain even with a 22 ton splitter.......in fact some of the larger rounds wouldn't split down the middle, they had to be split (almost peeled) from the outside in.........

spur0701 said:
Looks like sweet gum to me, I've got a couple of cords and it was a pain even with a 22 ton splitter.......in fact some of the larger rounds wouldn't split down the middle, they had to be split (almost peeled) from the outside in.........

Thats the chit

Burning sweetgum right now. That's the stuff. I split it with the Fiskars after it seasons in the round for a month. It makes fluffy ash.

myzamboni said:
Burning sweetgum right now. That's the stuff. I split it with the Fiskars after it seasons in the round for a month. It makes fluffy ash.

Thanks- where is Silicone Valley? Are ther alot of big BOOBS there :bug:

That looks like snag some call it hornbeam at least that's what it's called here in Ma. It don't split it shreds years back we cut this wood and it was used for rollers for the fishing nets out of New Bedford now they use old truck tires. Some of the smaller ones were used as rollers for boats and moving houses very twisted but rot quick. It could be gum but looks like snag to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.