Hampton H200 thermometer placement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
I am installing my new Hampton H200 and just trying to figure out where to put a stove thermometer. The top is a cast hob that sits above the actual stove top to allow convection air from the blower to exit. So the stove top won't do me much good. The next best place I figure will be the side up high. I will experiment of course, after I get it running but just wondered if anyone else has the same problem (because of stove design)
I also installed double wall chimney connector so I bought a Condar probe thermometer to measure flue gas temperatures since a surface mount would not do me any good......Unfortunately, I also just read a lot of threads on this probe thermometer and its accuracy. I have always monitored temps on my stove but seem to be running into a big problem doing that with this new install. Any ideas or experience would be welcome.

Attachments

• H200-A-610x340.jpg
    H200-A-610x340.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 231
Seeing as though you have double wall chimney pipe (which is why I assume a magnetic will do you no good) then the condar should be OK. In general, the 3-39 probes seem to be reading high compared to the 3-19's. Keep things on that under 1000 and you should be good.

As far as the magnetic on the stove I would do just as you suggested and experiment with side placement. I ran a thermometer on the side of my stove for a year or so and it didn't read too much lower than my stove top. I'd say keep that magnetic under 650 and you should be good to go.

Beautiful stove BTW.

pen

Thanks Pen. I have of course burned wood for a long, long time, but feel like a new kid with this new EPA technology. Really excited about it though. I will let you know how it goes, although it looks like it could be next winter before I get much of a shot at it. Going to be a long summer looking at that pretty little thing ice cold for that long. And thanks.

I went through the same thing last winter moving to this englander from my old fisher.

The more I use the new stoves the more impressed I am. W/ your experience and attention to detail, you'll have no problems when those are mixed w/ some common sense.

pen

pen said:
I went through the same thing last winter moving to this englander from my old fisher.

The more I use the new stoves the more impressed I am. W/ your experience and attention to detail, you'll have no problems when those are mixed w/ some common sense.

pen
Thanks, I always need something to look forward to and this sure will be. And thanks for the compliment, that means a lot coming from you. I book marked this thread so I don't forget what you told me relative temps. I am sure you will hear from me next winter :)

W/ your experience and attention to detail, you’ll have no problems when those are mixed w/ some common sense.
Pen, and anyone else who might read this......sorry for the rambling that follows, but the more I thought about your reply Pen, the more I felt compelled to express some thoughts about this place and your comment about "common sense".

I have always considered knowledge as power and control, and I don't mean control of others, rather my own thoughts and actions. I have never considered myself that intelligent, but based on a lifetime of seeking knowledge, I have gotten by. This place has become an unbelievable source of knowledge. I thought I knew just about everything there was to know about wood burning, until I came across this place for the first time. I have learned so much!

Back to the common sense.....you are so right! Knowledge without common sense can get you in big trouble (I preach that to my firefighters everyday...if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!). Back when I first started burning wood, stoves were simple. I didn't have a thermometer anywhere. Now I do, because I read about how all of you use them and found out it just enhances the feed back the stove is giving you. However, after burning my old stove for so long, I still feel like common sense tells me how to burn it (that's all I had in the beginning).....the thermometer just becomes an easily monitored gauge. My old stove is an insert and convection on top, bottom, and sides, so I monitor temps at the top of the cast door. And I never go over 400 °F even though most of you would say that is low, because my common senses tell me that would be more like 600 on the stove top, judging by how the stove is cooking and smelling at that temp. I always wanted to direct connect my old insert, from the day I got it....it just made more sense. But I didn't know how, or with what, until I found this place. And I could go on, but I have rambled enough.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum. It has added so much more to my already enjoyable word burning experience.

Steve

As they say, common sense isn't always so common. However, I think a general rule could be applied to hearth.com members in that they have more of it than the average bear. After all, they were / are wise enough to realize they don't already have all the answers and come seeking help. That's why I came here.

I learn lots here every day. Lots of us that spend too much time on here basically work as human search engines of this site. We don't reinvent the wheel just help make it easier to access the information for those looking.

I was thinking, how much open space is there between the stoves actual top and that false external top? Any way an IR gun would shoot in there to get the temp of the real stove top?

pen

I agreee, have learned a lot of different things since joining.

Very well said.

I think placing it just at the front corner of the stove top, under the cast plate, so you can look through the slot and see the temp.
Will give you a good reading.

The one i burn as a display, i bring the stove pipe temp (18 inches from top of stove) and (single wall) up to 500 before i start to damper down. This helps to fire off the secondaries very nicely and bring the stove up to temp. When it settles in, i run it around 300 or so 3/4 of the way closed.

It's on a shared 8" chimney so i can't get away with closing it right off. The heat this stove can put out is impressive.

Looks great.

I was thinking, how much open space is there between the stoves actual top and that false external top? Any way an IR gun would shoot in there to get the temp of the real stove top?

pen
Great idea Pen, Again, don't know why I didn't think of that, but I am sure going to try it. After a few times I would know how that correlates with the surface one on the side. Thanks.

Install fire 1 said:
I agreee, have learned a lot of different things since joining.

Very well said.

I think placing it just at the front corner of the stove top, under the cast plate, so you can look through the slot and see the temp.
Will give you a good reading.

The one i burn as a display, i bring the stove pipe temp (18 inches from top of stove) and (single wall) up to 500 before i start to damper down. This helps to fire off the secondaries very nicely and bring the stove up to temp. When it settles in, i run it around 300 or so 3/4 of the way closed.

It's on a shared 8" chimney so i can't get away with closing it right off. The heat this stove can put out is impressive.

Looks great.
Install fire 1, so you have a Hampton H200 on display and burning in your shop? I will try that, but I don't think there is enough room to see what it says through the convection slot. The hob sits about 2 in from the stove top but the convection slot is much smaller, only about 3/4 in. and, I am afraid the convection air will cool the magnetic thermometer and give a false reading or at least relative to the situation. I guess I could run it with the fan off occasionally just to get a true stove top reading for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.