Hamer's Hot Ones Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nannyscriv

Jan 1, 2011
Northwest, CT.
Can anyone tell me if they to are having an issue burning these....we have had nothing but bad luck with them...we are now at the end of a ton...been a VERY long and not fun ton I might add and are now off to get another ton of pellets....CT Pellet has these (we did not buy them from their originally) and they say they are great and should try again...but I was thinking of trying Barefoot Pellets instead (but now I dont know if I want to because of what I have read about them on here....seems to be the same issues as we were having with Hamer's).....Could it be that they were a bad batch, and kept outside in a greenhouse....or is it just that our stove doesn't like them....I might add as well we are very clean when it comes to the stove....hell its cleaner than my house most days...LOL! so I don't think its the stove! We were burning fine up until we got this ton...Thanks-

what have you experienced with hamers? I have power pellets, and they are supposed to be the same thing. I feellike I am getting a lot of ash...I am not sure though because this is my first ever season using pellets. I am a newbie.

nannyscriv said:
Can anyone tell me if they to are having an issue burning these....we have had nothing but bad luck with them...we are now at the end of a ton...been a VERY long and not fun ton I might add and are now off to get another ton of pellets....CT Pellet has these (we did not buy them from their originally) and they say they are great and should try again...but I was thinking of trying Barefoot Pellets instead (but now I dont know if I want to because of what I have read about them on here....seems to be the same issues as we were having with Hamer's).....Could it be that they were a bad batch, and kept outside in a greenhouse....or is it just that our stove doesn't like them....I might add as well we are very clean when it comes to the stove....hell its cleaner than my house most days...LOL! so I don't think its the stove! We were burning fine up until we got this ton...Thanks-
give the softwoods a try, i picked up a ton of VERMONT'S at BT Enterprises in bristol and these pellets are as hot as any others i burned, also very clean and low ash

We just plain old cant get them to burn AT ALL!! They are hard to get stated and then seem not to want to light up everytime they dump into the fire pot....they also over flow a lot on us...low ash and when they burn they burn great but key word is WHEN THEY BURN!!!...
lightyear said:
what have you experienced with hamers? I have power pellets, and they are supposed to be the same thing. I feellike I am getting a lot of ash...I am not sure though because this is my first ever season using pellets. I am a newbie.

nannyscriv said:
Can anyone tell me if they to are having an issue burning these....we have had nothing but bad luck with them...we are now at the end of a ton...been a VERY long and not fun ton I might add and are now off to get another ton of pellets....CT Pellet has these (we did not buy them from their originally) and they say they are great and should try again...but I was thinking of trying Barefoot Pellets instead (but now I dont know if I want to because of what I have read about them on here....seems to be the same issues as we were having with Hamer's).....

Hate to say it, but i'm guessing it's the stove. Hamer's & Barefoots are 2 of the best pellets you can get. You say it's very clean...well, everyone's idea of "really clean" is different.

Has the stove been taken apart and all ash traps, blowers, exhaust pipes, etc, been cleaned? Just vacuuming the firebox, scraping the burnpot, and emptying the ash pan just doesn't cut it after a while.

BTW, we also have NO idea what stove you have. Please put the make & model in your signature line.....makes things much easier.

Also, have all the gaskets been checked recently? Have you done the "dollar bill" test on the door? Is there a gasket on the ashpan, and is the ashpan closed completely??

imacman said:
nannyscriv said:
Can anyone tell me if they to are having an issue burning these....we have had nothing but bad luck with them...we are now at the end of a ton...been a VERY long and not fun ton I might add and are now off to get another ton of pellets....CT Pellet has these (we did not buy them from their originally) and they say they are great and should try again...but I was thinking of trying Barefoot Pellets instead (but now I dont know if I want to because of what I have read about them on here....seems to be the same issues as we were having with Hamer's).....

Hate to say it, but i'm guessing it's the stove. Hamer's & Barefoots are 2 of the best pellets you can get. You say it's very clean...well, everyone's idea of "really clean" is different.

Has the stove been taken apart and all ash traps, blowers, exhaust pipes, etc, been cleaned? Just vacuuming the firebox, scraping the burnpot, and emptying the ash pan just doesn't cut it after a while.

BTW, we also have NO idea what stove you have. Please put the make & model in your signature line.....makes things much easier.
Your right I should post what kind of stove we have ...sorry :/ Its an Avalon Astoria :)
Yes I realize hammers are one of the best thats why I bought them...and thats why I'm frustrated with them!....YES the stove is clean..YES I have cleaned all the ash traps...NOT just the burn pot and quick surrounding areas...cleaned stove pipe twice, took apart cov. blower cleaned all in there, took little trap doors off on back wall cleaned in there ...even made a scrapping tool to get into the cavities above trap doors...clean out hopper every other bag...take back plate off and vac that...also surrendered one of our fish tank tube cleaner brushes to get in all the tight spots (might add works really well)...and I dont let the ash pan sit with any ash in it....I have become VERY personal with my stove....YES it is clean!!...and still they burned not so good at all! From what I have read though in these forums after posting this that hammers has had a bad year with their pellets so I guess Ill have to wait another year to really try them out...but like I said before when they did burn right they were great its just they were not consistent and we had bad bad back up problems....

imacman said:
Also, have all the gaskets been checked recently? Have you done the "dollar bill" test on the door? Is there a gasket on the ashpan, and is the ashpan closed completely??
and yes gaskets all checked and did the dollar bill test first to see if it was that from the gecko..no gasket on the pan and its always closed.:)

I've been burning Hammers and they have been good except that I get a lot of ash from them. Switched to a locally produced softwood pellet last night.

I'm also having issues with Hamer’s, getting huge clinkers i have to dump them at least twice a day,but they do give off some awesome heat so it is a toss up i still have over a ton, no use in complaining to PRIMO pellets they do not return phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.