Had to vote absentee this year (but I voted)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
NH makes it hard to vote and even harder this year for some folks but they still grudgingly allow absentee voting. I expect to be out of town next week on election day so had to go to the town clerks office and fill out the paperwork and then fill in my ballot. Right or wrong I always vote so I have the right to complain after the fact;). Any political discussion post election starts out pretty simple, did you vote?. If they say no, I dont waste my time as they didnt waste their time to vote. It vuts down on small talk at some events but generally the "non voters" arent worth the effort. My mailbox will still get bombarded with flyers and my TV will still be loaded with multiple ads but its done and over until the counting. No doubt the mud slinging will get more frequent between now and then but I am pretty confident my mind will not change.

Reactions: begreen
I’ll just do the old fashioned way on voting day. But I too have my mind made up. My township is so small that there’s never a line. One year when recovering from surgery I was in no shape to be in there, so my mom drove me there (a mile down the road) and they brought the ballot out to the car.

Thanks for voting. I don't understand why any state would make it harder to vote. It should be the opposite and as convenient as possible for registered voters. We're working on our ballots at home now. They can be dropped off at the ballot box at our local library or mailed at no cost. We've been voting this way for a decade now.

The Princess & I cast our ballots before we left NY for the winter. Went to the Board of Elections, got the ballots, filled them out, & sealed & signed the envelope. Hoping to make a difference in "Vampire State."

I'm at the library in town every week to get the Sunday NY Times crossword puzzles for my wife, MIL, and SIL. Dropped off the vote-by-mail ballots at the city clerk's office in city hall.

My wife and I were watching the local cable channel on election night several years ago. A person was on the phone at a desk. She turned to the camera and rubbed her nose with her middle finger to flip the bird to whomever she was talking to. Keepin' it classy Marlborough. :)

Last edited:
NH has swung to a conservative legislature. 1/3 of the voters in NH are unaffiliated, republicans tend to be long term residents who usually vote and done so for years. Democratic party voters tend to be newer residents and new residents plus college kids so the GOP tends to try to throw roadblocks in the way of new voters. Lots of claims of voter fraud by the GOP but the few that got flagged from the last presidential election were republicans double voting for residences in two states. The unaffiliated tend to be longer term residents but they are not as reliable voters.

A bit of a rant is that I do not know anyone who will even answer a phone call from a pollster. The only folks who do, are hard core supporters so how good are any poll results?

My poling place has changed a few times, but has generally stayed within a few blocks of my house. Itll be 2 blocks and a trip across the athletic fields this time.

Looks like a record turnout in my area. Some may not agree with the results but at least they showed up.

I am glad younger people are showing up at the polls. That's a good sign.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Guys on a car web site I'm on posted that their polling sites have coffee and donuts. I've never had that. See it for the volunteers.

I work the polls in the ward that I live in, two men that I know said that their wife’s voted by mail because they were nurses and could not be sure if they would be available to vote in person, also the police working security all told me they voted early or by mail in ballot for the same reason. Service member and others have have their own reasons to vote early, it is not a steal, it is America.

Thanks for your work at the polls and to all the good people that make our election system work.