Had my Last Fire this Am. - Pellet Stove put away soon for Spring/Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Well last fire of Season. Went thru 2.5 Tons of Pellets. Still have 2 Tons left and plan on buying 2 more in Sep. Opened up the Chimney and put Metal Cloth in Pipe going thru Wall (Keeps Birds Out) and opened the bottom cleanout so the Stupid Birds can just fall thru (otherwise I find their bodies in Fall).

Really Mild Winter here in E Washington State. Almost normal snowfall. But even this is going away fast. Alas soon (next week) time to play Lumber Jack and cleanup 2 fallen trees (Stack Wood on Pallet for Sis In Law).

Roof needs repair we had so much Snow at one time and it damaged the trim. That is getting fixed soon. 58f outside and 63f by Sunday. Nice! If Mother Nature is reading, no more 111f Temps this year. That was Brutal.

Snow all gone in Driveway (Here is it at Worse) and Pile by Tractor is 1ft Tall off Roof now.

IMG_20220106_094054211.jpg IMG_20220108_093435953_HDR.jpg

I have a friend who lives in Western Washington State and been keeping up with your weather and its been brutal to say the least--those pictures tell the story..I am somewhat interested in the Eastern side of Washington if I have to relocate but in your area I do not think this is a normal winter for you people..My friend has a relative on some big lake in Eastern Washington and she told me not to buy near the lake for she does not get along with that side of the family and she would never visit me---we laughed but its been brutal for you..nice pictures..Lots of work to do but it is sure beautiful country in that area...clancey

We're done for this winter too, haven't burned any for couple weeks.
We only burned about 1 ton total, very little snow.
Only had to empty the XXV ash pan once. ==c
Hillsboro OR

Reactions: Dataman
I'll clean mine tomorrow and then I'm off to Florida for 2 weeks. Whether I'll need the stove when I return home remains to be seen.
I'm on the NY/Canada border on Lake Ontario so it's hard to predict how things will be. I've seen snow on Mother's Day in my life.

This week was the first week this year I’ve been able to shut the stove off while at work. Still came home to a house in the 50s but at least it could warm up in a couple hours on HR 2. Also can monitor house temperature and start/stop the stove with my phone while I’m at work, so I can start it a couple hours before I get home.

Back to burning full time now, temps in the teens this weekend. I’ve probably got another month left, but I too have seen Mother’s Day snow on several occasions. Got about 2 ton left which is right on track since I started with about 5.

It was 18 degrees at 5:45 AM this morning when I went out to feed cows. I turned the stove on at 3:45 AM when I woke up to use the bathroom. Tomorrow morning's forecast is for a low of 18 degrees and 24 mph wind gusts, so I'll probably be doing the same thing again.

Last year I ran it a lot on igniter disabled, sometimes running for up to 36 hours continuously. We used 2 1/2 tons of pellets.

This year I tried turning it on in the morning for a few hours, off throughout the day, and on again in the afternoon or evening. We only left it on all night a few times (it was below zero about 4 or 5 mornings this winter) and only ran it all day long maybe one time. We used almost exactly two tons so far, but I expect to use some more here and there over the next couple of months.

I'm not sure if we gained anything, but I always felt wasteful keeping the stove running all night long when we didn't need that much heat just to sleep.

I should add that we have a propane fireplace that we set to 68 degrees at night. It kicks on and off (a lot more off than on). I don't think it ran more this winter than last.

Last night was -18::C with a real feel of -25::C
right now it is -10::C Think I'll keep the stove burning
We have another month of on and off heating before
we shut down for the season.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Won't be done with the pellet stove at night until at least May ( on and off burning). We're near the mountains and we get some temps overnight in early June down into the upper 30's low 40's.

Can't burn past April 1st. Stupid Birds think the 8" steel Pipe is great place for nest. They end up at bottom of the Cleanout or Inside Dead. So I put metal cloth and just run Trane XR13 (14 SEER) Heat Pump. Only runs for 3 hours or so (4am-7am). Then it's not needed. Running stove with metal cloth in the wall of house cloggs up and stove burns crappy after a while. but cloth keeps the birds out nicely. I try to rescue them. You have to only provide 1 clear escape route. Close Blinds and leave slider open. Going to be 25f Tue night. Heat pump does great job. Have not noticed it running that hard. 280kw (2600sq ft House, 2 Car Garage & Small Shop) in 3 days use. But most of the saving is from Warmer Temps and the four 4k shop heaters not doing much. 2 In Wife's Studio (Shop) and 1 In Garage and 200sq ft small shop attached to garage.

DSCN1381.JPG

Hit 70 here the other day, today 35 and light snow. Using the stove occasionally probably thru April I presume

The stove is burning right now! It was a nice sunny day today (started out snowing, though!) high in the 40s. It's supposed to be 30 tomorrow morning, so I've got the heater in the water trough too.

There's some cold rain/snow forecasted this week, so it'll be running for a couple hours a day on the cold days.

I’ve been burning steady all week. We had a nice weekend but all week it’s been winter temps, 20f this morning. It’s snowed every week this month too. Who knows what next month will bring.

Mine fired up yesterday morning. I had it set at 70, is usually comes on at 68. I thought I had it off, I know for the last month or so I switched from manual to auto and left it cycle on and off over nights is when it would using run.

My stove is on now only 10::C
and pouring rain also very windy
Keeps the chill off
hopefully, the last day of heat ==c

Mine was off last week when it got up to 90f in places. Now this week it’s been more normal, some nights in the 30s and I turned it on those nights.

I think I'm finally ready to do my summer cleaning.
Our weather in rural NY is weird. We've had heatwave days already back in early May that were near 90 and other days now in June where night time has hit upper 40's. Nights like that, the stove has come on via room temp mode a few mornings and we lit it up for like an hour a couple cool evenings. We certainly didn't *need* the stove those mornings or evenings, but due to some health issues, we wanted to take the chill out and I can't bring myself to use the oil for the furnace, especially at the current prices.

Ray