Half Goat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After bucking up the cherry and small sugar maple I went to check this beech out, it's on the side of a hill so I'm going top side and see if I can get close enough that I can winch it up.

Picture 2388 is the beech blow down,2389 is the rest of the beech standing and 2390 is looking down the hill from picture 2388 at the big beech I bucked up(earlier in Dec.) that was blocking the trail.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2388.jpg
    100_2388.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 440
  • 100_2389.jpg
    100_2389.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 100_2390.jpg
    100_2390.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 445
I think you might want to install a CO2 detector in your home.

I think you might have gone and went wood happy or as we say up north a little squirely.

If you gather that up you better be cold.

Zap, are you saying you are half goat? :lol:

That is some tough country to be cutting in.

tfdchief said:
Go for it Zap. Wish I could bring my winch and help you!

tfdchief after looking at your pictures from your trip I have a feeling you would winch your way up the side of the hill to the beech. ;-)

zap

CALJREICH said:

I think you might have gone and went wood happy or as we say up north a little squirely.

CALJREICH, just getting a good start on replacing what we are going to use this heating season. More time will be spent in the boat this summer fishing walleye or just relaxing.

Happy New Year

Zap

It is a good feeling when you look out the window and see you are four years ahead on the wood supply. :zip:

zapny said:
CALJREICH said:

CALJREICH, just getting a good start on replacing what we are going to use this heating season. More time will be spent in the boat this summer fishing walleye or just relaxing.

Happy New Year

Zap

It is a good feeling when you look out the window and see you are four years ahead on the wood supply. :zip:

Amen!

zap, that looks a little bit like my land there. I deal with the hills all the time. Not a bad idea to roll the logs down the hill after you cut them, if that would be easier. I cut one log this year that just went tumbling down the hill and into a ravine, never going to see that one again.

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
Go for it Zap. Wish I could bring my winch and help you!

tfdchief after looking at your pictures from your trip I have a feeling you would winch your way up the side of the hill to the beech. ;-)

zap
:) :exclaim:

zapny said:
CALJREICH said:

Happy New Year

Zap

Happy New Year too you. If you have to work in snow and on slopes be careful , because its a bad feeling looking out a hospital window with a broken hip or leg.

Happy New Year too you. If you have to work in snow and on slopes be careful , because its a bad feeling looking out a hospital window with a broken hip or leg.[/quote]

Went in up above the beech on the side hill and it looks like I'll be able to cut my way in then winch it up in log length in the spring. Attached are some pictures plus in those pictures you can see I marked the tree so I can find it from trail above it.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2421.jpg
    100_2421.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_2422.jpg
    100_2422.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_2423.jpg
    100_2423.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 267
Spring sounds good. Looks like you have some dead standing trees there as well.

CALJREICH said:
Spring sounds good. Looks like you have some dead standing trees there as well.

Plan on cutting some for next heating season.

zap

GolfandWoodNut said:
zap, that looks a little bit like my land there. I deal with the hills all the time. Not a bad idea to roll the logs down the hill after you cut them, if that would be easier. I cut one log this year that just went tumbling down the hill and into a ravine, never going to see that one again.

GolfandWoodNut, I lost a few rolling down a hill like that. If it is hard on the winch then gravity will rule!

zap

NY taxpayers always claim their property is 'so steep you'd have 2 b a goat. . .' ;-)

Cut yer wood, pay yer taxes, bask in in the warmth of your efforts . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.