H-Frame for cutting splits to length (PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loco Gringo

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2011
Western North Carolina
Sharing to help any newcomers who may have logs or splits that are a little too long for their firebox. I can cut a little or cut a lot by dividing the stand like this and I find it safer the higher I can stack them prior to cutting. There are screws on each side that I can hook a bungee cord to and pull it over the stacks giving it added safety while cutting.

Attachments

• 100_0444.jpg
    100_0444.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 6,566
  • 100_0443.jpg
    100_0443.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 6,273
Nice little setup...would help me a lot.
Now, I just gotta find a place to stack the uglies.

Nice - might try that myself. Cut about 3 cord about 3 inches too long last year - forced to burn E/W if I don't cut them down and my stove does not like E/W burning. Thanks! Cheers!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the idea.

I have half a cord of oak I got for free that I think I'll cut in half. The splits are mostly about 18 to 20 inches and cut in half they'd fit n/s in my stove. As is a lot will barely fit e/w while the longer ones won't fit until cut. Maybe I need to make something like your H-frame.

I like it! Thanks for posting.

Very cool. I had to enlarge that second pic, because my very first impression was you were using the empty side as a football target. :lol:

can i please see more pics of your shed?

Thats exactly what I need, I have over 1/2 cord of rounds and splits that are 3-4 inches too long. Thanks for the pictures.

TreePointer said:
Nice work, Loco Gringo! That's an improvement over the many designs I've seen.

Even better than THIS?

Attachments

• uyu.jpg
    uyu.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3,323
  • jgjhuk.jpg
    jgjhuk.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,066
Reactions: savageactor7
Stevebass4 said:
can i please see more pics of your shed?
Ill get some today Steve. And wood-fan-atic, thats exactly what I was using, just a different color crate.

I like it. I used to not care how long I cut it. If it fits on my splitter, it fits in my furnace. Not true with the new stove. I'm gonna have quite a bit to trim.

Nice, I just may be stopping by Lowes on the way home...

Here ya go Steve. 5 pallets using a few braces and I had a sturdy wood rack for nothing. I had the red roofing already but I bought the 2x4's to keep them supported. So for around 12 dollars I am good to go. As you may see I have my 8x16 porch lined with white oak to keep my girls from falling over. Ill burn that as a last resort in order to keep it in place as a border and bench type lining. I have all flat slab splits on the top to keep it neat and useable as seating. All together what yousee is about 30% of my supply, but some is still in rounds to be busted this winter for 2013-2014.

Attachments

• 100_0466.jpg
    100_0466.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 2,551
  • 100_0460.jpg
    100_0460.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 2,358
Reactions: albert1029
Since we all like pics so much I spun around and took another of some oak that I scooped up this month. Split about 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 100_0469.jpg
    100_0469.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 2,495
That is cool Loco. I like it. I usually stack on top of pallets and pound two pipes into the ground for an end support on one end and then stack against my fence on the other end. Good work and thanks for the pics. Like I have said before. I always see cool ideas on Hearth.com. You never know when you might see something you can use. Later.

I cant lie Gas, I actually got the idea from another member here. We should all be greatfull that we are able to gather so much info here, but not be required to even "sign up". Lets be honest, what is this weath of information we've taken from hearth.com worth to us in the long run? And it costs us nothing. Sure banner ads may pay for bandwidth, but most people in this day and age would be capitalizing from a site like this one.

Loco Gringo said:
I cant lie Gas, I actually got the idea from another member here. We should all be greatfull that we are able to gather so much info here, but not be required to even "sign up". Lets be honest, what is this weath of information we've taken from hearth.com worth to us in the long run? And it costs us nothing. Sure banner ads may pay for bandwidth, but most people in this day and age would be capitalizing from a site like this one.

You are right Loco. And speaking of that. Can you or someone else help me out. One thing I have learned with computer software is it is sometimes better to shorten the learning curve by learning from someone else who has already done it, rather than spend hours learning something that someone can show you in a few minutes. Can you or someone else tell me, and some others that might read this, a little bit about the history of this site. Who developed it? Who are the moderators? What does he and they do? Are they in business in this field? ETC. Maybe I can get that from the "man upstairs" himself. :)

I can tell you this. I enjoy this site. And I have and will continue to spread the word to all the wood burners I know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer those questions for me. My wood gassification system is running great and I can not believe how smooth of a transition I have had so far. From burning in a Pacific Energy wood stove, which I enjoyed very much, to burning in a Wood Gun gassificatin boiler and storage/buffer tank in parallel with my oil boiler. And heating DHW with my Triangle Tube Phase III indirect hot water heater. There. Before I joined this site, back in the winter of this year, I would not have known what half of that was. Cool. No more oil. Just wood!

Loco Gringo said:
Sharing to help any newcomers who may have logs or splits that are a little too long for their firebox. I can cut a little or cut a lot by dividing the stand like this and I find it safer the higher I can stack them prior to cutting. There are screws on each side that I can hook a bungee cord to and pull it over the stacks giving it added safety while cutting.

Very neat idea. How do you handle the cut offs, or uglies as someone else put them?

I must say that when I first saw your pictures really noticed your wood crib in the background, not because the H frame is uninteresting but because I was thinking of building a crib using some wood pallets that I scavenged. I like both. Thanks for sharing.

By the way, have you or has anyone else figured a convenient way to cut the logs to the same length that is quick and efficient?

I saw this thread, and finally gave it a shot.....mine works great...I lent a friend my power saws, so all the cuts were done with the chainsaw. I was thinking I would be too light and tend to fall over, but those 4x4's are heavy enough, along with the load of wood, to keep it upright.....so far I managed to cut 15 splits in one shot. I left the back open so you can stagger the wood to adjust length....all wood was scrap, so cost is zero ;{)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/RicksPhotos/DSCN2070.jpg

Looks pretty good BB, I have to get off my ass and make one soon, I have over 1/2 cord I have to trim down.

weatherguy said:
Looks pretty good BB, I have to get off my ass and make one soon, I have over 1/2 cord I have to trim down.
The "shorties", as I call 'em (cut ends), are great at kickin' up the fire....throw in a bunch of shorties, and boy does that heat things up

Looks great Loco. Love that roofing for covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.