Gun Guys. Topper model 158 H and R found it again.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I finaly found the rest of my old harrington and richardson topper model 158 16 guage. One half was in the basement and the other in the attic. After 2 and a half yrs of wondering I found it behind the old chimny on top of a collar tie. Exactly where I put it 12 yrs ago. When the kids got to be teenagers and I was in the process of the 2nd D-vorce I split it up. the half in the attic I could never find. OH WHAT A FEELIN!!! Now I need to clean it up. I dont' want to de-value it by doing anything harsh. Any advice is welcome. I don't think it is really worth a lot of money, but it is priceless to me.

0000 (super fine) steel wool with light gun oil might be a good start... if there is any rust. Go lightly, not much pressure.

Some of the cold bluing kits are not too bad, these days, if you feel like re-bluing.

If the rust is heavier (pitting) you might try the Bull Frog line of rust removers (maybe Walmart carries it, most gun shops seem to out here.)

The wood fittings might shine up nice with tung oil; without sanding. Refinish is pretty easy if you want to go that route and need to.

Good luck. Working on old guns is theraputic!

Your story brought back memories. My dad worked for H&R for 35 years and I worked for the company for a few summers going through college. Funny but my dad never owned a gun. The only gun we had in the house was an H&R 22 rifle which my father gave me only after I nagged him incessantly as a 12 year old. The two of us would occasionally go down to the H&R firing range on a Sunday afternoon so that I could practice. I still have the gun but it hasn't been fired for at least 20 years. Maybe, like you, I'll get it out and clean it up one of these days. Good luck with your project.
ChipTam

I've got one of their (actually NEF) handi-rifles in 22-250. It's been anything but handy though. The nightmare started when the release latch broke 3 shots into breaking it in. So I sent it in and after 3 months it came back and after 100 or so rounds it's started popping open on me. It's a pretty documented thing with these and I did a lot of the homemade remedies but nothing is really working on it. Since then it's been purchased by Remington and I've heard not to even send it in because the whole thing is in disarray (even more so than when Marlin owned them). It's a shame because it's a really accurate rifle if it stays locked up. Hope you have lots of fun with your 16ga. I always liked the 16, but it's harder to find the ammo now.

I will definitly post some pictures this afternoon, after I replenish the indoor wood pile that dissapeared the last two days. Suddenly I am not sure if I am going to make it all the way to april on this yrs wood. UGGHH.

so far, this is the best I could do. The photo's are not that good, but a good ole gun it is. I will clean it up and try it out again, now that the coast is clear. I suppose a trigger lock would have made more sense than hiding it in two places for all those yrs. I might have taken better care of it in the mean time, but you know, out of site, out of mind.

Attachments

• guns 005.jpg
    guns 005.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 269
  • guns 006.jpg
    guns 006.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 276
  • guns 013.jpg
    guns 013.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 280
I am trying to remember the name of the rust remover I have used when trying to clean up old hand tools. It is sold at automotive stores. I think it is called Evaporust. Works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.